WELCOME TO DR. B.'S WORLD

This new white format allows me to post complete pics (the other Blogger formats cut them off, practically in half). Pretend you're reading your newspaper or something.

Dates separate each post, barely, so look for the dates on the left. Print is large & readable. Comment section is unchanged. My Profile info was at the bottom, but I moved it back to the top. Deal with it.

[Disclaimer: Pursuant to the UCC (Uniform Comedy Code), all depictions of events and persons on this site are more real than reality itself, and therefore any resemblance to reality is not really real.]

Unbalanced. Unfair. I report. I decide.

ABANDON HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE. If you have already abandoned hope, please disregard this notice. In this blog, you'll be exposed to the way I see things. Lots of things. Stuff I think of. Things that happen. Random weirdness. Occasional seriousness. My life. My world. My universe. My reality. By reading this, you have given me brief control of your mind....

Dr. B.

Dr. B.

About Me

My photo
You damn kids get off my lawn.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

G.O.P. --- R.I.P.

[I have been working on today's blog for several days now, and since Buffy went to bed earlier tonight, I've had time to polish and publish it; be warned - it's more a full tilt verbose rant than satire, but it needed saying. - Dr. B.]

So there it stands: a naked, pigeon-chested old man, random strands of white hair on its bony shoulders; its swollen-knuckled hands clasped over its dead genitals, looking at once forlorn and menacing, shivering with self-loathing and xenophobia, raging pathetically at its timely and appropriate defeat at the hands of Reason.

Ladies and gentlemen: The Republican Party.

With every passing day, the people who stubbornly, maddeningly cling to an obsolete ideal and who stand in the way of the cultural advancement of this country, this America, spew their caustic ideology into the air.

The Republican Party is like a dying tyrant, mad with syphilis, ironically like that very Stalin they would accuse their enemies of associating with. How else to account for their desperation to resurrect the wraith of Joseph McCarthy; the hammy and baffling utterances from high level party officials like Boehner and McConnell; the blatant desire on their part to let the country fail out of sheer resentment; the wanton sedition of Conservative shit-stirrers ranging from the quasi Madame Defarge Michele Bachmann, to the (alliteration alert!) pill-popping porcine propagandist Rush Limbaugh?

It is an all out assault on reason, on progress, on truth. What is the difference between the fundamentalist neocons of the Republican Party and, say, the Taliban? A rogue by any other name would smell as rank. Their frantic accusations all churned out in a futile effort to explain their current pariah status is as pathetic and draconian as stoning a woman in the street.

I feel I must apologize for my own particularly disgusted anger. It's unseemly and ugly. But finally, the enemy is clearly outlined. We can see it for what it is and what it always has been. It exists not in myth but in a reality which has plagued humanity for millennia: utter, hateful ignorance born from a fear of truth, indeed a fear of life itself; a mad and impotent pursuit of some long-forgotten ecstasy having spawned generations of paranoid power addicts who chase the past at the expense of the future, cloaking their real intentions in perfumed patriotism and the seductive swoon of religion.

It's so fitting that we are living in an age where beheadings, torture, piracy and now unbridled power mongering are all common place. Perhaps that element of humanity is going back into hibernation and is snapping at any and everything before its eyes finally close. In our lifetime the choice has never been so stark.

Don't be intimidated by that naked, pigeon-chested old man. His party's over.



.

95 comments:

TheIndependent said...

Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel, Doc? LOL.

So, "G.O.P. --- R.I.P." I won't be sending flowers. And don't even think about asking me to contribute to a memorial fund.

As an Independent I do believe it's healthier to have a tension in government based on a good debate between liberal and conservative. But for conservative views, I think another party will have to exist. The current GOP ain't it. There's nothing conservative about them. Just petty, lying, racebaiting paranoia. I'd be embarrassed to cast a vote for a Republican now.

Joey B said...

Holy shit. Right on! I couldn't have said it better myself. No, really, I couldn't...I needed to look up most of the words you used. Loved it!

keepingfaith said...

Thanks doc. I needed that.

costadelbarto said...

where will we spread the ashes?

adlib said...

