WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal authorities are warning law enforcement personnel of a possible terror plot against the New York City subway system during the holiday season.An internal memo obtained by The Associated Press says the FBI has received a "plausible but unsubstantiated" report that al-Qaida terrorists in late September may have discussed attacking the subway system.
The report indicates that al-Qaida terrorists "in late September may have discussed targeting transit systems in and around New York City. These discussions reportedly involved the use of suicide bombers or explosives placed on subway/passenger rail systems," according to the document.
"We have no specific details to confirm that this plot has developed beyond aspirational planning, but we are issuing this warning out of concern that such an attack could possibly be conducted during the forthcoming holiday season," states the warning, which is dated Tuesday.
While federal agencies regularly issue all sorts of advisory warnings, the language of this one is particularly blunt.
Intelligence and homeland security officials are working with local authorities to try to corroborate the information "and will continue to investigate every possible lead," the memo says.

84 comments:
Every time one of these "alerts" comes out, I get a sick feeling that some Abu Ghraib-grade scandal is about to break into the news, and that the Bushies are deflecting our attention.
Do you guys really still believe in al Qaeda? I'm just honestly asking you. Throw social pressure aside. Do you really think it's al Qaeda doing this?
YUP! Any fool could defeat NORAD from a cave on the other side of the world while on dialysis. Why can't you swallow that?!?
no, Al Qaeda is named after a database created in the 80s. it exists only in nominal form to scare the western civilians into giving up their freedoms to defend their freedoms.
al Qaeda was dreamt up by Intelligence services, we all know that.
Very dangerous, well-funded asshole morons.
Al Qaeda raped my dog. Ever since that day, I put a Jihad on their ass.
And that was after my dog ate my homework.
OR COURSE Al Qaeda is behind this!
There's also a boogeyman under my bed that I am conveniently afraid of.
No. I seriously believe al Qaeda is just a few washed-up terrorists.
I'm so tired of this bullshit. Apparently there is always someone plotting against the subways.
GOD DAMN IT!
The Dept of Homeland Insecurity has no right to exist. That was the job of the DOD, CIA and FBI. The powers given to them are unessacry duplicates and they commit immoral, illegal and unconstituional acts.
The TSA is legal in basic concept only, but is completly incompetant and oversteps the bounds when conducting their only legal right to regualte interstate and international commerce with unconsituion and illegal acts that often have no basis in facts and violate the 1st, 4th and 5th amandment (refering specifically to the right to not give encryption password).
And the police are going to use this as an exuces to do "random searchs" on entering the subway, which is unconsitutional no matter what the incorrect and incompetant (which they are if they can't see the obvious lack of reason behind it and the possible abuse for unwarrented searchs.
Gah! I can't stand ANY of these people. Oh and I'm looking forward to arguing with the TSA employee who said last time I went though there, and I quote: "Do you know TSA regulation" to which I answered: "No, but I know U.S. law, which one you think trumps?"
ok
/rant
Sorry; lots of spelling mistakes, typed it out quickly...also my opera browser doesn't seem to have a built-in spelling checker.
You're against random searches, eh???
Well. I guess we'll just have to check and see what you have in that bag, citizen.
And, while you're at it, bend over. Where are your papers?
Sincerely, Metro Transit Police.
Fox "news" has been reporting this as "a threat" rather than "A REPORT OF a threat".
There is a BIG, BIG difference. By aiding and abetting the Bush administration and their fear-mongering, Fox is, in my opinion, committing treason. Crying wolf day after day after day actually STRENGTHENS Al Qaeda's hand.
And Fox does it for propaganda purposes as well as to simply pump up their ratings and make some more blood money.
I like these two sayings;
"We have nothing to fear but fear itself" - Franklin D. Roosevelt
Whole speech here
http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5057/
(I wonder if we will be hearing this speech again soon)
and
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."
-- John F. Kennedy
Entire speech here; http://www.famousquotes.me.uk/speeches/John_F_Kennedy/5.htm
Also from Speech; "We dare not forget today that we are the heirs of that first revolution. Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans - born in this century, tempered by war, disciplined by a hard and bitter peace, proud of our ancient heritage - and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those human rights to which this Nation has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at home and around the world. "
I like that!
