The Gathering Storm ad by NOM which I posted a few days back has spawned many parodies in its short life. I posted Stephen Colbert's parody ad and one other video for good measure.
Now Funny or Die is getting in on the fun with a star-studded version that boasts Alicia Silverstone, Lance Bass, George Takei, and Sarah Chalke. The ad offers an answer to the gay marriage issue: a giant gay-repellent umbrella that will shield god-fearing Americans from the storm.
WATCH:
.

105 comments:
Colbert's version was superior--I especially loved the "Oh no, the homo storm got me!" moment.
But something as stupid as the original ad can never be parodied enough.
Amen...*
I disagree. Colbert's was funny, but so was this.
Bring on as many parodies to this preposterous bigoted ad as we can!
There's plenty of room for more...
This is a great video. Props to the celebs who organized this. I hope this gets the message out.
OH NOES!!!!
It's raining teh gays!!!
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"... and it'll be choreographed. It'll be good."
Ha-ha!
Now that's freakin' FUNNY!!!
"Gay people will start falling out of the sky.......they will dance at us"
LOL!
It will be choreographed. And it will be good..
And it will be choreographed!
George Takei was the best. However, Colbert's parody has this one beat by a comedy mile. "Oh no! The homo storm got me!!" LOL.
Making fun of ignorance is so fun. Ha! The ExtremeRethug/Christians are the laughing stock of the world.
would argue that Rethugs (what is left of them) in general are the laughing stock of the world.
OMG! It's the Gay Rain Army!!!
ROFL!
So disappointing that the website giantgayrepellantumbrella.com isn't real...
I love George Takei.
Everyone in the video was hilarious. I was cracking up as people tried to wipe off gay falling from the sky.
Is it catching? ;}
I don't want our children catching the gay!
I believe you meant "teh gay."
teh?
popular with computer geeks who type so fast that 'the' is often mistyped as 'teh' - and now is actually preferred!
lol, "paid for by God and doctors."
If it's gay weather, shouldn't it be a rainbow?
Thank you so much. I never realized what a serious problem gay marriage is until I saw this!
BTW, isn't one of the actors that guy from Star Wars Hayden Christiansen? I'm not gay, but he's still pretty hot.
Where are the Weathergirls when you need them? ("It's raining men")
Thanks doc! This was great!
STOP IT STORM!!! It's raining Wiggles!!!
That was too funny! Thank you Dr B!
Got some pretty famous celebrities/stars to act in the video. Impressive!
All the giant umbrella makers are busy building our wall with Mexico.
Funny, I especially liked when the little gay people started falling from the sky.
Is that Sophia Bush in the plaid shirt?
How come it never rains gay ladies?
Because so many straight guys fantasize about a lesbian sandwich. We don't want to go there, really!
Wouldn't a lesbian sandwich be filled with lesbians? And, what does that have to do with the scary storms of marriage?
Few people care that much about lesbian love. After all, it's a guy fantasy. It's mostly men who hate the idea of men getting married (or "doing it") I think.
Doctors hate gay marriage! (even gay doctors)
Huh?
I could use an umbrella that can withstand the winds in lower manhattan.
Lions and Tigers and GAYS, OH MY !!
classic
I know Lance Bass and George Takei are gay... Anybody know if Alicia Silverstone's gay? Just asking...
I think she's married.
She has a husband.
We all know married men and women are never gay, unless they're evangelical neocon repubs!
"They'll dance at us, it'll be choreographed and good"
LOL
Colbert's was better, but I really did love the 'I also have a problem with their hot lunch program' part.
Now that was some funny stuff. I love it.
It's raining men! Oops, gay men, not much for a straight girl here. I suppose there will be the usual flash floods?
I liked the Latino imitating the Latino from the original.
They should have bought the domain GiantGayUmbrella.Com, but they didn't. Hmmm
Somebody else actually bought the domain giantgayrepellantumbrella.com, when they saw that Funny or Die didn't do it. Posted the video there, too.
Here is my dream spoof of this absurd ad. You keep all the scary storm brewing part in the beginning, but the when it comes time for the personal testimonies... Cut to Vera Wang who says "I am a New York fashion designer, forced to choose between my good taste and making wedding gowns out of flannel." Cut to Rudy Guiliani who says "I am a former New York mayor who knows that marriage is a sacred union between one man and his second cousin." Cut to Liza Minelli who says "I am a Hollywood legend whose pool of potential husbands will dry up completely if the gays are allowed to marry each other." Then back to that BS at the end of the ad and close.
