WELCOME TO DR. B.'S WORLD

This new white format allows me to post complete pics (the other Blogger formats cut them off, practically in half). Pretend you're reading your newspaper or something.

Dates separate each post, barely, so look for the dates on the left. Print is large & readable. Comment section is unchanged. My Profile info was at the bottom, but I moved it back to the top. Deal with it.

[Disclaimer: Pursuant to the UCC (Uniform Comedy Code), all depictions of events and persons on this site are more real than reality itself, and therefore any resemblance to reality is not really real.]

Unbalanced. Unfair. I report. I decide.

ABANDON HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE. If you have already abandoned hope, please disregard this notice. In this blog, you'll be exposed to the way I see things. Lots of things. Stuff I think of. Things that happen. Random weirdness. Occasional seriousness. My life. My world. My universe. My reality. By reading this, you have given me brief control of your mind....

Dr. B.

Dr. B.

About Me

My photo
You damn kids get off my lawn.

Monday, November 24, 2008

CROWD OF ONE MILLION COULD ATTEND OBAMA INAUGURATION


In order to make sure Barack Obama will not be a president like George W. Bush, there are ten urgent questions that he must be asked before he takes the oath of office on January 20, 2009:

1. Mr. Obama, if the biggest terrorist attack ever on American soil were to take place while you're president, would you:
A) Finish the children's book you're currently reading.
B) Do something.

2. Mr. Obama, if a major American city were to go under water, would you:
A) Fly over the city and wave to the drowning people below.
B) Do something.

3. If the planet were heating up and we were all going to look like the Ghost Rider in twenty years, would you:
A) Sign a treaty with almost all the other nations to decrease the emissions causing the warming.
B) Flick off the rest of the world and giggle like a school girl.

4. If using a certain type of cell, scientists could make amazing breakthroughs in treatments and cures for horrible diseases and ailments, would you:
A) Allow it.
B) Save the lives of those poor cells! And keep them in a jar on your mantle after naming each one.

5. Mr. Obama, if somebody called you on a lie you told, would you:
A) Think that perhaps it was wrong of you to lie to the American people.
B) Commit treason by revealing their wife as a CIA agent.

6. Mr. Obama, if you wanted a substance to make our cars go, what is the maximum number of U.S. soldiers and innocent civilians you'd be willing to kill to get it?
A) 1,000,000
B) 500,000
C) 100,000

7. If Congress passed a bill to make sure every American child had healthcare, would you:
A) Let it pass.
B) Use your mighty pen to show those sickly brats who's the fucking boss. What's the big deal? A little cystic fibrosis?? Walk it off!

8. If an Asian tsunami killed more than 350,000 people, making it one of the deadliest natural disasters ever known, how much money would you have the United States donate to help the survivors rebuild:
A) $25 million--less than is spent every two hours in Iraq.
B) A larger amount of money than that.

9. Mr. Obama, if you ever went hunting, would you:
A) Shoot your friend in the face.
B) Not shoot your friend in the face.

10. If your greatest accomplishment after eight years as president was the creation of a "no call list" for telemarketers, would you:
A) Join the witness protection program.
B) Create a grand library to commemorate that feat.

Getting back to the headline, even though one million people may actually be attending the inauguration in person, I'm thinking a few billion world-wide will be watching on television. Over to you, dear commentators.

76 comments:

Anonymous said...

"9. Mr. Obama, if you ever went hunting, would you:
A) Shoot your friend in the face.
B) Not shoot your friend in the face."

let's add:

C) Still shoot your friend, but just not in the face.

Anonymous said...

LOL

Good one.

If I could be there, I would go in a second. I hope to hook up with a local party. One way or another I will celebrate this moment and event to the fullest.

Anonymous said...

I will be one of the million! Along with my hubby and two friends!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Something tells me that most of the country if not the world will stop whatever it's doing in order to watch the inauguration on television.

Anonymous said...