Here is an interesting essay about the Constitution called "Not yours to Give"
http://www.fee.org/library/books/notyours.asp
And, while you're at it, bend over. Where are your papers?
I wish I could find humor in that.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/10/23/2008-10-23_brooklyn_man_accuses_5_cops_of_sodomy_at.html
I agree with you 100%. However I hope I never hear you bitch about our government "hiding the truth" from us if/when another terrorist attack on our soil happens. I truly believe our government dropped the ball in preventing 9/11. But I don't believe they executed it. Call me naive, but look at terrorist attacks around the world and realize that some people just flat out are pissed off at some governments and countries. Now maybe those gov's did something to warrant that hate, but the vast majority of their citizens didn't.
I assume you haven't read Dick Cheney's September 2000 call for a "catastrophic, catalyzing event, like a new Pearl Habor" to speed up expansion of the U.S. military.
Not sure what to think of 9/11, a lot of info is out there, and I try to study as much as possible and come up with my own conclusions. Things that bother me about 9/11: 1. How did everything take a shit that day? It just seems odd that all the money spent before 9/11 could not prevent 9/11, NORAD unable to stop ANY of the planes, FBI intel before 9/11 (remember the reports about middle eastern men wanting to learn how to fly planes, but not how to land them?) 2. Did anybody lose their job over 9/11? Seems like some "officials" at some level would. 3. Why would anybody, and I really mean anybody, want the wrath of the best military in the world focused on them? 4. If you dare question the official 9/11 account you get a fun label like "tinfoil hat wearer" or "truther". 5. Who gained the most after 9/11? Terrorist or Halliburton? I wonder how I will react if within a few months of Obama taking office we have another event.
Right. Did you read the leak part?
No, no, no.
We need a DHS. They were made in case that the DoD, FBI, CIA, local law enforcement, and tipsters would never get it right the first time.
No one took anything seriously before 9/11 and now we have a brand shiny new department to keep us all safe, god bless.
satire for those who cannot tell.
'And the police are going to use this as an excuse to do "random searches" on entering the subway'
They've been doing this for years. Where've you been?
They don't need 'reports of terrorist threats' against the transit system to act. They got that seven years ago. Hell, the World Trade Center was built on a rail station.
'opera doesn't seem to have a built in spelling checker.'
Interesting. Firefox does. Operaniacs claim Opera is superior in every way, yet existing features are still re-requested because of Opera's poor UI.
Let's not fight among ourselves about which browser is better, that's just what the terrorists want.
lol
I know what you mean, but the browse happy movement is failing because of the paradox of choice - there are so many alternative browsers, it's hard to pick even one to start with, and IE is good enough, right?
http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php?c=4
go whine and bitch there
I should bitch that Opera doesn't have a spellchecker on the Mozillazine forums? Or should I bitch that Opera's UI sucks so people can't find features and thus think they aren't there? Either way, wouldn't that work better on http://my.opera.com?
I dont care where you go, stop whining and bitching about browser options in the middle of a government/terrorism post because it is just poor form. Stay on doc's topic
One man's government is another man's actual terrorists.
The government of the past 8 years is run by terrorists. They're just very wealthy terrorists with the backing of tv networks and newspapers.
I read that as "Economy not tanking fast enough; government ordered Manhattan closed for Black Friday."
Our government has been terrifying millions of people for many years now.
Government > Terrorism THAN Terrorists
It's an annual tradition of the Bush administration. He pardons a turkey and the Dept of Homeland Security imagines a new threat to make everyone worry about traveling over the holidays.
Don't tase our imaginations, bro!
I just spent the day in NYC, riding subways and the Long Island Railroad. I saw the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and met some funny and nice people.
Kardwell 1 - terrorists 0
The first one is free ....
"plausible but unsubstantiated" please read as "not true".
"al-Qaida terrorists in late September may have discussed attacking the subway system."
You know who else MAY have discussed attacking the subway system? . . . Anyone. Unless there's some concrete evidence that the people who (and if) were talking about this are actually Al Quaida and that they have an actual plan to attack the subway, those retarded allegations made by "intelligence agencies" are nothing but empty scare-talk.
Yes, my first thought was "what is Bush up to now?".