That ad I would love to see!
Lance Bass is getting really butch.
agreed
This is great! Go George & pals!
Hilarious -- it makes the original look like a bunch of loons -- which they are!
I agree. Although I think it's their POSITIONS AND BELIEFS that make them look like loons. No parody needed! :-)
Our planet is dying because of excess human reproduction. It will not be long before the entire planet is over run with humanoids and every forest is leveled. Only homosexuality can save us from this disaster. So we should not only respect gay marriage, we should accept it, foster it, and even encourage it. Only when half of the people of this planet are invested in gay relationships will this planet be safe.
that was a south park episode.
"It will be choreographed. And it will be good." was the best part.
Humor has always been the best way to disarm this issue. Thankfully some clever satirists finally seized it.
This is hilarious, and it has Miss Yvonne! Love it!
Yay, Miss Yvonne!
As Progressives, we should be concentrating on getting the Employee Free Choice Act passed into Law. Gay Marriage, with or without reactionary ads against it, is not politically viable. Civil unions are.
Most importantly, the Corporations that run everything - and especially the Media - would rather have people concentrate on GM, because this issue is microscopic to them, compared with EFCA. With EFCA passed into Law, Corporations will lose a vast amount of their power.
In other words, if Liberals, Democrats and Progressives want to continue fighting for Gay Marriage, we could lose the infinitely more important battle for EFCA.
I think it is a battle that should be fought on state levels first. Once enough states go for it, the federal will follow.
And of course, in the meantime the gay-marriage friendly states pick up all the dough from those who move there. :()
or we could win them all.
hilarious!
Too funny!! Makes the opposition look exactly as they are....ridiculous.
indeed!
the only thing that gay marriage harms is christians and their ability
to be in everyone's business...
I agree with you 100%
The problem is: The anti-gay/so-called Christians and Catholics cannot manage their own business!!
Therefore, they interject their hypocritical beliefs on American politics hoping that everyone will be as screwed up as they are !!
The fact is: gays/lesbians/transgenders will probably be more committed in their married relationships since they have fought so hard for it - and besides, equal is equal. The Bible IS NOT THE AMERICAN BOOK OF LAW !!!!
people say they want family values, and these (gay) people are trying to start families! why oh gohd why are they (bible idiots) trying to stop em? :)
I'm still not convinced that the original was 'real'. Something 'Onion' about it.
Oh yes.....it was real. These people are serious in their fear of gay marriage.
The $1.5 million spent on it was certainly real.
Onion doesn't do budgets like that.
oh my god -- giant gay repellent umbrella!! thank you for finding this doc!! i haven't laughed this hard in a verrrry long time.
The people who feel threatened by gay marriage are most likely afraid of other kinds of people as well.
If they fear having a gay couple in their neighborhood, then they probably don't want families moving in who are a different skin color, a different religion, from another country, speaking a language other than English, etc.
LOL...this was hilarious! I LOVE Sarah Chalke from Scrubs!!
I was really hoping for an "oh my" from George Takei.
Why do people who oppose gay rights always "I totally support gay rights" -- ? Just the people who also say "I'm a democrat, but Obama has gone too far" and "I don't like torture, but we need it and they had it coming"
So THAT's what Alicia Silverstone has been up to.
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dr. B -- Didn't know this one would make me laugh as much as Colbert's mockery but it did. Should have known you wouldn't post it if it wasn't at least comparable to Colbert's (and what a cast!!!)
Hilarous.
Gotta love those wacky Fundy Christians. Guess they missed the part of the Bible that says, Judge not.
They love to magnify a few obscure verses about homosexuality and practically ignore the anti-capitalist theme running from cover to cover.
I think I just felt a raindrop.
And here's a good parody video too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJGR8YDd_lU
ROTFL
"No actual gay people were harmed in the making of this ad"
Well done. lol
Alicia Silverstone is still really pretty :)
I'm glad we have the cooler people on our side :)
All those people preaching against gay marriage should build an ark before the storm gets here.
Then maybe they can sail away and leave the rest of us to live our lives however and with whomever we choose.
Very funny!
