
Another Earth Day (Wednesday April 22nd) has come and gone, and with it, a record number of Americans who chose to celebrate the holiday by remembering it for a few seconds at some point during the day. I was one of those people. Scratch that. I was in fact one of those people who didn't even realize it was Earth Day until it had come and gone, which is why I wound up blogging 'the GAYthering Storm' on the 22nd and then blogged 'THE PARTY OF YAWEH APPOINTS RUSH THE NEW MOSES' yesterday on the 23rd. So here I am quite belatedly blogging about Earth Day on Friday April 25th, now that Earth Day, as they say, is but a memory, although I personally have no memory of it at all.
And now, for the purposes of satire, let's imagine that Jordan Brown, a random person who organized Earth Day, is touting the success of this year's Earth Day holiday, especially after only 13 total Americans celebrated the "confusing debacle" that was Earth Hour 2009.
"With Earth Hour, we tried to get people to turn out the lights for one hour," he said, reminding The World According To Me that I totally meant to do that too, but at 8:30 PM on Saturday March 28, Buffy and I were halfway through watching a show we'd DVR'd and we lost track of time. Besides 8:30 to 9:30 PM is a weird time slot/hour. Why not hold Earth Hour from 8:00 to 9:00 Saturday AM instead ? My lights are most definitely out at that hour.
"The beauty of Earth Day, on the other hand," Jordan Brown continued, "is that nobody really has to do anything. Mother Earth just needs you to have Her in your thoughts."
"I didn't know it was Earth Day until I read it in the paper on the train," said Earth Day enthusiast Richard Stamps. "I thought, 'Huh.' "
Stamps says that he then threw the paper on the ground outside the train station, where a homeless man later urinated on it. 
By the day's end, an estimated 98% of Americans knew it was Earth Day, with nearly 1% of those choosing to change their pollution habits, if only for one day.
"I actually just left my car running all day," said San Diego resident Sandra Waster. "That way, I could purchase more fossil fuels, which Mother Earth has in relative abundance. It was just my way of honoring what our planet has to offer Americans."
A recent poll conducted by Lord Pollington demonstrated that Earth Day is largely only celebrated in the United States, despite applying to the entire planet. Sub-Saharan Africa was notably deficient in Earth Day festivities, with most of the population choosing instead to make war, become pirates or contract AIDS. Some engaged in all three activities simultaneously, instead of celebrating Earth Day.
Organizer Jordan Brown says plans are in the works to try and bring Earth Day to the rest of the planet, including flying a helicopter over small African villages and shouting "EARTH DAY" through a large megaphone.
Despite the general enjoyment the holiday afforded to all of America, however, some lawmakers expressed concerns that celebrating a holiday that is "not specific to America" may pave the way for communism and world government.
"Call me crazy," said Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY), "but if we start lumping in traditional American holidays like Christmas and Easter with something like Earth Day, it's a slippery slope
to Cinco de Mayo -- an illegal immigrant holiday -- and then suddenly we're all celebrating Lenin's birthday. It's just too dangerous."
Other nations aside, the U.S. continues to vaguely acknowledge Earth Day every year, and with oil consumption up, carbon dioxide emissions increased, and general pestilence ravaging most of the world, Jordan Brown doesn't see this changing any time soon.
"Even if people are running their washers with extra hot water or throwing away non-biodegradable trash while they're thinking about Earth Day, at least they're thinking," he said. "And that's at least 60% of the battle."
.

112 comments:
"The environment? We got rid of that in Texas a long time ago, and we're doing just fine." - George W Bush
Save the whales.... we'll need dessert after we've eaten all the dolphins!
I know aerosol is bad, but without it I wouldn't be able to spell my name with cheese!!!
Remember kids, global environmental disaster is always just around the corner!
EARTH FIRST!
We will log the other planets later.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors.
We borrow it from our children.
There was an Earth Hour? I missed Earth Day again?? Damn. Now we're all doomed...........
