When a beautiful, under 30-something sings like an angel, she can become an American Idol. When a dowdy, homely 47-year-old woman sings beautifully, it is headline news. I'm certainly not knocking you-tube sensation, Susan Boyle, who stunned even Simon Cowell with her singing ability on "Britain's Got Talent" last week. She is a great singer and I have watched her performance of "I Dreamed a Dream" several times now.The problem is that recognition of her talent is directly proportionate to her lack of good looks and youth. What does it say about the civilized world that our expectations for greatness are diminished when people are unattractive and/or old? It's no mystery why American Idol screens out any would-be singers over the age of 30. We are a nation obsessed with youth. But does that mean an American Idol couldn't succeed if she or he were 35 or 47 or 67? I'm willing to bet that in the not too distant future Miss Susan Boyle - though still closer to 50 than 30 - will have artfully plucked eyebrows, a new highlighted hairstyle, trendy black trousers and blouse and lots of makeup. It won't affect her singing ability but will certainly make her look more like a potential star.
The results of this obsession with looks stare back at us from the covers of magazines and from our TV screens. Women of indeterminate age with lips resembling those of guppies, people who smile only with their eyes because the rest of their faces are locked into place, women with husbands the age of their grandfathers. When did looks and age become the bar by which we are each judged? Why have we allowed this to happen and how can we hand this legacy off to our children?
I, for one, believe that every line on her face was hard-won and adds to the character that is her. If Joan Rivers resembled something more human and closer to her age, I would like her just as well. And if Susan Boyle stays just the way she is - overgrown eyebrows and all - she will still sing better than her own idol, Elaine Paige. Talent and intelligence and heart are all internal; they don't rely on plastic surgery to sustain them. Looks fade, the years pass and it is a process that is natural and appropriate. Let's applaud Susan Boyle's talent - not in spite of what she looks like, but because it's an amazing talent.
WATCH:
.

107 comments:
'with lips resembling those of guppies'
More like diseased ducks !! Such superficiality gone so far awry.. into the realm of freakish! I'm floored that women go to that extent to try to make themselves look more youthful. Makes them look ridiculous and so very sad. The idea that they even think they have to look 'younger' is sick.
Susan is absolutely refreshing. Let's hope she doesn't pluck her eyebrows.. get a fancy new do.. or make herself over and fall into the perverted image trap that so many unfortunate women fall in to. I personally don't think she will fall for that nonsense.. she is far too cool and grounded for that.
She sang for everyone who's ever been discounted, overlooked, missed their calling, had talent that never got appreciated, had a life without opportunities....We're happy because life's been hard for her. And she got up there, and showed how much class and strength and self-love and self-belief she has.
And it was inspirational.
Thank you Lisa, your comment was awesome. It expresses how I feel. When I watched the clip, I cried. I love "Les Mis" and she was perfect. Her performance gave me chills.
Very well put.
The sad thing is that we have lost the ability to recognize female talent unless it comes in an attractive package. Remember Ethel Merman? Or Ella Fitzgerald? Remember Aretha singing at the inauguration, a diva to be sure, but no longer young and very overweight. Looks should have nothing to do with our recognition of worth, whether someone is a singer or a church volunteer.
Let's face it........Most music careers are short-lived.. Many "Idols" have had charted hits, made their money and then slipped away.
I think that the American Idol age restriction has more to do with how easy it is for the producers to manipulate contracts, etc. They don't want to deal with maturity, folks who might be inclined to hire outside attorneys and so on.
Certainly, it has nothing to do with longevity for few Idols other than Carrie Underwood have been able to maintain their careers past one album.
I don't care what anybody says, I think this shows that beauty is within. You don't have to shake your booty like Beyonce or bare a midriff like Britney Spears to display talent.
And it also shows that it is never too late to realize your dreams.
I was brought to tears and continue to tear up when I watch Ms. Boyle's performance. She is an inspiration and like that one judge said, it is a privilege and honor to have her sing.
