WELCOME TO DR. B.'S WORLD

This new white format allows me to post complete pics (the other Blogger formats cut them off, practically in half). Pretend you're reading your newspaper or something.

Dates separate each post, barely, so look for the dates on the left. Print is large & readable. Comment section is unchanged. My Profile info was at the bottom, but I moved it back to the top. Deal with it.

[Disclaimer: Pursuant to the UCC (Uniform Comedy Code), all depictions of events and persons on this site are more real than reality itself, and therefore any resemblance to reality is not really real.]

Unbalanced. Unfair. I report. I decide.

ABANDON HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE. If you have already abandoned hope, please disregard this notice. In this blog, you'll be exposed to the way I see things. Lots of things. Stuff I think of. Things that happen. Random weirdness. Occasional seriousness. My life. My world. My universe. My reality. By reading this, you have given me brief control of your mind....

Dr. B.

Dr. B.

About Me

My photo
You damn kids get off my lawn.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

BO THE PUPPY RUNS WITH PRESIDENT OBAMA


The long wait of an anxious nation is over. The new first dog is here, and his name is Bo.

Bo's arrival, of course, played out perfectly for the times. He was selected in secrecy; the selection was leaked; a newspaper was promised the exclusive; but was beaten by the Internet and, of course, there is controversy. What about the campaign promise to adopt? There are quotes that every dog bought from a breeder is a death sentence for one in a shelter. (A bit of a heavy burden, I think, for little girls who just want a puppy.)

There are even same news-cycle talking points: Bo was previously with another family (and called Charlie then), but there seemed to be a conflict with the dogs already in residence. So he was returned to the breeder who provided the family dogs of Ted Kennedy, which then re-gifted Charley to the Obamas. So, go the talking points, Bo - as a first-family failure - could have conceivably met the fate of other dogs who don't fit in, and been dropped off at a shelter. I buy that. Really.

Anyway -- get used to it, Bo. You are more than a dog now.

Mr. President: I can only hope Bo won't star in holiday videos as Barney, the Bush dog, did. Toward the end, it was animal abuse -- or abuse of all dog lovers who watched in spite of themselves, and suffered the dialogue that even made the dog look embarrassed. Barney deserved better.

But it's a new day. The arrival of Bo is truly -- Change We Can Believe In. Once a puppy arrives at a house -- even the big white one on Pennsylvania Avenue, things will never be the same.

There will be lessons in the laws of puppies: "If I can reach it, it's mine. And what's mine, I'll chew if I want to." There are lessons in the lethality of puppy teeth, which shred wrists and forearms, and can clamp down mid-nuzzle -- on the occasional ear (and yours Mr. President, if you don't mind my saying so, are a puppy's idea of chew toy heaven).

There will be the realization your dog is, quite possibly, the smartest dog ever. When is the last time you heard someone say their dog is dumb? Aside from Dave Barry, I mean.

Prepare, also, to be one of "those people" you swear you will never be -- the insufferable ones; the ones who believe that the rest of the world finds your puppy stories as hilarious/heartwarming as you do. Word of caution, Mr. President. Putin doesn't care. Anyway, he seems like a cat person. That's fine - so are Buffy and I. We love them, but dogs take WORK!

There will be discoveries of the hard to define, but amazingly comfortable smell of puppy fur; the power of the loving gaze of big brown eyes, the joyous greetings that -- in their own way -- will be just as satisfying as your reception in the capitals of Europe.

Congratulations are also in order. You will quickly realize that Bo -- who will soon answer to nicknames like Bo-dog, B-dog, Bobo, Beauregard or Bo-dacious -- is the best dog in the world. Even when he's not.




Getting back to my headline, the White House has released a new photo of Bo Obama, the Obamas' new puppy, running though the halls with President Obama.

Here's the best version I could find of the photo:


Video from NBC's Today show:







.

96 comments:

Lisa said...

pretty darn cute!

123dee said...

Cute!

keepingfaith said...

Awwww :o)

snuffaluffagus said...

Awhhh.

So this dog was for the girls?

Someone tell the dog.

wink wink

jimbei said...

Adorable! I am glad the girls got their wish....from the Kennedy's no less.

3primecubed said...

Yeah, I think it's a nice touch that they got the dog from the Kennedy family.

MObamican said...

that's one lucky dog.

turkeyinthestraw said...

Now watch the Portugese Water Dog become the most popular dog in America this year and people will be breeding them like there is no tomorrow. I wish I could have a dog where I live - I'd get one myself!

ranting tommy said...