While President elect Obama deserves all his time in the spotlight on jan 20th, considering the historical nature of his election, it would be timely for him to announce some austerity measures for the ceremony. The nation could perhaps do with a dressed down version of the inaugration keeping in mind the severe times we are going through, It would also send a message that from Jan 20th, we all have to haul this nation collectively out of this economic hellhole and if the new President elect were to lead by example, the nation will take heart that at least someone in Washington means what he preaches especially keeping in mind the shocking details of bank bonuses in the bailout package.
We as a nation could definitely do without some ritzy ballroom dances and banquets. I am not saying that the money saved on that day will immediately put food on some family's table in Ohio or Michigan but the message would be loud and clear that from the top down we mean business. Lets tighten our belts though why should always the taxpayer tighten his belt frustrates me no end.

Anonymous said...

C'mon people. I've said it before:

How about using paragraphs once in a while...

Anonymous said...

No way, NebraskaMike.......this is a historical event and there is no way Mr. Obama should get or take less acknowledgment or celebration then his predecessors........

Anonymous said...

I agree with you both.

There's no need for it to be an over-the-top extravagance, but boy, does this country ever need a party!

And it's a good way to get the energy up for the big fights ahead.

And I made every sentence a paragraph, Trippdogg. LOL

Anonymous said...

Much appreciated.

It's not only easier on the eyes, it's easier on the brain.

Anonymous said...

i read that there will even be Free Speech Zones: Joe the Plumber and Rush smokin' sausages on their tailgate BBQ

Anonymous said...

I don't think I am going to be able to afford to go, but I hope the weather is nice for the people who do.

I just moved from DC back to Florida earlier this year and it can get COLD in January.

Hope it doesn't snow.

Remember to layer up!

Anonymous said...

There is nothing more important on January 20th than to be fortunate enough to witness our new president being sworn in.

And it is not just Barack but also Michelle, their two beautiful girls and an entire race. We owe you Barry.

Anonymous said...

Need to find Palin's email address and send her this headline.

Anonymous said...

I live in California and can't afford the trip but have already requested the day off to watch all the events.

Usually I tune in one of the cable networks (MSNBC #1 or CNN #2) but will also watch CSPAN which covers without commentary - for example prior to Senator Obama's acceptance on the 4th cable news talked beforehand -- CSPAN showed the crowds, the Pledge of Allegiance, National Anthem, Opening Prayer without comment.

I am sure they will cover the entire event and I will be one of the millions watching from home.

This is the first time in my long life that I've wanted to watch every single thing and am so hopeful after 8 years of darkness and lies.

Anonymous said...

I'll be home here in Texas, - with about the same itinerary as you - CSPAN will be the station of choice at my house too.

We should have the best seats and views of all - although it would be great to have a close-up spot in person and be a part of the whole shebang. How sweet a day that will be.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a plan. I'll join you from here in Ohio and supply my own food and drink.

Obama/Biden/ OH HAPPY DAY

Anonymous said...

Host an inaugural brunch and invite other Obama supporters.

It's going to be a day of celebration for much of the country.

I am going to let my kids come home early from school to watch this historical event.

I can't believe the number of people already talking about what they plan to do on January 20.

Anonymous said...

my family and I will be three of the million there.

We're also renting our house, if anyone's interested! We're taking advantage of the Obama Inauguration stimulus package.

Anonymous said...

i'm thinking they better make the inauguration area a lot bigger

Anonymous said...

EISENHAUER a few comments back mentioned that here will be designated "free speech" areas. These are for protesters along the parade route.

Ever since they were created, to keep protesters (and reality) away from Bush and the media, I have been vehemently opposed to "free speech zones" as inherently un-American, and I still am.

But just this once, I will have to take a little bit of satisfaction in seeing people who share my sentiments giving full-throated expression to our feelings from OUTSIDE the so-called "free-speech zones," while those who have cheered on the bullies, cheered on the war and the hate and the suppression of dissent, finally get a taste of their own medicine.

After Mr. Obama is sworn in, I hope the whole concept of building a cage and calling it a "free-speech zone" will be a thing of the past.

Anonymous said...

Don't kid yourself; this kind of thing (caging off "free speech zones, etc...) will only become more institutionalized and much more prevelant under Obama's administration. There are rabid Palinites out there.