Doc dropped the satire for this one, and rightly so, but makes a worthy point:
The eye-rolling ridicule which greeted Ms. Boyle when she first walked onstage is the same treatment accorded "outsiders" in any field, from the guy in workboots who walks into a lawyer's office and (correctly) announces what his legal issue is as well as the likely solution, to the housewife who (correctly) informs her doctor what she has and what treatment or medication will cure her--both lawyer and doctor will generally discount the client's knowledge until their own research and examination confirm that the client was right.
Ms. Boyle's stunning performance reminds us that one can't, as they say, judge a book by its cover.
I'm trying to figure what was so grabbing about this....not only Susan and her gift of singing...and the choice of song that was perfect for her worldwide debut.
But what it was for me - was watching people get changed right before my eyes in one phrase of song.
They turned from judgmental prejudices reaped from the sense of sight to acceptance, respect given and dignity restored in their minds toward Susan Boyle, the person. What a lovely tribute to the best in all of us. And for the "Susan Boyle" in all of us.
She brought the best out of Simon. Even Simon got me to like him in the viewing. Just so much fun to watch. Not only Susan, but the reaction of each one the camera showed us. So nice that we can share this on doc's blog. Thanks to Britains Got Talent, too.
I think you've got it precisely right.
If the American Idol auditions are any indication, these judges are thoroughly jaded from seeing, year after year, hundreds if not thousands of self-deluded people with (a) looks, personality, but no talent, or (b) looks, no personality and no talent, or (c) no looks, personality, or talent beyond a knack for drawing a crowd.
They can't often run into someone like Susan Boyle, who by any objective physical standard is no looker, but who clearly possesses an astounding inner strength and confidence, not to mention prodigious singing talent.
It was a beautiful thing watching her instantly win over those three in the front row.
I don't normally watch either the US or UK version of this show but Ms. Boyle's performance was a joy to see. But I'm told that American Idol has an age restriction of no one over 30. Is this true?? Obviously the UK show doesn't have this obscene rule or we would never have had the pleasure of hearing Susan Boyle.
The American version of Britain's Got Talent is not that vapid American Idol show on Fox, but NBC's America's Got Talent. There is no age restriction for America's Got Talent
I just googled Paul Potts to see what he is up to these days and was delighted to see that he is still doing very well and traveling the world singing. It seems that it is a ticket to a new life if you can get Simon to react like they did.
It is no secret that Simon Cowell is ruled by the visual and it is a sad truth that is a common male trait. Don't be afraid to move past the stereotype guys.
So happy for Susan Boyle and look forward to hearing more from her.
You may be right that Simon is ruled by the visual, but so is everyone else, you too if you are honest with yourself.
I don't owe Simon anything since I don't know him personally or work for him so you know where I stand when I say the following: Simon can be less than tactful in his directness or frankness when it comes to critiques, especially with American Idols wannabes.
The fact remains that in most of what he says he is right. And the fact is he also was very quick to give both Paul Potts and now Susan Boyle Contracts.
Only he will know whether its about a quick opportunity to cash in on a fluke or a genuine sincere effort to help someone. The simple fact is it is getting done.
And as far as it being a male trait only that remark is inaccurate. I've overheard plenty of women all the way down to young girls harp about how hot or sexy a guy is based on shallow things like muscles or whatever.
We Men are not alone in this and you will admit the truth of that if you are honest with yourself. It is an unfortunate side of human nature but as I understand it from scientists, quite normal for most species.
She is amazing---I was so teary hearing her, watching her, and seeing the audience turn from very hostile to adoring, in about three seconds.
Fantastic! I've listened to Susan's singing I Dreamed A Dream' over a half dozen times and it is just wonderful.
I've been forwarding this to all of my friends ...she is FABULOUS!!
This is the most heart-warming, inspiring story in the making. I hope Susan Boyle wins the competition and goes on to be a big Broadway and West End star. She's got the voice and the personality and did what she set out to do: She "rocked" the house with that gorgeous voice of hers. Go Susan!