Spread? I was thinking more along the lines of 'flush'.

snuffaluffagus said...

"Unseemly and Ugly" or not, your anger is shared by a significant number of us. I have a tendency to let the slobber fly, myself, when I consider that agglomeration of filth. That sort will always exist, I`m afraid, but one should always strive to drag them out into the light that weakens and sometimes kills them. Keep it up, doc. You do good.

demninja said...

I for one am not at all embarrassed to admit that I've been on "death-watch" for the GOP for years. I will be incredibly pleased when the beast breathes its last!

ranting tommy said...

You think YOU can rant, doc? Step back and let me at 'em! Eight years of fascist, right-wing Christian fundamentalism are hopefully over. It is frightening to think about how civil liberties were crushed to the point of McCarthyism; how the United States government used euphemisms such as "enhanced interrogation methods" to lull citizens into blind trust for the president when he said no torture was occurring. He said Iraq was stockpiling ingredients to make WMDs. Our president invaded Iraq unprovoked, with no clear purpose, no clear agenda, and no strategy for exiting.

Legislation Bush passed included halting stem cell research; permitting illegal wiretapping; either tacitly condoning or actively approving a paramilitary organization (Blackwater) to participate in the war because they were not US military and therefore not held to standards of conduct of the Geneva convention. Bush started an international conflict on the premise that Iraq had access to WMDs with no evidence to support that contention. Realizing there were no WMDs, the mission changed from WMDs to freeing Iraqis of the evil tyranny of any type of government other than our own. He approved torture under the guise that if it was done in a foreign land, we would not be held accountable. Bush will be remembered as one of the worst presidents in history.

Extremists like Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Bill O'Reilly, and Glenn Beck were hailed as heroes in our fight against an unknown enemy with an unknown number of troops who were on an equally nebulous mission to attack democracy.

It makes me sick to my stomach.

jimbei said...

For added fun, read H.L. Mencken's eulogy of William Jennings Bryan. It's along the same lines as doc's blog (which is spot on, btw), except Mencken's piece is even more vicious and imaginatively eloquent, believe it or not (no offense, doc).

http://www.peeniewallie.com/2005/06/h_l_menckens_ob.html

What is sad about Mencken is that his words could be applied to any of a number of today's GOP politicians.

123dee said...

Thanks for the reference. I enjoyed the essay.

Lisa said...

Wow! Should be required reading! Thanks.

dlinguist said...

The republican party will reinvent itself and come back with some new Rove-style Madison Avenue image, armed with cutesy slogans like "compassionate conservatism" and "family values."

They'll conjure up some Ronald Reagan clone and parade him out there as the savior of Americanism and honor, and throw a few new promises to the Christian right.

And they will attack, attack, attack anything liberal.

They've won many times this way and we the people have suffered because of it. But all too often they get the votes, and the power that goes with it.

3primecubed said...

Beck, Hannity and Limbaugh are enjoying great ratings right now. Highly disturbing, as we saw during the election there is a really ugly, ignorant segment of our society.

I would never presume to believe the GOP is dead....I think of them to like Michael Myers in Halloween or Jason in Friday The 13th......you only think they're dead but then the body disappears only to show up later more vicious and bent on a higher body count.

123dee said...

Terrific post. Thank you doc, you are right on. Please keep it up!

turkeyinthestraw said...

The GOP will die as it shrieks and panders and throws hissy fits elevating the least compelling aspects of the party's history (paranoid McCarthyism, blatant lies a la Nixon, etc.) and chases away any reasonable conservatives.

Their sickening display of bitter complaining and refusal to assist in solution-formation will doom them. The ideology of small-c conservatism isn't dead, but it is taking a backseat to grandstanding and tantrums.

MObamican said...

The 46% of them who voted to put Levi's nemesis, Sarah Palin, in the White House still support her and her ideals.

Shar said...

Yes, we now see the beast without its finery once all the chamberlains and dressers have deserted. Mr. Potter in his wheelchair.

The right, at this point, has no idea how to govern. This is the same problem faced by Al Quaeda, Hamas, and most other extremist ideologies.

Bereft of power, they can only hope to tear down their enemies, and have no idea what they stand for beyond opposition.

rumplestiltskin said...