As it is now, he only will address a crowd behind three inches of bullet-proof and shatter-proof glass.
And I wouldn't want it any other way, for his safety

Anonymous said...

I don't know, you've got two politically opposing ideology groups next to each other like that and one of them calls Obama a terrorist one more time and I'd be tempted to punch them in the nose. Riots will probably ensue, but I don't think I'll be able to help myself honestly if I was in that position. Probably could at least not make it look like a cage though...

Anonymous said...

Paragraphs, plea .... oh fuck it...

Anonymous said...

I wonder what kind of crap Faux News and Rush will be spewing on Inauguration Day?

Anonymous said...

I'm with the doc. I bet there will be over 1 BILLION people around the world watching the Inauguration on television -- this is American History! About damn time!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm going with a couple of flight attendant friends (unfortunately, it's not as seedy as it sounds, they just have free airfare) and we're already looking for a place to stay. Wouldn't it be nice if some church, union hall, etc would open their doors to a few sleeping baggers?

Anonymous said...

THE CLASS OF THE NEW GENERATION IS ALREADY CAMPED OUTSIDE :)

Anonymous said...

What a change in America's sense of belonging and overall excitement about the incoming Obama administration, more than ONE MILLION PEOPLE will be in Washington for this historic event.

The GOP tries to play this down, but they can NEVER compare the incredible feeling of dread, uncertainty, fear and ANGER that was expressed during bush's 2000 inauguration ceremony and the egg filled procession to the White House. Egg filled because so many protesters threw eggs at bush's limo in protest of his illegitimate installation as the 43rd president.

It is refreshing to actually feel good about the prospect of the Obama administration, the prospect of competency, of ethical adherence to the laws that make up our country as well as the REAL strength (not swagger), Mr Obama exudes.

YES WE CAN MAKE THE USA A BETTER PLACE FOR ALL AMERICANS!!

Anonymous said...

I liked Dr. B's 10 questions. Obama will be better than Bush, even going through all the s h i t that is going to be left for him to clean up so that this country can return to its glorious state. What a mess that's being left.

Anonymous said...

Like Serena and Venus Williams, Obama is nothing like we've seen before. He will change the game for the better, make the world take notice, and encourage subsequent leaders who come after him to maintain his momentum. The U.S. is back, YES!

Anonymous said...

It will be more than 1 million. Many more.

Anonymous said...

I agree. Look, 3+ million turned out on October 30, 2004 to see the Red Sox victory parade in Boston. Now, as special as that moment was (yes, I'm a 4th generation Red Sox fan), it's like a kid's 3rd birthday party compared to this. There will be more than a million spectators to see President Obama and Vice President Biden swear to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution.

DC will be wall-to-wall people. I wish I could be there! But I have requested the day off, and will be watching C-SPAN in my living room, with good food at hand and easy access to a clean bathroom.

I didn't watch either of Bush's inaugurations. In '01 I watched "Lilies of the Field" on TCM. In '05, I had to work. No one I know watched those buffoons cross their fingers and utter false oaths.

Anonymous said...

I love that comment about "free speech zones." I always thought the entire country was supposed to be a free speech zone! Still, I would love to go to that inauguration. What a historic event.

Anonymous said...

I hope Sen O's camp will not raise the price of the tickets, I'd be very disappointed in him. So many have contributed to his campaign....it just wouldn't be right!

Anonymous said...

The tickets are free. It will be hard to get them, but they are free.

Anonymous said...

Tickets are free but very scarce!!

Anonymous said...

Despite logging many volunteer hours with the democratic campaign over the past year, I will have to request tickets from my Republican Senators and Representative. I heard from another volunteer that Senator Lindsay Graham made it clear he didn't have any tickets to give. I would imagine they will go to his supporters and not to the Dems who worked hard to make this happen. I haven't given up on the Obama campaign making tickets available to their volunteers and donors, but haven't heard anything yet. I do hope Congress makes it illegal to sell the tickets on ebay, etc. That would take the possibility of attending the inauguration away from anyone but the wealthy. That wasn't what this campaign was all about.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I am getting very disappointed as my neighbor and I have tried calling the local people who worked in the campaign for tickets and can't reach them. I contacted my state representatives and have not heard from them.
I would have thought we would have been called and offered tickets.

