WELCOME TO DR. B.'S WORLD

This new white format allows me to post complete pics (the other Blogger formats cut them off, practically in half). Pretend you're reading your newspaper or something.

Dates separate each post, barely, so look for the dates on the left. Print is large & readable. Comment section is unchanged. My Profile info was at the bottom, but I moved it back to the top. Deal with it.

[Disclaimer: Pursuant to the UCC (Uniform Comedy Code), all depictions of events and persons on this site are more real than reality itself, and therefore any resemblance to reality is not really real.]

Unbalanced. Unfair. I report. I decide.

ABANDON HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE. If you have already abandoned hope, please disregard this notice. In this blog, you'll be exposed to the way I see things. Lots of things. Stuff I think of. Things that happen. Random weirdness. Occasional seriousness. My life. My world. My universe. My reality. By reading this, you have given me brief control of your mind....

Dr. B.

Dr. B.

About Me

My photo
You damn kids get off my lawn.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

EVIDENCE THE REPUBLICAN PARTY IS UNDER THE WEATHER

I'm not so sure why Rep. Wamp, health care "expert," is smiling. 'Cause he just got his test results back and they said he's brain dead? With health care reform widely considered the next item on the "To-Do" list of President Obama and the Democratic Congress, it is no wonder the Republicans are sending out their best and brightest to hit the airwaves and present alternative solutions.

Congressman Zach Wamp, representing Tennessee's third district, was kind enough to give MSNBC anchor Tamron Hall a satellite interview from Capitol Hill Thursday morning. After remarks that the Democratic plan will "probably [be] the next major step towards socialism" (apparently the GOP is sticking with its favorite label, despite its lack of success in the fall election), the Republican, well, confused Ms. Hall, to say the very least.

Further describing efforts at reform to the nation's health care delivery system "class warfare," he stated plainly that access to medical attention is not a right, but "a privilege." An interesting assertion considering that depending on which poll you believe, upwards of three-quarters of Americans disagree.

The anchor tried to get the Representative to focus on some statistics, namely estimates that place the number of Americans without any coverage at all at approximately 46 million. Additionally, she asked about projections that in the near future as many as 1.5 million Americans could lose their homes due to high health care costs. She pressed on, asking the Congressman if an American with cancer does or does not have a right to treatment.



Mr. Wamp, in the logical and not-at-all erratic style of fellow party members of late, answered "I was just about to finish to say, that for some people it's a right, but for everyone, frankly, it's not necessarily a right." When questioned as to who exactly was entitled to the right to health care access, Wamp enlightened the audience with his belief that about half of the uninsured actually choosing to remain so.

Charging past the argument that in not having regular care from a doctor, very sick people wind up in hospital emergency departments, where it is illegal for them to be refused treatment anyhow and where such attention is far more expensive, Wamp pointed out that there are "gobs" of "illegal immigrants" who receive free treatment in the United States. An interesting and novel approach, considering the discussion was supposed to be about whether or not American citizens have a right to see and be treated by a doctor when needed.

rep. wamp, pompous windbag, award, msnbc, tamron hall, republican, health care, right, privilegeCould it be? Is it possible? Maybe Rep. Wamp is the leader that the GOP has been searching for all these months since the electorate's rejection of Sen. McCain. Could it be possible they have finally found their "The One?" Certainly, his ability to be on several sides of the same argument ("It's not a right," "It's a right for some," "Illegal immigrants get Elmo band-aids.") will come in rather handy for the minority party. Move over Bobby Jindal! Outta the way, Limbaugh. Suck it, Boehner! I think this Tennessee native son's dazzling intellect and rhetorical skills are in need of some recognition. If only I had such a--hey, wait a minute! Looky here. I just so happen to have this rather nice-looking "Pompous Windbag" prize just sitting around my document file. I know it's not exactly a Nobel Prize or an Oscar (alas, not even a Golden Globe) but, heck, it's what I've got to offer. Here, Congressman Wamp, for you...No, no, I insist. It's my privilege. *Cough*



.