Harry Reid said something accurate about these thugs that will stick with me for the rest of my life: "They (Republican congressmen) lie when they get up in the morning and lie before they go to bed at night."

shanghai slim said...

Why do I think doc's talking about the GOP as King Lear?

yermammy said...

I seem to recall the Republicans being even worse during the past eight years. While we call them outdated, irrelevant, and impotent... they were calling us traitors, fascists (ironically enough), and an entire host of other smears.

At least our criticisms of the Republican party are based in fact... unlike anything the GOP says, which exists entirely in their own fantasyland view of the world.

Jacob Von Hogflume said...

Apparently the governing of the country isn't nearly as important to them as their fanatical power mongering. Fanatical. Like the Taliban. The point is well taken.

miss mary said...

I think doc's venom is appropriate. Should those of us with some degree of a clue to the nature of the GOP scam just let it drop in the service of bipartisanship? That sounds like the abused partner going passive waiting for the next beating.

EISENHAUER said...

I share this anger, but with some regret, as I do know some nice people who are Republicans. Mostly in the old-school, Eisenhower mode. Their party has betrayed them.

I wish I so confidently shared the hope that the worst elements of humanity are, as Dr B. suggests, heading into hibernation for a while. I'm not quite sure they don't still have a substantial audience here, and around the world. But we can hope.

glitch said...

Sounds like they need to ask themselves what's more important- being an American, or being a Republican.

Sadly, I also know some basically nice people who choose the latter. That's why I try not to talk politics with people I'm somewhat close to- many times, it can cause me to lose any respect for them.

adlib said...

"What is the difference between the Republican Party and, say, the Taliban?"

Republicans have better tailors.

ThomasPatrick said...

Spot on, Doc.... and scary as Hell.

I fear the shooting of police officers earlier this week by a nut-job who seems to have had an ideology similar to and inspired by that of Glenn Beck & Chuck Norris, et. al. is not the last of such incidents.

That they cannot see the damage world-wide and here at home done under Bush is nothing short of astonishing.

Keep 'em coming, Doc. I enjoy your writing - in a perverse way - every time you let it rip (hey, I made a funny: "G.O.P. --- R.I.P.")

obamarican said...

as far as I can remember, the GOP have recently compared THEMSELVES to the Taliban.

http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2009/02/sessions_gop_in.php

cltclt said...

Representative Pete Sessions (R-TX 32), the Chairman of the Republican National Congressional Committee compared the republican strategy in opposing Obama to that of the Taliban.

Andrew S said...

The Taliban were chased out of Afghanistan, but they'd do ANYTHING to get back in power. It does have a familiar ring, doesn't it?

heavyload6 said...

Republicans want control over a woman's body. Just like the Taliban.
Doc, you made an incredibly accurate comparison, one it looks like the repubs did on themselves. Religious nuts deserving no political power!!!!

maven said...

The GOP choose a lonely road for itself when it starting bolstering its arguments with invented facts and fantasy narratives.

Today's GOP does not seem to know the difference between their fantasy narratives and reality.

After Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy did little for the economy, the GOP still calls for more tax cuts for the wealthy.

The GOP insists there is no such things as global warming despite what scientists have concluded.

As the GOP goes to fantasy land, they expect others to follow. But people must decide between actual problem solving and just going along with fantasy narratives as a child would.

magnus_the_rhino said...

The biggest threat to our country today is the Republican, based on their thoughts, words, and deeds. If they really believed all they say about Obama and his policies and his agenda, they would behave in a more serious manner to safeguard this country. They do not. It is all one big political game to them and the people are in no mood for dirty political games right now. We are too vulnerable. They are to be shamed.

petra said...

Great blog today, Dr. B! Good follow-up to yesterday's 'Baracknophobia', and the earlier ones like Letterman's 'Party Of Yes', and your ones on Michele Bachmann and Rush Limbaugh.

I have been thinking the same thing as you for some time now. The GOP become more fevered in their lunacy as they become less relevant. These are the death throes of the republican party. Death at their own hand, how fitting.

madbonger618 said...