I fear my government more than "terrorists." So when will the definition of TERRORIST have Cheney's picture next to it?
Immediately striking to me is that they announced anything at all. It seems extremely obvious that they are ONLY trying to scare us...isn't all of the REAL terrorist information under wraps and classified? I know I don't get daily terror updates from W. on my iphone.
NO, they just always happen to occur when everyone will be with their families during a holiday with the television on most of the time.
That's my default position.
They want you to forget there is no defense against terrorism.
If one discounts any terror event that reveals plausible elements of FBI/Mossad involvement in synthetic/false-flag terror, then one is left with the realization that more Americans have been killed by ELEPHANTS in America than Arab "terrorists".
Think about it: With today's tracking technology, why would anybody DARE shed blood on American soil to bring the entire Pentagon machine down on their heads and their "Cause" or homeland?
The republicans are slow on the uptake...this should have been announced before the elections to benefit McCain.
I am so sick of these reports. Why do they publish them? What do they accomplish? Are we safer? No. By spreading information does this prove we are a vibrant democracy? No. WHAT THE FUCK does this reporting DO?!?! Pls, tell me why
Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt
That is exactly what those reports are meant to do.
Leak made-up news of a little attack and all of a sudden the Gov can do anything it wants for the next few months. I wonder what we should expect when Obama gets into office. Less of this I hope
"It's beginning to look alot like Christmas..."
I'm sick and tired of this scrap every year at this time. Just let us enjoy the holidays for once.
"plausible but unsubstantiated" ??? PUHlease. How about... Al-Qaeda is going to attack the Seattle Space Needle. There. Thats plausible but unsubstantiated. See, I can do it too. This is bullshit.
we're like a bunch of little girls.
HAHA, this fear mongering going on by the PARANOID RIGHT is just leading to their downfall. People are finally coming around to the idea that the world is not perfect and no amount of "intelligence" or spying is going to make it perfect.
I was sitting in NYC Grand Central on my laptop when this article first posted online. The funny thing is, the only thing I thought was how close minded right wingers would probably stay home and make their lives just a little bit colder by not traveling to see their families because they all fear the "so called terrorists" that are plotting against us all......... Those crazy republicans :)
Wow, now we're all going to stop taking the subway.
Right.
If I get blown up in the subway, I guess that's the risk I take for not living in a fucking shit hole in the middle of the desert.
There's no difference between government and terrorists. They're the same creature.
Anyone that buys into the propaganda about "terrorism" is either working for a government or is a complete idiot, though I repeat myself.
plausible but unsubstantiated... [terrorists] may have discussed?
These people get paid to gossip, more or less.
Oh PULLEEEEEEZZ... Now read it with Caps emphasis
'An internal memo obtained by The Associated Press says the FBI has received a "plausible but UNSUBSTANTIATED" report that al-Qaida terrorists in late September MAY HAVE DISCUSSED attacking the subway system.'
As the Bush government is the primary source of these "terrorist" reports, one would be wise to be suspicious of what this particular government says.
When was the last time the government was honest about anything? Only a fool keeps believing a pack of liars over and over again.
A terrorist can kill you, a government can make you a slave.
What scares you more?
Personally, I'll take liberty, and live with the risks.
Last time I checked the govt can kill you too... especially if you have too much liberty going on...
So was Hitler the head of a government or a terrorist?
The head of a terrorist government. Much like Bush. (Except Bush is really more like a figurehead... or sock puppet, even more likely.)
After the recent events in India, there may be some value in preventive measures.
If you think checking people's bags before they get on the subway is going to prevent anything then you are delusional.
If they can't get rid of or even FIND all the people who live in the NYC subway, how do they expect to stop anything with a bag search?
It's just another 'legal' breach of privacy.
nice...
Speaking of terrorists and Mumbai (which seems to have been resolved), if ever there was a time for political restraint from America, this would be it.
The United States needs to back off and let the Indian government handle this without any pressure or unasked for advice whatsoever.
Not everything that happens in the world is about us. It scares me to think what Bush might turn this incident into during the waning days of his Presidency.
God help us if he can't keep his mouth shut!
I think the response, so far, has been exactly right. We need to stand ready as an ally and partner. Sending an FBI team to assist with crime assessment is a very good move. We can share our latest techniques with India and still allow them to lead the investigation.