77 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Congressman actually meant to say: Health care is for the privileged. That should clear up any misunderstanding.

Anonymous said...

That is exactly how republicans think! Rethugs think that health care is only FOR the privileged, health care is not a right or a privilege.

Anonymous said...

"It's a privilege"
Translation: "I've got mine, I'm vested with it for life, and I cannot be bothered giving a damn about the little people."

Anonymous said...

I saw this interview. You could tell Tamron Hall was surprised by his comment and visibly upset.

Republicans, they could care less about Americans.

They fail to understand that not every business offer their staff health insurance; not every business can afford to; not everybody earn enough money to go out there and purchase the expensive insurance that is out there.

Anonymous said...

They sure don't. They see little worker ants they can squash and exploit as they choose.

Anonymous said...

That's why I changed my major in college from Broadcast Journalism to English. I don't have the proper temperament to interview people. There's no way I would have kept my cool.

Anonymous said...

Keeping good healthy production units is sound business. If you don't want to think of our citizens as human beings, at least think of them in terms of making money.

Anonymous said...

That there is the difference. It's fundamental. They don't care about human beings. It's all about being privileged in their little world.

Euros view health care as a human right. Something we ALL need to survive, rich or poor.

Republicans the no-compassion, anti-humanitarian party.

They had better do a little house cleaning before they go on the anti-socialism rampage: they've got more than one closet socialist among them.

Anonymous said...

" Health care is a privilege. "

OK, let's run with that. Let's all demand that Rep. Zach Wamp's government-provided health care "privilege" be REVOKED immediately. Voters in Tennessee really need to set this jerk straight.

Anonymous said...

Zack Wamp is the one that is engaging in class warfare. The has become one of the Republican planks for their party, to engage in class warfare. Repubs want only a small group of rich ruling over the poor, they don't want a middle class anymore.

Anonymous said...

I wish he would just move to Mexico instead of trying to make our country another third world nation.

Anonymous said...

Well, fancy that, a Republican spouting off facts and figures without finding out what he is actually talking about. The majority of people who opt out of their company's health insurance do so because they are already covered on their spouse's policy - not because they don't want to pay for health care coverage.

Oh, I'm sure there are plenty of people who are stupid enough to opt out because they don't want to pay for it but they are definitely not the majority of people who opt out. And then there are those people whose kids would go hungry or who wouldn't be able to afford enough gas to get to work if they paid for health insurance. I guess those people don't have a right to health care, either.

Anonymous said...

So much for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness huh? How are people supposed to exercise their individual freedoms when corporate profiteers steal their money and their ability to petition government?

Anonymous said...

Zack Wamp - Born on third base and thought he hit a triple.

Anonymous said...

lol

Anonymous said...

Dems should put forward a bill stripping naked all Repugs of their free health care.

Anonymous said...

He accidentally said what the GOP thinks but never never says out loud.

Anonymous said...

I agree.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad he said it, maybe it will open up some eyes and help finish off the hater-of-regular-people party.

Anonymous said...

When he was abusing drugs and alcohol to a degree that he required in patient treatment, did his family opt out of their insurance paying for that particular visit?

So I'm supposed to pay attention to him why?

Anonymous said...

He represents the people? I hope the people in Tenn. wake up and throw this selfish S.O.B.
out -- only cares abut the top 5%

Anonymous said...

Rethuglicans have proven time and time again they have no compassion caring or concern for 'thy neighbor'. They are the most unchristianly people to walk this earth. It's ok to bail out and help corporations - but when you want to help middle america it's called socialism????

Anonymous said...

LGraham was on today - he said he'd be happy to pay more than (and I think I heard this correctly) the $46.00 he currently pays through his congressional policy. I'd love to pay 46.00/month for my insurance, instead of the 800.00/month that my wife and I are paying (and we're healthy). If we all had the same options that these congress members have and could get coverage for 46.00/moth, then I might agree - anyone who didn't buy in might be held responsible for the "choice" they made if they opted out. I think members of congress should have to join the system we're caught up in, then let's see how easy it is to criticize the uninsured for their bad "choices". What an idi0t.