Wait there's still time... Nuke the Indians, and take their casinos.
And Happy BELATED Earth Day to everyone! Earth will have no more Days until next year. Guess we'll have to just live with that....
I was scared. PETA was out in full force Wednesday at my college. I still fear to leave my dorm. Save me.
What did the Earth ever do for me?
Earth d.....Wednesda.....was this a weekda....wait...what..what day is this?
Whales are endangered? Enough about whales! What about me?!!!
Oh sure, get all serious in the comments when doc satirizes wingnuts, but when it comes to our planet, then everybody's a comedian... and funnier than ME! I'm lodging a formal protest!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA
(laughing with you, not at you. All better now?)
Earth Day is put on by outerspace aliens. First of all, they want our "head of government" to attend. Second, they are trying to get us out of our cars that day. It will make it easier for them to take over the world!
Solution: wear a tinfoil hat when you get out of your car. Problem solved.
Do the animals know its earth day? I just saw a dog take a huge dump on my lawn. Fine way to say "Thanks Earth!"
I thought every day was Earth Day...
holy shit, i totally forgot that earth day was Wednesday
Too late to go chop down a tree?
Instead of Earth Day, let's have SMURF DAY!
Earth, love it or leave it.
Anyone who pretended to care Wednesday can ignore it for the rest of the year.
My mom and I had a great idea for helping the earth. Every time you see someone throw trash out of their car window, shoot them. Then, retrieve the bodies, feed the flesh to various wild animals, then grind up the bones into bone meal for people to fertilize their gardens with. This would help the earth in so many ways - it would feed and nourish the plants and animals and, as a bonus, it will help get rid of all the selfish assholes who can't wait until they get to a trash can to toss their cigarette wrapper and McDonald's bag.
Seriously, I remember the first Earth Day in 1970. I was just a little girl, but I remember thinking "What can I do to help the earth? I'm just a kid." Then it came to me -- stop throwing trash out of the car window. And I haven't done it since. Every little bit helps.
This planet is in sorry shape and it's due for the most part to humans. Did y'all ever stop to think how much better off this place would be if we *weren't* here? We need to take care of what we have, because otherwise we won't have it.
So. What are you guys doing to make the earth a better place?
Eating the cows that destroy the environment. Damn cows.
Emitting the methane myself...
Digging bigger holes.
Wow nothing? For real? Anybody?
I'm not using plastic bags any more at the grocery store. I bought a cloth sack thing instead.
Drinking.
Not having kids.
I turned a lamp off once
but I'm scared of the dark
so I turned it back on.
I'm composting the bodies of the hookers that I kill.
Gracing it with my presence.
I'm going to drive my SUV to the dump to throw away some old car batteries and oil. Then I'm going to turn all the lights on in my house and smoke and drink until I pass out. I do my part.
Holding in my farts so I don't contribute to Global Warming®.
starting to hurt
I exist, that's a treat enough for the planet. Especially the ladies.
I'm gonna whack off later on.
I figure, that's one load that won't become a child, and therefore, will save energy.
Hell, every day is Earth day for me.
Pledge to switch your bulb? Is there a viable alternative not containing mercury available?
burning tires off their rims for scrap iron. I'm recycling damnit!
I litter in parking lots to help the economy. If there weren't jerks like me, the guy who cleans the parking lot wouldn't have a job.
I wash my bath towels after using them one time (oh wait, that's how I am destroying the Earth. sorry)
I just sprayed my lawn with 2,4-D, then used Round-up on my garden. Later we will burn some wood and cook a piece of one of those farting steers, weather permitting.
Seriously , I have a solar powered water heating system and next month, I'm having a wind turbine put in to generate power. I should be able to drop off the grid completely..
*Working with the education department of my local zoo to teach conservation issues to children.
*Cleaning with environmentally safe products.
*Looking into buying a product that gets better gas mileage.
*Shopping at a local co-op.
*Recycling.
My roommate sleeps with his AC on and his balcony door open. I kicked him in the balls.