You know who is the most angry at today's GOP? The "real" republicans and conservatives. Just like the ridiculous religious right has besmirched the followers of Christ, the neo-cons are still trying to gut conservatism.

goin broke said...

Doc: I share your anger, but not your conclusion, which is undoubtedly satirical, but anyway, there are far too many half-wit idiots out there that support these clowns for reasons that I will never understand.

zakfish88 said...

You're right. Too many half-wits. Too many idiots. Like the ones who ignore the effect that Diebold machines have on our voting system, who otherwise genuinely believe in the results from Diebold voting machines, or who believe that Diebold machines accurately produce numbers showing the actual viewership for "news" programs. The Republicans are not going away, not as long as they can continue to steal elections.

Ravenback47 said...

Very well said Doc as usual.

But I don't think the party's over. We thought Nixon killed it and we ended up with Reagan, without whom W would not have been possible.

I think we need to run on the assumption that these pusillanimous cretins will keep trying and eventually land something. The Republican party has been hijacked for decades. It will be awhile before the grip of the crazies is truly loosened.

longtimeamericalover said...

A careful reading of the history of our country would suggest that doc's obituary for the GOP is great satire but premature to say the least.

What the GOP is peddling appeals to a very large segment of our nation.

60 million votes in 2008 for a crazy as a coot presidential candidate and a vp candidate with scarcely a breeze between her ears.

Fear of foreigners, fear of people of color, fear of the poor.
Government for the rich by the rich.

These are proud national traditions that stretch back to the very founding of our country.

alaskan99577 said...

wonderfully written. cathartic. now I can move on. thank you.

nostradamus said...

As long as there is an entrepreneurial class that seeks to raise its profits by lowering its taxes; as long as a large group exists that can ignore the cruel fact of the economic pyramid and believe that hard work is all they need to reach the top; as long as there are those that believe that life begins before birth; as long as the hatred of homosexuality exists; as long as the Old Testament is taken literally... there will be the GOP.

Average American said...

Once again the wise one nails it.

JerrysKid said...

Excellent, Dr. B. From now on, when hear the term G.O.P., I'll summon the image of the naked old man you so perfectly described in your first paragraph. It would be easier to show more tolerance for their opinions if I had any inkling that their screeching was ever for the common good rather than their own.

canarypapers said...

Yes, doc, that's exactly what the "new" rethug party is beginning to look like. Thanks to president obama and his amazing work ethic and ability to walk and chew gum at the same time, they're dazed and confused. It's like standing at home plate and being faced with 20 pitchers, all winding up.

The once celebrated gop message machine doesn't know what message to say "no" to. By the time they figure out what they'll all say, it's old news. They'll never get their act together. President O doesn't respond to them, he acts and they have to try to get up to speed and they can't do it. The gop is sunk - they can't think independently - they've always been the Borg.

I hate stupid people said...

Brilliantly written doc... as usual!

And may that angry, greedy, hateful, mean-spirited, fear-mongering, divisive, self-righteous, power and control mongering and EXTREMELY intolerant old man known as GOP R.I.P!

Now that we know EXACTLY that his "symptoms and diagnosis" are cancerous, maybe we who really do love this country can work on the cure, so the he will NEVER be allowed to rise again!

This is a different age, and folks are hungry for change and change has come into their "awareness", and will no longer sit idly by and allow that grumpy old coot called GOP to continue to run our beloved country into the ground at his every whim.

As each day passes, not only this country, but the world can see that old man GOP will stop at ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to regain their power and control, including and CERTAINLY not limited to outright lying and peddling as much hate and fear as they can muster..... and yes, if allowed to, they would even destroy this country to have it. R.I.P. old man GOP!!!!

Gretchen30 said...

Ditto!!

pensiveobserver said...

"chase the past at the expense of the future..." That's a good line to keep in mind with ANY candidate or leader. Nice one.

cclawyer said...

Would that it were so, Doc. But...

Firstly, there is a booming media business constructed around right-wing rabble-rousing 'never mind your conscience, never mind the country' - we're making money with Glenn Beck, Ann Coulter, Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, et al, people (and I use the term loosely) whose sole function is controversy and fomenting hatred who are at the top of their careers. It's very profitable.