Simply wonderful....
Yeah, I'm a cynical curmudgeon myself, but even my eyes watered up a bit watching this. Her story combined with her talent made it something special to see. I hope she does well after this.
probably the first time we've ever seen Simon Cowell shocked and awed.
Never judge a book by its cover.
Paul Potts was the male version of Susan Boyle, and he won last year.
I looked up Paul Potts and looked at a few of his recent Global concerts on YouTube.
He has had his teeth done (remember they were crocked on the top and strangely spaced on the bottom) so maybe that might help his speech and singing.
He has a new hip short hairdo and dresses in some really nice suits. His confidence has improved and you really see it. With all of that, he just has a sweet disposition as a human and has such kindness about him.
I am glad that Susan Boyle has become a lesson for all of us in life. Daily we discard people over 30 and make them useless. Age discrimination is so obvious in the work place as well in the music (Entertainment), industry. I am glad American's got Talent and the British version is out there so people from the youngest to the oldest can compete. American Idol has a cap on age so that is out for many future pop stars.
Choice of music is so personal, even then a music lover loves any kind of music that is able to lift their soul to a certain level, and you want to listen to it over and over again.
This performance reminds me of someone's song a few years ago , "Oh holy night", I had to do some research to find out who the singer was, it was "Josh Groban", then unknown.
This music also takes me there, and I already have listened to it several times....
ally mcbeal. We first saw josh on ally mcbeal, discovered by david kelly
and written into a show - after he sang, everyone who saw was affected, the networks were flooded with calls, started his career.
If ever there was a time when judging a book by its cover failed, this is it. This woman needs to be scooped up and delivered to Broadway. Wow! Saw a clip of her for the first time here, so thanks doc!
It was nice to see Simon Cowell act like a human being for once, with some humility. Thank you, Susan for silencing him. It was a beautiful performance.
I received this video over the past few days from several different people who don't even know each other. It's a sensation all over the net. so heartwarming to find a true untouched talent. hope her next 47 are filled with astounding success - and that she never is changed for the worse by it.
It takes a lot to bring tears to my eyes but Susan Boyle's performance did it.
How wonderful to see such an amazing talent at the beginning of her career. Hearing that wonderful voice coming out of a normal looking older woman was a true treat and inspiration.
How many others are out there who don't fit the conventional requirement of beauty are sitting on the sidelines when those far less talented are pushed in our faces.
Susan, I hope to hear from you professionally soon and I hope you have the success that Josh Groban has had, because you surely have an audience waiting for you.
Doc, as usual, is right. There is clear evidence of prejudice with regards to physical beauty. We assume more talent from the beautiful and less from the plain. Otherwise, nobody would have looked shocked in that audience. What an important reminder on the value of judging people on their actions and not just appearances.
I'm usually dismissive of the "talent" on these shows. However, no question that this woman is *extremely* gifted.
NOW if she can just get herself to a good outfit to make her much more attractive because let's be honest here, she's not exactly easy on the eyes. BUT DAMN she can sing. Reminds me of when Paul Potts came on and blew the walls off of the place practically bringing tears to the judges, and to the audience.
She'd be just fine with a decent makeover. Her drab housefrau couture doesn't do her any good.
First things first....
Somebody give Susan a long, deep, wet kiss....!!!
and a pair of tweezers
Aww c'mon now. She is who she is. An incredible soul!
photo
I have watched this vid many times yesterday on YouTube and today on Doc's blog, and forwarded to several friends....this woman is amazing.
I really really hope she makes it to the "bigtime" and makes lots and lots of money doing it.......she's so unassuming and natural and that voice (and the song) brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful surprise!!!!
What a beautiful song and a beautiful voice. I hope she wins. I love it when good things happen to good people.
This woman is farrrrrrrrrrr farrrrrrrrrrr farrrrrrrrrrr better than all the fake teen stars on American Idol....