If nobody's looking, I run over a pedestrian or two just to thin the herd.
I said hi to a tree on Wednesday, but it ignored me.
Well, I'm moving to a new house in a few days, so today I'm putting out a huge pile of trash to go to the dump.
Take that, Mother Earth!
Where did all this crap come from?
Finding used condoms along the side of the road, turning them inside out and reusing them.
So if my girl gets pregnant, I'll know it's not mine!
hooray for recycling
Everybody's being funny, right? I mean no one here really does this stuff, just repubs, right?
Almost everyone's posting LOL stuff
About time too - more in keeping with doc's satirical blog.
Working at an environmental education center.
whoa....a serious answer, sorry
I did not fart on Earth Day
.....okay, but since. Whew!
i'm becoming a pirate to fight global warming.
On Earth day I rode a bus to buy an organic burrito, and then beat a homeless man to death!
I let my SUV idle all day long.
"Well, I'm moving to a new house in a few days, so today I'm putting out a huge pile of trash to go to the dump."
No, no. You're supposed to leave it all at one of those donation dumpsters, so some volunteer charity worker can spend 70 hours sorting through it to find the two things worth keeping. Then you can walk around acting all smug and righteous even though, deep down, you know you really did more harm than good. That's what I do. Try it; it's fun.
Other ways I'm helping:
- Eating my own boogers and snot so I won't waste food.
- Taking a dump on the front lawn and planting a tree in it.
- masturbate in the shower so it goes down the drain.
- Two words: "vomit casserole."
- Holding in my farts so I don't pollute the air with methane.
Yeah, I'll probably be dead by the end of the day, but it's a good thing I'm biodegradable.
I only use about 120 kwh a month, and it's all green power.
unfortunately, that's kinda offset by the fact that one of the things I do when I'm bored is speed around the interstate in my SUV
I am also going to conserve vowel usage:
I m ls gng t cnsrv vwl sg.
hmmmm nevermind.
What am I doing to make the Earth a better place?
Nothing, really. But I feel guilty about it, so that makes me less of a douchebag.
I read doc's blog at work so I don't run up a big electric bill at home.
I met a really good-looking, articulate man on Earth Day at about 5pm.
By 7pm I had turned down his offer to get to know him better.
Him: 6'5", Me: 5'2". Him: 32, Me:P 47. Him: leaving for school in AZ in a month, Me: staying here.
I have been killing kittens left and right ever since I did that.
Should help the environment somewhat.
I switched to the compact florescent lights about a year ago and my power bill went from 75-100 bucks a month down to 30-50.
On Earth Day instead of recycling all of my unused plastic grocery bags, I burned them in my backyard!
1) Composting the rich. They consume more than their fair share of resources. Problem is that there aren't many rich people in my neighborhood, so I'll have to add more egg shells.
2) Composting all of the stupid right-wingers who think that a snowstorm is proof that global climate change isn't happening. You are talking about *one* weather incident, not *climate* change which *is* happening over time, around the world.
3) Keep organizing the anti-capitalist revolution.
I am drinking "extra refrigerated" Margaritas made from " Polar Ice Cap Glacier Ice". Cooking baby seal on my charcoal BBQ, started with a little gas, that I will eventually eat on many styrofoam plates, all while filling my heated, heavily chlorinated swimming pool. Using nitrate rich non-biodegradable soap to wash my 1966 Cadillac El Dorado with whale skin hubcaps and all leather cow interior(stolen from Denis Leary) as I slowly burn old tires and used engine oil in my 50 gallon drum that used to hold DDT until I dumped it in the lake. Then I will relax in my highly air conditioned house, open the windows, and smoke cigarettes while I make sure all of my incandescent light bulbs are glowing brightly.
We have a winner! LOL!
I had myself sterilized.
You're welcome.
I pooped in my back yard.
I pooped in your back yard.