Dr. B. - I just love how you post topics on your blog that obliquely and humorously touch on what's happening. Rather than post something on Mumbai, you posted a different article...which led us to eventually consider Mumbai rationally. Kudos.
your right..time to be "more scared of what the govt will do than terrorists" - we need to keep an eye on Bush's war machine, Mumbai got settled without us. imagine that.
yeah but bush did get us involved..its pretty suspect that the FBI is there...........
why would they be involved........
Because American citizens were involved. The FBI always does an investigation when Americans are killed or kidnapped in foreign jurisdictions.
They ARE pretty good at solving a crime, you know.
Intelligence sources are saying the attacks bear the hallmarks of an international conspiracy. Do you read that as a precursor to claims that Al Qaeda or Pakistani intelligence may be involved in these attacks?
Ajai Sahni:It would be one or other. I don't know if it would be Al Qaeda per se. But it could be Al Qaeda-related groups, certainly. Even Lashkar-e-Toiba is under the umbrella of Al Qaeda. All these groups we are speaking of as suspects are in some sense linked historically to Al Qaeda. All these groups are also linked to the Pakistan intelligence establishment. So we don't see the possibility of an operation of this scale being mounted without the backing of groups that either currently or historically have links with Al Qaeda or Pakistan intelligence.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/171113/page/1
In other words, Ajai Sahni has NO idea.
The Indian authorities acted cautiously and responsibly, and saved an incredible number of lives. The d e a t h toll would have been much higher than it was.
The greater problem here is that t e r r o r i s t s all over the world will now use hotels as their new targets. After all, all Govt. buildings all over the world are well protected. But hotels have absolutely no security; anyone can check in with large suitcases filled with anything; there are lots of people in hotels; and lots of rooms to hide in.
Will this happen here in Washington D.C. on Jan 20th? Is this the catastrophe Bin Laden has been warning about?
Subways, hotels...when people do holiday traveling and use these. Freaking terrorists hate santa claus
first of all Osama Bin Laden is dead..........or if you prefer the second Obama is not in harm's way..........he hasn't made any enemies yet.......
oooo ooooo kin i be an enemy? Plz????
So the Secret Service can go on vacation till he ticks someone off? Yikes. Plus he's black, he was born with enemies, unfortunately.
It isn't the first time... but remember when everyone thought that cruise ships wold always be targets after the Achille Lauro?
This attack was coordinated but not very well organized.... which leads me to GUESS that it was staged by a rag-tag group.
Remember that AK-47's are practically available at FLEA MARKETS in that neck of the woods.
Boy, did the British Fuck up the region or what?
funny ....who do you think is behind the federal reserve??
the bank of england..........they english empire has made a mess of everything
India definitely has the potential to become the next Superpower!
Yes, and they're welcome to it. Hope they don't ignore their poor like we did when we bestrode the world like gods.
The shape of the crisis will consist of demands that the Pakistanis take immediate steps to suppress Islamist radicals across the board, but particularly in Kashmir. New Delhi will demand that this action be immediate and public. This demand will come parallel to U.S. demands for the same actions, and threats by incoming U.S. President Obama to force greater cooperation from Pakistan.
The Indians and Americans will have a joint interest in forcing the Pakistani government to act decisively and immediately. The Pakistani government has warned that such pressure could destabilize Pakistan. The Indians will not be in a position to moderate their position, and the Americans will see the situation as an opportunity to extract major concessions. Thus the crisis will directly intersect U.S. and NATO operations in Afghanistan.
The Indians will have no choice but to be assertive, and the United States will move along the same line. This is thinking far ahead of the curve, and is based on an assumption the attackers were Muslims and that the Pakistanis will not be able to demonstrate categorically that they weren"t involved. Since we suspect they were Muslims, and since we doubt the Pakistanis can be categorical and convincing enough to thwart Indian demands, we suspect that we will be deep into a crisis within the next few days, very shortly after the situation on the ground clarifies itself.
http://www.stratfor.com/analysis/20081126_red_alert
Saturday, November 29, 2008
Delete
Did India take such desperate measures after any of their previous disasters, like trains filled with hundreds being set on fire and villages being pillaged and burnt to the ground?
Post a Comment