Anonymous said...

"raise the price of tickets?" What are you talking about? Tickets are free. If you see tickets anywhere for sale, it's a scam. Do not buy them. Contact your congressman/woman or Senator if you want tickets.

Anonymous said...

I'm sick and tired of people saying they will be disappointed in him if he doesn't do this or that or whatever.

I believe you were referring to the tickets for the parade bleacher seats. If the COMMITTEE decides to raise the prices then so be it. Barack has got nothing to do with ticket prices. He's got more important things to focus on than the price of stupid inaugural tickets. Don't ya think??? Geez. What's wrong with you people????

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many people will be watching on TV worldwide. It would have to be about the largest worldwide audience ever. Viva Obama! Remarkable!

Anonymous said...

I bought my ticket to DC a month before the Nov/4th vote and I have reserved a Week for the celebration

Anonymous said...

I'll be one of the millions there!

Anonymous said...

Why is Obama going to continue the police state with the free speech zones Bushco invented?????

Anonymous said...

Probably for safety reasons.

Anonymous said...

I think I.M.P.E.A.C.H.org, got that ( free speech zone) legally overturned.

Anonymous said...

I predict it will be close to 5 million people, counting the parade route. Any bet takers?

Anonymous said...

my daughters and I will make the trip across the bridge to be in the number!

Anonymous said...

I'll be one of the million plus.

Anonymous said...

I predict almost 2 to 3 million people. The million man march brought in at least 800,000. And that was Black men only.

Anonymous said...

There are not enough Porta Potties in the US to handle the expected crowd.

Anonymous said...

This is going to be such an incredible moment in our lives. To think that we get to be apart of it no matter where we are. My husband and I tried to get a hotel room close to the D.C. area, no chance. Expedia took us to Delaware , but to the opposite side of the state. So from Southern California, we will be beaming with pride and going through every Kleenex box we have on January 20th.

Anonymous said...

I am chaperoning a group of high school students to be there for the inauguration! I can't wait!!! So glad Obama won!

Anonymous said...

I booked my hotel room way b4 he won. I'll be there President Obama!!!!! I can't wait!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This will be the most watched event in the world. Greater than the World Cup, greater than Diana wedding,
Greater than anything you ever saw on TV. Mark my words. The Historical siginificance of the inauguartion is just mind blowing. People around the world never thought that this would happen and now they will get to see it before their own eyes.

Anonymous said...

I'm flying into and staying in NY. I will take an Amtrak Acela train to and from DC. I don't have inauguration tickets yet, but I really hope I get at least 2 tickets from Senators Boxer or Feinstein from California. Their voice mail is full.

Anonymous said...

I really hope to be there. Crossing my fingers that we get confirmation from the Isaksons

Anonymous said...

This is only going to be secure if the timeline for the parade is broad and unpredictable. Be prepared to wait.

Anonymous said...

I hope that the President will STAY in his limo and ride all the way back to the White House after the swearing in.........

Anonymous said...

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!

Anonymous said...

One Million would be GREAT!

Anonymous said...

We can possibly get tickets, but the record number of people (we expect 3 million) could be too much to handle...

Anonymous said...

I believe GW had more than a million, but they were all throwing eggs.

Anonymous said...

I'm in NC and I was lucky to get a bus ticket from Charlotte with an overnight stay.

ALL hotels from Baltimore to Alexandria are sold out.

Amtrac from all NC destinations to and from DC are completely booked.

Flights into DC are booked.

One bus company has a 400 person wait list here in Charlotte!

People are making a pilgrimage or a life journey to DC.

Folks are coming from FL, Alabama, Mississippi and every state.

Thousands are coming from NC to DC.

My prediction is that the interstates like I95 will be jammed and that the area around DC will be completely packed.

It will surpass Woodstock, Dr. King's speech, and the Million Man March.

This WILL BE the biggest event in our lifetime.