Well, yesterday while I was at Wal-Mart anyway, I started buying those curly-cue light bulbs. I'll buy a few here and there until the house is converted. Buying them all at once would bankrupt me. I'm going to have to play around with the different kinds and illuminations until I get the light right. I guess watts are out and lumens are in.
I hang out in a lot where they sell Hummers and kick the owners asses when they come out to leave.
It's not the size of your planet that matters, it's how you use it!
Ohhhh, Earth day, I thought someone said Thirst day.
Puts beer back in fridge...then realizes it takes energy to keep the damned thing cold, so pulls it back out and consumes.
Nothing on Earth Day since nobody (that means you doc) thought to remind me. I did wash my laundry in cold water on Wed., but I usually do that anyway. I do intend to get some of those handy-dandy light bulbs eventually though.
I do have a question though - does anyone here drive a hybrid? What do you think of it (besides gas mileage)? I'm going to buy one when my current car bites the dust in a few years so I thought I'd ask the all-knowing Commenters.
Jodi - You should know that electricity is less green than gasoline.
Most electricity in this country comes from coal-burning power plants.
You are just changing the way you burn fossil fuels.
In addition, electricity distribution and storage is less efficient than gasoline.
I'm copying and pasting this long George Carlin rant as my contribution:
"I'm tired of fucking Earth Day, I'm tired of these self-righteous environmentalists, these white, bourgeois liberals who think the only thing wrong with this country is there aren't enough bicycle paths. People trying to make the world save for their Volvos. Besides, environmentalists don't give a shit about the planet. They don't care about the planet. Not in the abstract they don't. You know what they're interested in? A clean place to live. Their own habitat. They're worried that some day in the future, they might be personally inconvenienced. Narrow, unenlightened self-interest doesn't impress me.
Besides, there is nothing wrong with the planet. Nothing wrong with the planet. The planet is fine. The PEOPLE are fucked. Difference. Difference. The planet is fine. Compared to the people, the planet is doing great. Been here four and a half billion years. Did you ever think about the arithmetic? The planet has been here four and a half billion years. We've been here, what, a hundred thousand? Maybe two hundred thousand? And we've only been engaged in heavy industry for a little over two hundred years. Two hundred years versus four and a half billion. And we have the CONCEIT to think that somehow we're a threat? That somehow we're gonna put in jeopardy this beautiful little blue-green ball that's just a-floatin' around the sun?
The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through all kinds of things worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles...hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worldwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages...And we think some plastic bags, and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet...the planet...the planet isn't going anywhere. WE ARE!
We're going away. Pack your shit, folks. We're going away. And we won't leave much of a trace, either. Thank God for that. Maybe a little styrofoam. Maybe. A little styrofoam. The planet'll be here and we'll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet'll shake us off like a bad case of fleas. A surface nuisance.
You wanna know how the planet's doing? Ask those people at Pompeii, who are frozen into position from volcanic ash, how the planet's doing. You wanna know if the planet's all right, ask those people in Mexico City or Armenia or a hundred other places buried under thousands of tons of earthquake rubble, if they feel like a threat to the planet this week. Or how about those people in Kilowaia, Hawaii, who built their homes right next to an active volcano, and then wonder why they have lava in the living room.
The planet will be here for a long, long, LONG time after we're gone, and it will heal itself, it will cleanse itself, 'cause that's what it does. It's a self-correcting system. The air and the water will recover, the earth will be renewed, and if it's true that plastic is not degradable, well, the planet will simply incorporate plastic into a new paradigm: the earth plus plastic. The earth doesn't share our prejudice towards plastic. Plastic came out of the earth. The earth probably sees plastic as just another one of its children. Could be the only reason the earth allowed us to be spawned from it in the first place. It wanted plastic for itself. Didn't know how to make it. Needed us. Could be the answer to our age-old egocentric philosophical question, "Why are we here?" Plastic...asshole."
I plugged in some CF bulbs and..ermm....that's it so far.
What am I doing to make the Earth a better place?
Burning styrofoam in an open coal fire.