Secondly, it is a very complex structure. Somehow, the rich, white guys at the top, have convinced the poor, disenfranchised folks at the bottom that their freedoms and their country are being protected by the very interests that keep them poor and disenfranchised.

"Be ever vigilant in case the gays/blacks/hispanics/atheists/liberals/socialists" - whatever - destroy the country.

And every time, without fail, these poor folk take the bait. Led by the same type of people who have fought progress for our entire collective history: the people who jailed Galileo, who brought you the Spanish Inquisition, who celebrated Joe McCarthy, who still believe that the US Constitution allows them to take away the rights of anyone they don't like, who are, apparently, quite willing to see our country go over a cliff as long they regain their majority in the next election cycle.

We must NEVER assume them to be 'dead'. They are gathering strength with the only means left to them - poisoning the hearts and minds of those many who still listen.

"When fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross"
- Sinclair Lewis

redelf said...

Good comment! You have defined the GOP very well and in words that I hunt for every time I post on this subject! The POISONING of America and the fight against progress...the GOP. Sinclair Lewis was right!!!!

skippydoorknob said...

WOW. I needed both a dictionary AND a thesaurus for today's blog. Doc, your PhD is showing ;)

kiwiscanfly said...

Just to round out the imagery:

I picture the naked old man foaming at the mouth and screaming "Look over there! That man is naked! Naked Naked Naked!! He has no clothes on!!!"

Kristen said...

Yes... all true, but there is one thing that baffles me. I grew up in a small town and there was a "disturbed" man who stood on the street corner and screamed things that clearly showed that he needed to be hospitalized.

And the mainstream media, at least a few times a day, metaphorically drives to my old town and picks up the guy and puts him on TV and actually acts like what he is saying is NEWS. I can name the old screwball now: Boehner, McCain, Palin, Bachmann, Limbaugh, etc.

Why in the WORLD would they do this? I truly do not understand. If someone has any idea please reply to my comment.

And if that is not enough they also put on Meet the Press, a show almost as sacred as news can get, David Gregory... he of so-so intellect and clearly a lover and defender of the above mentioned... ahem... street corner people. Why?

Do they not realize that we know everything that is going on? Do they know that 90% of Democratic Party members adore our President? There is lots of actual news to cover, so what in the world are they doing?

obama4life said...

To me, it is journalistic dereliction of duty.

As they say in TV newsrooms, "If it bleeds, it leads."

Sensationalism sells, news is now 'product'.

The public has a pathetically short attention span and a voracious appetite for tabloid gruel, filling, but unsatisfying and devoid of nutrients for the mind.

That's the way the public wants it and, because the clever profit-minded corporate types are attuned to the demand, that's what they get.

gluchnurse said...

It's about money! They in the Media think if they do not stir the pot, fewer people will watch or listen.

However, I do think it is better to know the Enemy than having their actions fomenting under the cover of night! How can one counter their intentions if they are operating and manipulating events and spreading misinformation... letting things simmer and bubble under the surface?

turkishtowel said...

You make a good point. The problem becomes: When does exposure devolve into publicity or, worse yet, promotion? That's the danger.

Shine a light, but not so much it encourages growth and affords these neocons a platform.

proshot22 said...

You make a good point. It looks like they are being baited to come out and act out in questionable ways and they are obliging.
They sure do put on a show! "Talking Points 8.0."

As long as we keep making progress in spite of them, we might as well enjoy the entertainment, keeping it right in our faces. We'll know where they live.

fougasseu said...

Yes, the Republican leaders, its radio and TV personalities, and some members have become more than a little looney but that doesn't mean the whole party is nuts.

I know a lot of moderate Republicans, including many of my relatives, who are extremely upset about what is going on in their party.

They all voted for Obama mostly due to Sarah Palin and her extreme right wing views. The destruction of our economy and the War in Iraq also contributed heavily to their decision to vote for Obama.