They should just declare Tuesday a national holiday!

Rain, Sleet, Snow or shine we will be there!

And Trippdogg: I made every sentence into a paragraph.

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Mad Cathy!

Kudos.

Anonymous said...

I have family in D.C. and Maryland so I will be staying between the houses. I cannot wait I will get there on January 16th...This is amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

I think it would be a great gesture for Obama to visit the Lincoln Memorial on that day. It would be a nice way of having things come full circle.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha why? Time for Obama to make his own mark! and for Lincolnites to bow down to Obama!

Anonymous said...

OK, all y'all. what's the best plan? tell me in the next 2 minutes so I can jump on it. After that, I know I am on my own. Let it rip! I got my party clothes ready!

Anonymous said...

I would recommend a new free online service if you want to stay for cheap -- The Room Exchange Network -- www.roomexnet.com. This is an online service--free to use-- that matches people seeking cheap, clean short-term housing with individuals that have properties to offer on a short-term basis. It's certainly a better option than trying to get a $700 per night room at The Red Roof Inn.

Anonymous said...

I am eagerly awaiting that lovely January 20th day to see this President-elect Obama become President Obama and finally end the reign of George W. Bush...

However, I am nervous at the prospect of so many millions of people... mostly for Obama's safety. I know he is going to have serious protection... but that is a huge amount of people... and I just hope that the security forces are really on top of everything and keeping an eye out. I'm sure all will be fine... but... can't help but have that in the back of my mind!

Anonymous said...

No negative thoughts. No fear. send out only positive thoughts and prayers. Obama has spoken to huge numbers many times. All will be well.

Anonymous said...

As long as he stays away from Dallas TX for the next 8 yrs

Anonymous said...

In order to get into the 2009 Inauguration on January 20th you will need tickets. There are only 240,000 tickets being released to the public, but don't expect to be buying these tickets through Ticketmaster, unless you know a Senator or Representative it's going to be tough to get in. If you are thinking about forging a ticket, think again. The tickets are expected to be pretty close to forge-proof. As a matter of fact, officials won't even say what the tickets look like because of security reasons. The government obviously does not want anyone in the building that may be a threat, but wouldn't it be nice if it was open to the public.

Anonymous said...

Remember that in January, it's COLD & sometimes SNOWS in DC.

As long as Marion Barry isn't in charge of keeping the DC streets clear of snow & ice during this historic occasion, all visitors should be safe.

Make sure METRO has PLENTY of SMARTCARDS available, because after Jan 4th, there will be NO MORE PAPER BUS/RAIL TRANSFERS & each SMARTCARD will cost $5.

WMATA should be in for a winfall of profit, not to mention RECORD RAIL RIDERSHIP. (Do you hear what I'm saying Mr. Catoe? MAKE SURE the RAIL & bus system is 100% READY for a combination of bad weather & record passenger numbers for the Innaguration! Make sure that WMATA has more than enough SMARTCARDS available for purchase.)

REMEMBER Tourists. . . stand to the right on the METRO escalators & walk to the left.

Rental Cars ARE equipped with TURN SIGNALS. Use them when turning & changing lanes.

CELL PHONES & Driving DO NOT MIX.

In the event of 1/2" or less of snow in the forecast, Schools will close, Safeway, Giant, & Shoppers Food, will run out of Toilet Paper, Milk & Bread. Plan Accordingly.

Despite what you may have heard from your friends who have visited Washington DC recently in the past, ENGLISH is the PREFERRED language that we speak here.

Stay OFF the beltway 95/495 on Friday rush hours, unless you wish to see the nation's largest parking lot.

Last but not least. . . a RED Traffic signal means in DC/MD/VA to STOP. Unlike drivers here who don't know what turn signals are, or who also don't know what a RED LIGHT means (STOP).

Remember these little DC tidbits & your visit to DC will be memorable.

Please bundle up, it does get down right COLD in January.

And CONGRATS to Senator Obama, the NEXT President of the USA.

I for one, wish you success in your administration. =)

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm -- staying home & watching on TV seems more appealing after that comment...

Blog Archive