In a little while I'm going to change the oil in my car and dump the old oil in the yard, just like my old man used to do.
just kidding
Not a frigging thing. Doing absolutely nothing to save the planet. Nothing.
I think people should be far more worried about saving Mankind from extinction than the planet.
At this rate, people won't even begin to think about the possibility of human extinction until it's upon us.
Oh and the many fundamental christians think it will be the rapture and think themselves immune... til they find out otherwise. Ooops.
If God exists (and I believe this is true), and God made free will, do you really think God would interfere with our free will and stop us from destroying ourselves?
I'm not so optimistic.
There are SIX BILLION people on this planet and growing. We're in no danger of extinction, unless you mean from the environment going *splat* on us.
As a conservative, I'm going to do all I can to hurt the environment. Because Rush and Hannity told me to.
I honored Earth Day by not mowing my lawn.
I poured the bacon grease into a jar, not down the drain.
I didn't fly my private jet to a congressional hearing on Wednesday.
we can't kill the Earth. Even if every single nuclear bomb on the planet were detonated at once, scorpions and cockroaches might survive. In a billion years, it would be teeming with life again.
We, however, would be gone. A planetary collision could destroy Earth, but we couldn't.
However, the Amazon is drying up, and the algae and kelp that produce the bulk of our oxygen are dying off.
Well before air pollution causes any serious harm worldwide, water pollution will cause the extinction of our main sources of oxygen, and we will have an oxygen shortage.
Air pollution gets into the water via rain, however, the bulk of the pollution we should be worried about is chemical pollution in the water. That's what's killing the algae.
And by the time the few trees we have left produce enough oxygen, most oxygen breathing animals will die.
Besides, the ecological movement has been ongoing for how many years, and we haven't seen any real improvement.
That's because everyone who is interested in 'cleaning up' are only interested in cleaning up their back yards, making 'their' air breathable, 'their' water drinkable. No one is caring for our oxygen supply created in the ocean.
One outbreak of red algae in the ocean, and our oxygen supply could end rather quickly.
Everyone is so concerned about the small problems, no one is looking after the big ones.
Mankind is fucked.
I'm setting grass and forest fires.
I held in a fart for a couple of minutes. Conservation hurts.
I hope the gas bill isn't too high
I will burn my neighbor's recycling bin.
I only use rechargeable batteries in my vibrator.
I like the way you think......
i took over 2000 old styrofoam containers and put them in several large plastic bags. i then took them to Daytona and dropped them in the ocean to float away. that way, they wouldn't be polluting local landfills. my hopes are that they make it to Somalia.
I'm watching the recycled Steelers vs Falcons game on the NFL Network.
Nooooo! the Steelers called timeout on the Falcons' winning field goal again!
Recycling is futile...
nothing changes.
The responsibility to take care of the environment lies within all of us.
But mostly with Al Gore.
Right? Right?
I'm going to sell carbon credits to dumb hippies so they can feel better about themselves, and I can get rich.
I flew my jet plane 3,000 miles to give a lecture entitled 'Global Warming is bad, and you're causing it'
I have ended Global Warming by not driving my SUV for a week.
I drove my 210 H.P. Volvo wagon instead.
That is the reason we have all had Global Cooling for the past six weeks.
No need for you all to thank me
To make the earth a better place you'd have to remove all the humans.
We parasites will all be removed by the Earth's immune system
I was going to introduce a chemical agent into the water supply so people can't reproduce, but then i realized that Arby's is waaaaay ahead of me on that one.
I wiped my ass with far less toilet paper than usual after taking my morning dump. It feels good to be making a difference.
Earth Day:
a man-made invention (from the makers of Valentine’s Day & All Saints’ Day), wherein its creator sets aside a 24-hour period each day to reflect upon the other 364 days of the year when man clogs Mother Earth's pores with plastics, recyclable garbage, archaic non-plasma television sets, nuclear waste, appliances, concrete slabs, dead sex toys, and aluminum canisters filled with petty rationalizations and excuses as to why Americans feel the need to bend Mama Earth over and stick it to her every non-Earth Day of the year.