This is a woman with a dream that I hope really comes true for her. She deserves it! She's wonderful. Truly gifted with a gorgeous voice and adorable personality. She's due and we're so lucky to hear her. I hope she becomes a big star in England and America. Go Susan!
Fans in Scotland uploaded it to YouTube, then it went viral, then on Entertainment Tonight, and yesterday Oprah showed the video, and Good Morning America had her on live via Skype.
When a true talent surfaces, it only takes a few days for world-wide recognition. Why? Because there are so few true talents!!
I watched this video for the first time today on doc's blog. Then played it about a dozen times. She is incredible. Her voice sounds like an angel's. Did anyone notice the faces of the judges while she was singing, they went from dismissive to awestruck in seconds!
I have watched it six or seven times, and I STILL get teary-eyed!
I'm known to have a tough persona; not easily rattled. But when I heard her voice, goose bumps appeared and tears in my eyes. It was a beautiful thing to witness.
Can anyone make out what she says after she says that she's never been kissed?
I believe she said "but that is no advert." As in, 'I'm not looking for it'
i think you're right - i think she says "but it's not an advert," as in she's not advertising it/not looking for it.
If this woman isn't being flooded with marriage proposals as I write this, I'll eat my hat.
Yes, not an ad, like she's not soliciting.
I don't care how great her voice is.
She'll never make it in the U.K.
Her teeth are too nice.
You see so many people on these reality/talent shows that have convinced themselves that beauty equals ability - they're always shocked when they're told otherwise by the likes of Simon Cowell.
I love it how most contestants also choose pop songs as audition pieces which pretty much anyone can sing; Susan's choice really showed her musical ability - you can't fake it on a piece that requires range and control of one's voice! Well done.
I love her! This is why the superficial corporate media titans should not control what we see and hear. Her voice is glorious, and her looks shouldn't matter. Dinah Washington, and many others would have never had a career by today's standards.
OMG!!! I love this story! Everyone loves an underdog and this is a true Cinderella story if there ever was one. I predict A STAR IS BORN! And we are witnesses to it. I'm not sure how many times I've watched this so far after hearing about it on the evening news, but when you do watch it, do so in the full screen mode in order to get the full effect. The combination of plain, unassuming Susan, the perfect song for her, the reaction of the crowd and, most of all, the reaction of the judges, makes this one of those magical moments in time. Whether this woman wins the competition or not, she already has a new career ahead. What courage it took to take the chance at this point in her life! She is an inspiration to anyone who has ever had a dream, but never had the chance to really go for it.
It. Is. Possible.
She embodies in real life what the song is about.
My thoughts exactly.
A seven minute lesson in what is beautiful (that voice and a well chosen song), and what is not (that haughty audience).
Simon is already pursuing her for a recording deal. He knows a 47 yr old overnight sensation when he sees one. Three days of adulation later, she is going places.
Well done Susan Boyle!
A fuller back story can be found here:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/04/12/singing-was-my-escape-from-bullies-115875-21272894/
I'm not surprised that Simon would recruit her. I loved the look on his face! It was love at first sound for him! Whatever anyone thinks of him, the man knows music and talent.
Once in a while in this ugly ugly world, something beautiful comes along and evens the score.
Thank you, what a nice way to say it and it was, wasn't it!
To think that only 5 yrs ago, before YouTube, this could not have happened.
Sure, she would've made it big on British television, and slowly made her way up in other countries, etc....
But it may have taken years.
Now, in a couple of days, almost the entire world has seen her and has been inspired.
All the very best to you, Susan. And thank you.
Her performance proves we equate beauty to a physical appearance...and how awfully wrong we are to assume that.
She shames us all in that respect. What a shame that we haven't had the joy of listening to one of the purest voices for the past 25 years. Hopefully, that will change.
Makes you wonder how many "not ready for MTV or music video" talents are out there.
Not that long ago, when we listened to records more than we watched music videos, it was talent that came through -- Janis Ian and Bob Dylan, not exactly "beauties" but the public was more open then to talent and looks didn't rule the roost.