This is a real concern that all reputable breeders face...it's like when 101 Dalmatians came out, everyone and their mother started breeding them because they were so "cute". PWD's are a wonderful breed but they are not for everyone and the Obama's were wise to get some training under this puppy's "belt" before he came to live with them. Plus, they researched the breed, listened to other PWD owners and went to a good, reputable breeder for their puppy. Just think, if everyone did that, there wouldn't be nearly the number of dogs in shelters as there are now.

I bet the Animal Rights folks are beside themselves because the Obamas went about this puppy search very intelligently and carefully. I'm all for adopting shelter dogs when you can, but these girls have a specific need for a certain type of dog, and now they have their new family member! I couldn't be happier for them...

Shar said...

Dogs are really great companions and even though the puppy may have been for the girls, it will be hard for the adults not to get really attached, too.

rumplestiltskin said...

Love Bo.

shanghai slim said...

That is adorable. What a lucky dog to become a member of a great family!

yermammy said...

Bo's keeping up with President Obama better than the GOP, he is a quick learner fo sho!

miss mary said...

It's so nice to have some happy stories....White House puppy, freed from pirates captain.....I love it!!

Jacob Von Hogflume said...

I have a feeling Bo isn't Sacha and Malia's dog, Bo is Daddy's dog.

Dr Mum said...

With times so hard, it's nice to be able to cheer Captain Phillips' rescue, Bo finding his forever home, and Sasha and Malia finally getting their wish. A little piece of light and love for all to carry in their hearts today.

glitch said...

That's a great sentiment. Thank you.

ThomasPatrick said...

You can't argue with that picture. But hey, I thought this was the girls' dog Mr. President?

obamarican said...

No, he said in the Barbara Walters interview he wanted the dog to be able to take jogs with him--so he had a little bit to say about what type dog they got (he didn't want a lap dog, that was for certain, from his comments!).

Love the Prez in that photo!

cltclt said...

I love the Hawaiian lei to greet the new puppy.

It is great that they are sending the dog to training camp to make it easier for them, as first time dog owners, to have a pet that isn't destructive or aggressive.

Isn't it like the Obamas to take a studied, well informed approach to the seriousness of dog ownership? If the previous owner of the dog had taken the time to train the dog, they probably wouldn't have given him back.

Enjoy the new dog Obamas. You will love being a dog owning family.

maven said...

I agree, having had puppies from age 8 weeks all my life and knowing about puddles and piles and the time it takes to house break a puppy as well as chewed shoes, it is a very good move, especially if the Obama girls were not raised with puppies.

I understand the family that had him before had another dog that did not like a rival puppy in the house and that is why he was returned. One has to keep peace in the house. Bo looks like a real cutie and very friendly!

Andrew S said...

I just hope they all enjoy lots of fun, happy, wonderful times together....Preferably 8 years in the White House!!

heavyload6 said...

I love the dog. Cute choice. will it grow to be big?

magnus_the_rhino said...

I've seen pictures of them grown up and they are pretty big dogs. Really social and rambunctious too.

goin broke said...

Happy for the family =)

Waiting for GOP & Fox News to ask "Why does Obama hate America? Obamas choose a PORTUGUESE Water Dog!!!! Socialism in WH runs rampant!!!!"

=)

zakfish88 said...

Funny!!..You know it's going to happen!!!!

Ravenback47 said...

I'd say Bo won the Doggy Lottery.

alaskan99577 said...

True. Bo drew a wonderful family. He is a lucky dog.

petra said...

I want one of those!!!


Puppy's cute too...


lol

longtimeamericalover said...

BOBAMA looks like a real sweetheart. He's going to be one well-loved poochie.

Gretchen30 said...

There is something very special about having a dog (a good dog) for a pet. We purchased a dog for our 2 young boys, but as it often happens, "Buddy" quickly became my third child.

The companionship, and affection from an animal is a heartfelt gift. The president has given this dog to his daughters, but I know he will form a bond with Bo. As years go by, I have no doubt, Bo will give him a comforting "break" from the pressures of his normal day.

JerrysKid said...

Flash forward 6 months:

and in other news today, there has been a spike in adoptions of Portuguese Water dogs. Record numbers have been ordered and adopted in the last several months.

canarypapers said...

Lol..that will likely happen too!

Average American said...

OMG, such happy photos! It is hard to listen to all the news for the past few years, and even now it is hard to put up with the negativity each day as we try to get out of this mess. But these photos bring a smile to our faces for a little bit of fun.

pensiveobserver said...