Like insincere New Year’s Resolutions, Americans use Earth Day as an excuse to take time away from producing more waste to make vows not to produce more waste.
The big question is how many, when they wake up the day after Earth Day with an environmental hangover, will actually remember the promises they made in the global warming of the moment while trying to get into Mama Earth’s pants.
That said, I’ve decided to strike preemptively by going public with my vows to help protect Mother Earth’s borders:
1. Whenever somebody tells me Global Warming is a hoax (which usually happens on an uncharacteristically cold day in Syracuse), I will open up a can of Lysol on ‘em and spray the CFCs in their eyes and say: “How does that feel, naysayer? You think Mother Earth likes it? Do you? Huh?” (Note: this is merely a hoax, so if anyone should go blind or bleed from the eyes, chalk it up as mere happenstance.)
2. Participate in the “Litterbug Catch and Release Program.” Any time I see somebody litter or flick their cigarette butt on the ground, I will apprehend them and call the authorities, who will arrest them and either release them on the other side of the ozone layer or sentence them to hard time in a nearby land fill (formerly known as “The Dump”).
3. Stop using modifiers in the future.
4. Team up with Mother Earth’s Creators, Klaatu and Gort (aka Jesus and God) and film a sequel to the original “The Day the Earth Stood Still” (not to be confused with the recently recycled version starring Keanu Reeves, whose acting career has been overly recycled beyond the Best-When-Used-By Date: “Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure”). In the new film, “The Day the Earth Stood FULL,” we will declare Inertia on Earth, holding earthlings hostage until they meet our demands: Appoint WALL-E Czar of Earth, stop using doublespeak to mask threats against Earth (e.g. “clean coal”), and boot Keanu Reeves out of the Actors’ Guild – no questions asked.
- Dr. B. -
OMG - doc is the clear comment winner, we should know better than to try to be funnier than him on his own blog. LOL!!!
Agreed.
Know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna get myself a 1967 Cadillac El Dorado
Convertible, hot pink, with whaleskin hubcaps and all-leather cow
interior and big brown baby seal eyes for headlights... yeah! And I'm
gonna drive around in that baby at 115 miles per hour, getting 1 mile
per gallon, suckin' down quarter pound cheeseburgers from McDonald's
in the old-fashioned non-biodegradable styrofoam containers and when
I'm done suckin' down those greaseball burgers I'm gonna wipe my mouth
on the American Flag and then I'm gonna toss the styrofoam containers
right out the side, and there ain't a goddamn thing anybody can
do about it. You know why? Because we got the bombs, that's why Two
words: Nuclear fuckin' weapons, OK? Russia, Germany, Romania, they
can have all the democracy they want...they can have a big democracy
cakewalk right through the middle of Tienamen Square and it won't make
a lick of difference, because we got the bombs, OK? John Wayne's not
dead, he's frozen! And as soon as we find a cure for cancer, we're
gonna thaw out the Duke and he's gonna be pretty pissed off. You know
why? Have you ever taken a cold shower? Well, multiply that by 15
million times, that's how pissed off the Duke's gonna be.
I'm gonna get the Duke and John Cassavetes and Lee Marvin and Sam Peckinpaw and a case of whiskey and drive to Texas.
1) Clubbed a baby seal that looked like it might be about to fart.
2) Prepared my spotted owl sashimi-style so as not to add to the CO2 levels with charcoal.
3) Chopped down all the trees in my neighbors yard so that I could deepen my appreciation for the earth by having a better view of it.
4) Neutered my dog. (He scratched the crap out of me, but now he knows who's boss.)
I let the raccoon who lives on my back deck sleep in for once.
With all the comments you get, I didn't think you'd even notice one of mine in here lol. That picture is AWESOME.
I notice. Daddy loves you.
xxxoooxxx
Post a Comment