Wow. What a voice.
There is a video of Elaine Paige singing this same song last month live in London on YouTube.
Elaine has apparently been around a long time, although I had never heard of her before Susan mentioned her.
I think Susan's voice is much stronger and fuller than Elaine's!!
There's also a great interview with Susan on Scottish TV done the day after her appearance up on YouTube...what a sweet, unassuming person she is...I hope she goes far and makes lots of money.
She looks just like one of my aunties.
Great voice!
I was expecting another 'so-horrible-it's-funny' video, and was as surprised as the audience and judges. Absolutely magnificent.
I can't stop watching it. I love this. Susan Boyle broke a barrier: the one that says if any woman wants to be anything at all, she had better be young, pretty, slender, and stylish. Her incredible talent and skill shine through and force us to admit that women of all ages and appearances have value.
I would love to hear her sing more. What a lovely voice--and her beautiful heart behind it makes it even more incredible.
Don't change a thing about her. Make a CD and I promise it will be a best seller. I'll be the first in line to purchase it.
I hope they don't insist on sending her to a legion of stylists and trainers.
If Susan Boyle married Paul Potts she'd be Susan Boyle Potts.
A watched pott never boyles.
now THAT is funny!
"A middle-aged volunteer church worker with the voice of an angel "
... and ...but for this program we would never have heard her voice, while the music industry focuses on pretty young things whose vocal failings can be masked with a myriad of computer techniques, this gorgeous VOLUNTEER would have quietly lived and then died without her huge talent shining out ....
What else do we miss while we continue to judge people on their looks, clothing and bank balances ??
Much!
Exactly what I was thinking. We may missing out on a lot.
Truly Amazing - that is a very difficult song and she mastered it with such passion.
When I first watched it I thought that it was going to be one of those auditions where the person is made a complete fool of and was oh so pleasantly surprised by her magnificent talent.
This is exactly what I would hope these shows would be about, finding that gem of talent which wouldn't normally be found.
Way to go Susan, may all your dreams come true.
There was a chubby, plain-looking middle aged gentleman who appeared on Britain's Got Talent, and Cowell all but laughed him offstage before he even opened his mouth. His name was Paul Potts. A slackjawed Cowell had to apologize to him after the lengthy standing O finally died down. Don't judge a book...
I made my teenage daughters watch it. It had the desired effect.
Amazing.
Even though their stories are different, I was reminded of Eva Cassidy, who also had a voice like an angel, but tragically died too young.
After her death, some BBC jock played one of her songs one day - and the Brits went nuts for her. Posthumously, one of her albums became a best seller, and news about her drifted back to the states.
I heard of her on a Nightline piece by Dave Marsh.
You can check her out by going to YouTube, and typing in EVA CASSIDY.
I don't remember when was the last time I was this moved. I want to hear more.
I cried like a baby -- in sadness for all the Susan Boyles who will never have such a triumph and in joy that this Susan Boyle is having hers.
Every day, the humanity of so many is lost to our prejudices, our snap judgments, and our ignorance. It was splendid to see Miss Boyle hit one over the fences for herself and, by proxy, for all those who go unseen and underestimated.
Bravo!
I'll trade all the Susan Boyle's in the world for all the Britney Spears of the world ANY TIME.
after watching her pelvic "never been kissed" gyrations right into the judges' skeptical faces at the beginning, i got the definite impression that this was not going to be a wee lass to be, as GWB would say, misunderestimated.
the voice confirmed that from the moment Susan opened her mouth and began to sing
i'm totally verklempt ......... please, talk amongst yourselves .........
LOL! Verklempt is right.
She has been living with and looking after her very elderly mum for many years, in the way that spinster daughters often used to have to, and her mum died a year ago.
This is her first chance to do more than sing locally and at church.
Some people are genuinely quite humble, and even although they have always been able to sing this well, don't actually realize how good they are, only having had a cat to sing to.
I'm just sorry that she was not 'discovered' twenty years ago, because surely the best years of earning potential, not to say vocal quality, are now behind her.