However, some of the comments here are right on the mark. The rich, mostly white, Republican elite are using the poor religious folks as tools to maintain themselves in power. Look how the likes of Ann Coulter, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, John Boehner, Eric Cantor, etc., are repeating the 'no new tax' mantra even though it only applies to the super rich, but they are stirring up the people who have no hope of ever attaining that kind of wealth.

They are putting themselves and their corporate buddies ahead of the rest of us, trying to protect their wealth and status.

globalcitizen said...

I agree with pretty much all of this blog. The Republican Party, as its platform now stands, is doomed to a demographic death, since much of it holds little to no appeal to voters coming of age in the 21st century. For them...

- Socialism isn't a dirty word. Quite the opposite to many.

- Ronald Reagan is little more than a name in their history books, no different than, say, Calvin Coolidge.

- Writing oppression and inequality INTO the constitution is distasteful, for some even unfathomable.

That said, a dead Republican Party would effectively leave a one-party state. That would be even worse than this. The Republican Party needs to moderate to survive.

I'm 100% certain that, short of a coup d'etat (which would seem to be on the mind of some rabblerousers like Beck and Bachmann) the Republican Party as it exists right now will never occupy the White House again.

mspye said...

All the polls show young people in favor of gay marriage, stem cell research and anything else progressive. Republicans will die out because they are like doc characterizes - old white men who are actually dying.

docwang said...

Actually, this blog is not over the top...it may sound that way, but look who is out there promoting these extreme views:

The repubs cry 'fascism' when Bush & Co. were closer in truth to that definition.

They cry 'socialism' as if it were communism to any programs that would help all americans.

They spout lies about 're-education' camps although they could certainly benefit from it.

They ginn up hate and fear and call for revolution (Palin, Beck, and Bachmann to name a few)!

I am so thoroughly disgusted and sickened by these rightwingers. The GOP has no integrity and no foundation to reality. They seek political power at the expense of the country!!!!

They talk about failure of bipartisanship and blame Obama when they are the ones that are failing at bipartisanship.

All these politicians like Cantor are playing games and one-upmanship. They think they score points if they are rude and insulting like the governor of Nevada or ASU.

Instead of being statesmen, Rove and especially Cheney show their true lack of character...they just keep poisoning the air!!!

mad cathy said...

Holy crap, sir. When you aren't just posting videos or caption this photo, You can WRITE. Nicely done, nicely said.

"The Madness of King George" indeed.

semisarcastic said...

This is why I now refer to the GOP as the Whig Party...

cynicallarry said...

Well done. If only it were true though.
The GOP isn't dead, more like un-dead.
Soon enough they will rise, rotten and shambling, from the grave, and terrorize the populace in their unholy search for living brains upon which to feed.

keebiejeebie said...

The Republicans are so bankrupt, cynical, and devoid of any ideas one might associate with the civic good, that it is amazing they have even the following they now have.

When they are in power they are effective at carrying out their true agenda, which is usually not the agenda they campaigned on.

Their agenda appears to be whatever the Wizard of Oz tells them it is, including spending gobs of money, not really cutting anything, (so as to "starve the beast"), and proving how incompetent government can be by being as incompetent as possible.

They remind me of something out of Italy or Germany circa 1940, except they are more careless and clownish, and - thank God - incompetent.

nana4g said...

The Republican party is the party of the rich, and that it will remain no matter what happens to the zombie you describe. When it reaches a point of no return, all the images can be let go and in the background it will still be the party of the rich. If they lose their grip on power they still have the budget to cast for new messages that will appeal to new segments of voters. It won't take them more than one or two cycles to leave all this behind and start the recovery and be reborn with new leaders and a new constituency.

The Republican/Evangelical connection might have a more lasting effect. The rich have no lasting ties to religion, but Christianity has not yet even begun to deal with what it has done by selling its soul to the party of the rich.

Trifecta said...

The rich do all they can to influence both parties, but the Republicans govern so that rich people can get richer. The rich profited from selling goods and services to make war on Iraq. If the Republicans were still in power, the rich would profit from guarantees of long term control over oil in Iraq. The rich profit from no new energy solutions so they can keep selling oil. The rich profit from not cleaning up the environment because they own the companies profiting from the way things are. The rich profit from small government because they don't want to spread the wealth. Can you recognize these conservative values? Democrats are not blameless, but the Republicans are the party of greed.

obamamama said...