Agree.

I hate stupid people said...

I think so, too, and it shows the human side of Obama. My dogs make my days worth getting up when things are really bad.

redelf said...

hah Bo's a Kennedy and a democrat.

cclawyer said...

LOL

adlib said...

and the breed is used for water rescues, another Kennedy fit

skippydoorknob said...

Girls, start looking for a new puppy. Looks like your Dad is taking over.

semisarcastic said...

I presume Bo had no income tax problems and was confirmed by the Senate.

kiwiscanfly said...

BO WAS NOT BORN IN AMERICA!!!!! O.....M......G!!!!!!!

gluchnurse said...

and he doesn't pal around with terrorists.

obama4life said...

Go Bobama.

Kristen said...

Bo looks like a socialist and probably reads teleprompters! I bet ACORN, Ayers, and Rev Wright were involved too!

--Newt Gingrich

turkishtowel said...

Bet you that Newt has a new mistress.

madbonger618 said...

lol

oldenoughtoknowbetter said...

At last! A friend for the President in D.C.

TheIndependent said...

Tonight on Hannity: Is Bo Obama a muslim?

proshot22 said...

L ... freaking O. L. !

globalcitizen said...

LOL you got that right

fougasseu said...

The attention Bo is getting is not a new thing. Look at this picture (from MSNBC), It is VERY funny and creepy at the same time. The poor cat had no idea; he looked scared to death.

"Chelsea Clinton's cat, Socks, appears nonplussed by the demands of fame as photographers surround him outside the governor's mansion in Little Rock, Arkansas soon after Bill Clinton was elected president in November 1992"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27569597/displaymode/1107/s/2/framenumber/16/

mspye said...

Man, I wish we could just click on that and see. I copied it into my browser, and recommend everyone do the same. It's bizarre!!!

nostradamus said...

After Clinton was elected, he - unlike the Obamas - kept the media at arm's length and refused to buddy up to them - the Clintons were still angry about the saturation coverage of Gennifer Flowers - boy, the worst was yet to come.

The media really crucified them - largely because the Clintons wouldn't play ball with them - a mistake Barack Obama has carefully avoided.

I remember reading the media was camped out in Little Rock trying desperately to get some tidbit of info and the only Clinton they had any contact with, was Socks.

Socks - in fact - was a cat with attitude and not easily scared off.

He would wander out of the Governor's Mansion's gates to check out the press.

And the only quote the media managed to get from Bill Clinton was when he called down to them to tell them to "leave the cat alone".

Pancake said...

Cute dog. I hope the Obamas train Bo Obama to bite Beck, Hannity, O'Reilly, Coulter, Bachmann, LImbaugh, etc. in the ass.

docwang said...

Make sure he has all of his shots first, we don't want Bo to catch something.

eskimolover said...

Hahahaha!

mad cathy said...

Bo is awfully cute, but please don't get him one of those silly poodle haircuts!

At least the dog was re-homed and not fresh from the puppy factory. Rescued dogs are the best, but I know the President and his family had specific needs.

'No kill' shelters socialize, do some training, and really know their dogs. Many facilities have puppies as well as purebred dogs. Humane Societies will have a mixture of dogs and might cost less but may not socialize the dogs. Anyway, Bo will be one beloved pooch!

nana4g said...

If they have trouble house-training him, will they change his name to "Bo Piddley?"

ProudObamacan said...

He'll try to be a good Poopy Dog.

camus343 said...

lol

Or they could change Bo's name to Liberace, because he's the
"peein' -est". (Benny Hill.)

Gwendolyn said...

I love the Obama family and am excited for them to have a loyal companion at their side. Dogs are great friends.

I look forward to getting home every day so I can hang out with my 13 year old chocolate lab.

I see Bo as a symbol of President Obama a little -- black and white mix and adorable. Plus, Obama's initials are BO. Maybe Bo will comfort the little girls when their dad is far away or on business.

keebiejeebie said...

Dogs are the best. I was always tempted to like Bush a bit more (or actually hate him a little less) when I saw him carrying Barney.

canto do galo said...

Bo and B.O. running down that corridor is one of those photos we'll find some day in the "coffee table" history books.

obamamama said...

I really love our President.
We really got lucky America, recognize....

Trifecta said...

I love that photo! I love the Obamas!!!! You know, we'd never see GWB doing something like this!

mork345 said...

GWB had a hard enough time remembering how to walk let alone run.

t2tim215 said...