Anonymous said...

This guys a jackass.
I had health insurance for 10 years. Every year the premium would rise. I had to "opt out" when the premiums became 30% of my paycheck. I only used it a few times a year, but it was great peace of mind having it but I simply couldn't afford it anymore.
This kind of stuff grinds my gears!!

Anonymous said...

Especially from someone who gets free health care for himself and his entire family paid for by us.

Anonymous said...

Also...

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, ensure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, PROMOTE THE GENERAL WELFARE, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Anonymous said...

Well said. If the Founding Fathers had lived in the modern world they would have included Universal Health Care in the Bill of Rights.

Anonymous said...

How about Article 25 of the UNIVERSAL Declaration of Human Rights?
Article 25.

* (1) Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.
* (2) Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.

Anonymous said...

I love to see this.

At least he is being honest about what the Republican party is about.

Their platform is a thinly veiled platform of absolutely no respect for any level of human right, a complete disregard for any personal right and a push to expand the idea of corporate property rights.

For the Republicans, everything - and that means everything - should come through and be paid for by the free market system - there is no better way to hold the middle and lower classes down.

The lessons we have learned in the past that needs are not always met through the free market (i.e. fire and police protection) are completely ignored.

Further, it is only through this unfettered system of capitalism that the ownership class can continue to exploit the working class of America and maintain their power.

He is right in a way - socialism is about class warfare, but there is also no doubt that capitalism is as well.

Do not be fooled into thinking that the capitalists are looking out for anything but their own interests.

The question is which side should have the power - the 90% of Americans that fall into the working class, or the 10% that fall into the ownership class.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You always manage to hit the nail on the head, oh wise one. What you said really spells out for me just where the repugs are coming from: from the wealthy minority that own them as well as the media, and are looking out only for themselves! No wonder they're railing against socialism - they're afraid it'll mean the end of capitalism and their power/wealth.

Anonymous said...

I hope the dems keep this clip to use in the next election. I wonder how many of his constituents lose their "privilege" because they lose their job and can't afford the cobra payments in this economy.

Anonymous said...

Just another great example of how the party of 'Christian morality' ignores the teachings of Christ.

Anonymous said...

Christ was a socialist and the GOP refuses to admit it.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Wamp prays really hard in church for the uninsured?

What a hypocrite.

Anonymous said...

Funny how all these righties who are against universal health care have health care coverage.

Funny how all the righties arguing against helping homeowners have enough money to pay for their housing and can afford lawyers to go over their paperwork when buying property.

How did such miserly and miserable people get to make the rules?

Anonymous said...

Ambition is a powerful thing. You don't have to be compassionate, you don't have to be fair, and you don't have to be smart. Ambition can overcome all odds. All republicans have plenty of ambition.

Anonymous said...

Wamp says health care is a privilege, but he's not talking about health care in the rest of his statements - he's talking about health INSURANCE. that's not "health care."

The media really need to make the distinction, because people like Wamp are deliberately muddying the waters.

Health insurance providers make their profits by NOT providing health care. It's a classic example of conflict of interest.

Anonymous said...

Health Care is a "Privilege"? oh really? I guess for the wealthy it is, because they don't worry about being able to afford it. For us regular folks it's a struggle. Someone should have slapped this guys face when he was born! What a horrible statement to make. One can only hope this guy would lose everything he has, including his job and healthcare and get some kind of disease that would take a whole lot of medical care to cure! Wonder how fast he would say it's a privilege then?

Anonymous said...

Paragraphs?

Anybody?

I wanted to read that comment but my eyes glaze over when there's no white space breaks.

Anonymous said...

Ah, keebiejeebie... the paragraph policeman strikes again. LOL

Anonymous said...

And some people opt out of their health insurance because they need to pay the rent, or car payment so they can get to work, or buy food for their families.