"It exists not in myth but in a reality which has plagued humanity for millennia: utter, hateful ignorance born from a fear of truth, indeed a fear of life itself; a mad and impotent pursuit of some long-forgotten ecstasy having spawned generations of paranoid power addicts who chase the past at the expense of the future, cloaking their real intentions in perfumed patriotism and the seductive swoon of religion."

Sounds like a perfect description of the condition of ORGANIZED religion today.
"Ol' time religion", indeed.

This repub god is dead.

t2tim215 said...

The Republican party is in its death throes and I for one would not offer a hand to help them.

The reason for this is not because I seek their demise, rather it's because they refuse to recognize their fall and would rather take me down with them then accept an unclenched hand. They'd rather stick with failed pageantry from Palin than listen to the few rational minds among their ilk.

Dr. B., I say "why bother diagnosing them?" The cancer evolves with each new cure introduced into the system, the Grand Old Philosophy party is dying and maybe for once America need not interfere, rather we should consider changing our views on euthanasia.

mork345 said...

Great piece! I agree with doc 100%

doughboy said...

More than being just satisfying, your clarifying depiction of these characters is important for our collective sanity. It is insane how much acceptance they are afforded by the MSM.

And for anyone who questions your comparison with the Taliban, the Taliban may be more savage, but the neocons are more insidiously destructive, and both are religious entities that desire country-wide political control.

ill in illinois said...

they own the MSM

Juno Mary M said...

The Taliban owns the MSM?

Anais said...

Didn't you know? Lol.

Gustavsaves said...

Great Post. The repubs are imploding and are out of touch. The world saw this way before we americans caught on to the repubs' solutionless, divisive venom.

With the Hannities, O'Reillys, Becks and the Bachmanns encouraging hate, misinformation, and discontent, expect the loonies to be even more restless.

Now I see why Reagan cut support to mental health... he had to preserve the repugs' base.

jodi said...

Unfortunately, I think the GOP is like herpies. They go dormant for a time, but they keep coming back. ewwwww.

glenn1441 said...

I love this blog. Doc just wrote everything I've been feeling over the past 3 months. The GOP is like a dying old man, desperately trying to stop the world from changing before he leaves it, even if that means destroying it in the process.

navarro said...

The more successful Pres Obama is, and the more it appears things are going well, the most outrageous the rhetoric from the right. I suspect a direct correlation could be made between the two.

doubledown33 said...

Powerful rhetoric. A bit harsh perhaps, but it's time the truth was told. And the truth is not pretty. We've been sold a bill of goods by those who have no interests at heart but their own. Blinded by jingoistic patriotism and seduced by the greed and malfeasance of the GOP, we are now in the early stages of paying the piper. As I said, it's not going to be pretty.

Jacques said...

I don't think it was too harsh - I wish we COULD say that. The smears, lies, propaganda, and outrageous garbage they are spewing, inciting uprisings, is not, imo, something to dismiss in any way. They've plenty of listeners who aren't the brightest that are taking it all in and willing to act. It's scary stuff.

ikeedikeed said...

It's going to be awhile. the next GOP president has not been born.

flash said...

Really good imagery. I've long seen the GOP as led by bloated, flabby faced, old white men. And you're right - they are becoming bitter, hateful, and irrational as they see their power slipping away. The key word in GOP is O for OLD.

oregon_ivy said...

Great post. I have often looked at the GOP as a beheaded chicken scurrying about with blood squirting from the fatal would, as it runs about - already dead, but not yet fallen.

MarkFradl said...

"A rogue by any other name would smell as rank."

Dr. B, you are a true poet. Thank you for writing what the rest of us cannot because we lack your talent.

ProudObamacan said...

Guess it's my turn to come out of the republican closet on this blog, which I have enjoyed only as a visitor until today.

As a Republican and fiscal conservative, I cannot believe what has happened to my party. I recently read 'Conservatives Without a Conscience' by John Dean - he outlines what used to be the Republican party values and outlines what happened to the Republican Party and Conservatism. Basically, folks like Barry Goldwater hated the right-wing religious nuts and thought they could never be real politicians, because politicians need to be able to compromise.