He would've tripped over that leash or run into the wall.

ill in illinois said...

Cool!! Anybody that doesn't love our President, The First Family, and Bo Doggie is simply un-Amercain.

Gustavsaves said...

Still want our President to fail Limbaugh, you fat fuck.

Anais said...

I really don't like dogs, and kind of hate over-hyped feel-good stories -- but I've fallen for this one. Especially seeing our picture-of-health President able to balance his smarts with a little sprint through the White House with the new pup.

glenn1441 said...

[Head explodes from cuteness]

navarro said...

Finally. Now maybe the media can have its orgasm over the dog and can get back to some investigative reporting on serious issues, like bush and cheney's war crimes and the republican deregulatory policies of greed that led to the financial meltdown.

Oh, wait -- they weren't doing that anyway. Nevermind. :-o

doubledown33 said...

I might be the only one that feels this way, but I really think Prez's gonna have a special bond with Bo despite this being his daughters' puppy. as he's such a guy's guy but he never had a father presence or a brother or a son.

Jacques said...

...or a dog of his own!

guitarhero said...

I want one!

flash said...

Portuguese Water Dogs aren't just cuddly but also kindhearted, clever and loyal. Bo is a great choice for First Dog.

jodi said...

I've watched one grow up in my neighborhood and there is such a sweetness about her, I threaten to have her come live with me.

I'm a dog nut, but she is something special. You know, athletic, but what a love bundle!!

Good choice for a family with young children.

ikeedikeed said...

The PWD breed sure reminds me of my Standard Poodle named Sam who was part of my family for almost 10 years. Sammy was very similar in looks, temperament and stature to the Obama's new puppy. He was smart, sweet, loved to swim, loved to cuddle and he was a very loyal and great watchdog. It's really amazing how you can see the breeding from a PWD in the standard poodle lines. I sure miss my old dog Sam.

oregon_ivy said...

Fitness in motion--running with a puppy sets a great example in more than one way.

MarkFradl said...

What I find really great about our pres is how much work he's done already.

Bo is only one of the many "campaign promises" he's already kept.

reepicheep said...

Here's a list of 24 campaign promises that have been kept and completed (there are more the list doesn't have all of them listed yet)

http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/rulings/promise-kept/

dhokra said...

To all the people that are wondering about the Obama's not getting their dog from a shelter:

From ABC news:

"In the 1970s, Portuguese water dogs were nearly extinct, with only 25 left in the world. But they have since made a comeback. "

--
Considering Malia has allergies and Porties are very rarely found in rescue shelters, I am very happy that Uncle Teddy Kennedy found a good puppy for the Obama girls. Also, 'Bo' was returned by his previous owner so Bo is a 're-homed' dog. Best of luck to Bo and his new family ;)

twisty said...

BO BO BOMABA FA NAHNA FANAH FO FANAH FEE FI FOE FANAH ....BOBAMA!!!!

fetts said...

ROFLMAO, I haven't heard that since I was a kid LOL

Christina said...

The Name Game Song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MJLi5_dyn0

fetts said...

Coming up next on FOX News: is the First Dog a socialist? our panel of blowhards weigh in.

Ack said...

I'm glad Malia and Sasha finally got their puppy, hope they enjoy and take good care of him.

Nick said...

Today (Tuesday) will be the 'official' unveiling of Bo and presentation by Teddy Kennedy.
There should be tons of new photos of 'Bo' coming out!

tis said...

It looks like the girls are going to have to fight Dad for some Bo time of their own.

Opening Cuba.
Fighting pirates.
Getting Iran to the negotiating table.
Dominating the G20 and reassuring the world.
Planting an organic garden.
Having a hot wife who can both charm a Queen and inspire a whole new generation.
Following through on campaign promises.
Changing the political dialogue. Getting the cutest puppy ever. Fitting in date night.
Holding the first White House seder.
Ordering in pizza...from another STATE.
And so much more!!

AND it's STILL not the end of his first 100 days. (Ya know...maybe he IS Superman). Wow.

lightbrigade said...

The most impressive President of my lifetime, so far.

nebraskamike said...

me three

EISENHAUER said...

Very reminiscent of the JFK photo running with dog, except for the beach.......

Mcginty77 said...

yup, my first thought was..."how sad they're not outside"...

facingreality said...

"You can keep a dog; but it is the cat who keeps people, because cats find humans useful domestic animals."

-- Mark Twain, 1894

TomFox said...

"Dogs have masters, cats have servants."

So says my refrigerator magnet.

Blog Archive