Susan is truly the real deal......I listened and was in tears before the first chorus.
This was the most uplifting performance I have seen by anyone in years.
She says she wants to be a singer like the great Elaine Page (who virtually owns this song)... Susan, you just out-sang your idol!
Congratulations, I hope we hear much more from you!!!
Triple Wow! Wow! Wow!
I am in tears......
MORE FROM BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT 2009...PHENOMENAL DANCE ACT!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GrOMLylvhQ&feature=related
This is a voice Mozart would write an Opera around.
lol...the look on Simon's face after she got going was just priceless...
Her voice brought me to tears in seconds and that's never happened before.
I got chills
for me, goosebumps
However each of us was affected, there's no denying each of us was affected. Spread the emotion, email it to your friends, have them email it to their friends... it's a ponzi scheme that will do some good for a change.
- inspirational
- real
- genuine
- uplifting
a star is born
She was the same person from beginning to end - it was the people watching who were changed.
Yeesh....you folks are living in the past. I don't listen to anyone over 17 anymore because the Disney stars (the only REAL stars) are just sooooo talented and OMG sooooo beautiful!!!
Any REAL music fan knows that if you are over 12 you are "kicking it old school" and need to get out of the way of the REAL talent and hot hot looks of today's young and REAL stars.
I mean come on....old singers didn't have pitch correction machines or professional makeup artists or midi samples instead of a stupid old band to back them up....who wants to listen to or watch that old school stuff????
Go Miley! Go Disney! Go Jonas Bros!! You are soooooo talented OMG OMG!!!
LOL! You're too much, doc. Love it!
We yield to the master. Doc rocks!
Couldn't let a blog go by without slapping on some awesome satire, could ya, doc? You're the best.
Still got the touch, doc. LOL.
Like that do you? Can't help myself. Here's the one I was going to blog before I got all verklempt:
The success of singer Susan Boyle on the reality show Britain's Got Talent has caused both television networks and their viewers to reconsider the intrinsic value of ugly people, media experts say.
In living rooms around the world as well as in the executive suites of media giants, those exposed to the Susan Boyle phenomenon are grappling with the paradox - thought impossible up until now - that an ugly person could be talented.
In New York, NBC chief Jeff Zucker confirmed that his network was "seriously considering" lifting its official ban against featuring unattractive people on the air.
"For years, the letters NBC have stood for 'No Butt-ugly Characters,'" Mr. Zucker said. "We're beginning to re-think that."
Jenifer Genterson, a news anchor from Abilene, Texas, is just one of a chorus of beautiful TV talking heads who have been startled and inspired by the surprising presence of talent in an ugly person.
"In the TV business, we're told that beauty is everything," Ms. Genterson said. "But Susan Boyle has shown us that ugly people have the right to live, too."
But Professor David Logsdon, who studies the rare occurrences of ugly people in the media at the University of Minnesota's School of Communications, warns that the isolated example of Ms. Boyle may give ugly people around the world too much hope.
"The fact is, only one in a million ugly people will ever get on TV," said Professor Logsdon. "Most of them will wind up in academia."
Elsewhere, one day after lifting travel restrictions on Cuba, President Obama said he would send Vice President Joe Biden there for the next four years.
:) Dr. B.
These are great, but I'm glad you hid them away in the comments and blogged a serious article about Susan Boyle, because she's a marvel.
I love that the teabaggers got no press, it was all Susan Boyle
She was in heavy rotation all day long on cable news, which couldn't have been less interested in cutting away to teabaggers.
Is it any wonder? Susan Boyle steps into the spotlight and opens her mouth, and before she's sung three glorious, crystal clear notes, the audience is cheering, the judges' jaws have dropped, and I'm choking back tears. Why would the MSM want to cover teabaggers when there's this phenomenon occurring?
One Republican got booed at his own teabagging party, so that made the cable (CNN) news. They booed until he quit. LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QsY2r7HbTM
Post a Comment