I now enjoy watching Keith Olbermann's Countdown and Rachel Maddow and laugh derisively at Rush, Hannity and Billo the Clown.

I cannot identify with ANY major Republican candidates (Palin, Jindal - give me a break) and am a huge supporter of President Obama.

While I am still a registered Republican, I barely ever vote for Republicans. I am waiting for someone who is intelligent, non-neocon, scientifically-oriented, and has a vision of the future.

Until then, the best person for me and for our country is Barack Obama.

reepicheep said...

Wonderful post (*as I shake your hand*).

dhokra said...

Maybe you should change your registration to Independent.

ProudObamacan said...

Thanks for the advice. I may HAVE TO change; but, I am hoping the Republican Party gets real and starts acting like the party it should be like: States rights, smaller government, and personal rights - how can a party like that want to tell people how to live (and be anti-gay; get involved in abortion, etc.) I think Gov Schwarzenegger and Gov Crist are getting close to being real republicans and I understand Schwarzenegger may switch to being an Independent or even a Democrat, as his wife is.

I am beginning to believe that current republicans hate lower and middle class folks. Even though I would be personally affected by President Obama's discontinuation of the George W. Bush tax cuts - and pay more in taxes, I believe that government has a responsibility to provide value to their constituents - why pay any taxes if your idea of government is NOT to provide for those who cannot provide for themselves?

I got a real hoot out of the Republicans getting behind Joe the Plumber (even though his name is NOT Joe and he is NOT a real plumber) - here is a guy that should never even think about being a republican, but the McCain team put him front and center.

I find it hard to think about becoming an Independent when we really have a two party system. Again, I fundamentally believe in Republican values - but current "Republicans" don't seem to have any values...

twisty said...

Joe who? (already forgotten)

Ack said...

Wow! An honest Republican who doesn't have to throw stones or say nasty things about our president and his wife.
You're a good man Charlie Brown!
Thanks-really! And now that you've come forward here, keep coming back!

oldenoughtoknowbetter said...

I grew up in Wisconsin, one of the most schizo places around, politically. I am a raving socialist, yet I have had many thoughtful, insightful, and meaningful discussions and debates with what used to be called "rock-ribbed Republicans," who believed in fiscal responsibility, personal accountability, small government, and as much personal freedom as possible given our system of government. Those were the days... Now, this crowd bear no resemblance to those folks, and we are the poorer for it. No one with any brains will dismiss those old-fashioned conservative arguments if they are presented with facts, logic, and honesty. Welcome, and I look forward to seeing and responding to your posts here on doc's blog.

ProudObamacan said...

Thank You. I do love to listen to Senator BernieSanders of Vermont (on the Thom Hartmann Show) who says he is a democratic Socialist - I would like to meet him. He is great. He makes a lot of sense. The more I read and learn about socialism, it makes more sense. I just returned from Europe and things there don't seem too crazy. Again, I am in what would be considered the upper middle class and was brought up in an upper class, Beverly Hills home. My parents were very strongly conservative Republicans. But, times are a changing. This economic climate may fundamentally change all our points of view (I guess I mean people who actually think for themselves).

I guess I just don't buy into rigidly supporting a party - I think compromise is good. And, I think Obama is doing an amazing job. In a short time, he has done more for America than George W. Bush did in 8 years.

Nick said...

As Janeane Garofalo said years ago: being Republican is no longer a choice. It is a character flaw (no offense, ProudObamacan. She was referring to the repubs you dislike as well).

lightbrigade said...

I say let them keep it up, if they marginalize themselves then that would be great. The GOP has given us 45 years of Race Based tactics, wars, job loss, greed, selfishness, rightwing radio, FOX Noise, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Michael Savage, Ann Coulter, a failed middle class........

I think they have done enough harm......to America....don't you think???

Dr. B. said...

The only difference between a zombie and the Republican party is that zombies have some interest in brains.

zztopside said...

lol But how do you REALLY feel?

highandmighty said...

ROFL

Blog Archive