Love Thy Neighbor. Except if they are gay, pro-choice, dark skinned or non-Christian. The Right continues its witch hunting.
What is really delicious about all this is that NOM opened up a huge can of Whoop-ass on itself with their ad. There must be about a dozen of these parodies out now. Some are better than others, but they are all pretty funny. NOM's "Gathering Storm" spot has become a camp classic. Not, I think, what they were aiming for.
I hope people make parodies of every. single. stupid. thing. the fundies put out. Maybe making them a huge joke will shut them up.
Hopefully the NOM-nuts will all gather in Texas (droughts there, you know) and then Texas will secede. Problem solved.
I loved seeing Jason Lewis from ABC's Brothers & Sisters in the parody... he plays a gay man on the show, but I don't know if he is or not gay himself.
Asked if he's gay, Jason says he's NOT and quickly rallies as an ally: "In the world we're living in, gay people are still horribly discriminated against. Why does anybody need to be so affected by someone else's happiness? Some of these people show up 20 years in a row at the county clerk's office [to get married] knowing they're going to be turned down. That's dedication and love...These are decent people."
http://glaadorg.nexcess.net/cinequeer/2008/04/jason-lewis-gay-iconand-straig.html
When the original storm ad (the "real"one) was posted by Doc I thought it was a spoof. I still have a hard time believing it's real. I know it is but honestly--who thinks this stuff up?
I have to say this. I am so pissed off by people who "claim" and proclaim that they have the only truth based on the word of God the bible. I've read the same book. Here's what I read. Jesus Christ never, ever, said one word against gay people--not ever. He had gay friends. When he sent one of his people to fetch the colt on what we call Palm Sunday he said to go and find a MAN carrying a water jar...Men in biblical times didn't carry water jars--the guy was gay (I'm not kidding) and he was close enough to Jesus to help him during a politically very dangerous time.
I'm pissed off because Jesus is my Hero, and the fundies in their undies are claiming only they knew what He was about. Well He was about love and tolerance,forgiveness and acceptance. I hope I can find it in my heart to forgive these dopes who have screwed with that message for their own political and power issues.
Oh and just for the record God made gay people. I for one can not believe God would do that and then expect them to live loveless lives without family , friends, and yes children.
I said to my beloved Dr. B--my husband and my best friend--there is non evolving, evolving and evolved. Our fundie brothers and sisters need to learn a lot more about evolving--right after they figure out the earth is older than 6000 years.
Sorry for the rant Tommy-I am not trying to compete with you--(you can't hold a candle next to the sun) I'm just so frustrated with the inhumanity of the so called "Christian Right" what an oxymoron that is.
Oh and one more thing--the next person who says to me "It's in the Bible-man should not lay with man" get's invited to my house for pork chops--but only if they put their shoes on the correct way..
That's my gal! ROTFLMAO!!! xxxoooxxx
"Fundies in their undies" Hahahahaha
Don't mess with Dr. B. and Buffy, fundies, you'll be gargling pork chops
I think it was Jon Stewart who said that these people are fighting for their Gawd Given right to discriminate against people.
The original NOM ad is preaching to the choir, in an attempt to stir them up. It's not an effort to get converts. So the people in that choir already believe the things being said, they don't need a rational explanation. I think the doctor thing may be referring to the fertility doctors who refuse to treat lesbians. There's already been a CA Supreme court case on that one.
The republicans are pushing gay this and that, abortion this and that down American throats.
I'm with Buffy (and I loved your rant btw!) - The point is Don't Push your Ideologies, keep them where they belong - within your own homes and churches.
Mainstream and mainstreet America have bigger issues to concern themselves with and the bible thumpers or false idealogues are not helping by throwing more into the pot for the sake of electing Repubs.
They are trying to complicate everyday matters with these non issues where most Americans are concerned. It is just another subversive tactic by a party with no ideas and no patriotism.
Posting again, sorry.
Because they;re not big stars, most probably don't know them, but three of my three favorite funny lesbians were in that:
Jane Lynch (but of course)
Liz Feldman
and Erin Foley (but she had no dialogue!)
The gathering storm ad folks (NOM!) are somewhat like the teabaggers in that they obviously HAD NO FUCKING IDEA how they were setting themselves up for easy ridicule.
can this umbrella also protect me from sex, drugs, and rock&roll ??
Post a Comment