What about people who lose their health insurance because of a previous condition, because once you get sick and had some operations you can't get insured by anyone? You get repeatedly turned down.

What about homeless folks, or people trying very hard to improve their lives?

What about people who work for some temp places or part time jobs?

I guess non of those people are privileged enough to deserve quality health care.

Republicans are continually heartless.

America, we have to do better.

Anonymous said...

Even the Health insurance we HAVE costs too much... $900 a month with a $5000 deductible. We have to have paid doctors, labs, hospitals, pharmacies, etc., out of pocket until we pass $5000 before they pay a dime (and all the while we also have to pay them $900 a month). Scam!!!

Anonymous said...

Those who feast at the public trough should not draw too much attention to themselves.

Anonymous said...

His ancestors told Mary that there was no room at the inn.

Anonymous said...

. . . bingo. . .

Anonymous said...

Great line!!!!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately it is not only the GOP that is stupid, many many US citizens are stupid enough to swallow the propaganda form the right, usually to their own detriment.

Anonymous said...

I think a simple law would solve the problem.

It would simply state that: "No member of Congress shall have no publicly funded health insurance or other publicly funded benefit that exceeds the health insurance and benefits held by the lowest member of society."

Seems like the kind of bill that they could pass this afternoon without debate. There wouldn't be need for amendment.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you: if there is no serious health care reform, they may have to face excessive premiums like the rest of us. After all, they are our "representatives"

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a winner!

Anonymous said...

I'm on board for that one! Let's extend it to their staffs as well.

Anonymous said...

Best idea I've heard all week.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like something that commie pinko socialist Jesus said about taking care of the least of us.

Anonymous said...

The Repaliban is at it again.

Zach Wamp is no doubt pro-life but anti health.

To argue that the emergency rooms of America are a viable alternative is as ridiculous as his referring to health care as a privilege.

Where do they come up with these people?

Oh yes, Tennessee, I see! Another state as bad as my home state of Louisiana.

The backward thinking trying to prevent the nation from moving forward.

Anonymous said...

Yep, yep...they love to mention that about how it's not a right laid out in the Constitution....ya know, the one written during the times of bloodletting for all that ails you.

Anonymous said...

Repaliban! LOL! Soooooooooooo fitting.

Anonymous said...

Uninsured people visiting ERs for common ailments drives up the cost of health care for everyone which helps drive up insurance rates.

Of course this is too complicated for GOP supporters to understand. Too many words

Anonymous said...

Republicans:

Health care/ health insurance -

A privilege for the privileged.

Anonymous said...

Says it all. I'll remember that!
A privilege for the privileged.

Anonymous said...

Got chest pains?

Got $13k to see what caused them?

Then you must be a republican.

Anonymous said...

I bet with that attitude Wamp gets womped in the next election. How many of his constituents are without healthcare I wonder... in TN? Lots.

Anonymous said...

Zack Wamp (The Swamp) is Representative of the 3rd District (Chattanooga area) in Tennessee. He like Senator Alexander and the retired Senator Bill Frist, don't care about the little man or woman. They all have or had the best in health care provided, so you little people don't matter.


Note: This man Wamp aspires to be the next Senator, replacing Lamar Alexander. People in their right mind need to reject this want-to-be. Tennesseans open up your eyes and don't go down the tube again like Kentucky, Alabama, Georgia, or Mississippi with this buffoon.

Anonymous said...

In 2010, one hopes the electorate will be smart enough to revoke his privilege.

Anonymous said...

For many election cycles, the 3rd District swings Republican even though the larger cities swing Democrat.

Sometimes I don't understand what the people of this area are thinking. They seem not to vote for what would be better for them. The same goes with the state of Tennessee as a whole. They would rather cut off their nose to spite their face.

Anonymous said...

This is a tried and true Repug argument.

"The Constitution & Bill of Rights doesn't PROMISE health care."

Without health, how do we have life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness??

And how can we proclaim that ALL are created equal??

NO JOB, NO HEALTH INSURANCE..have you checked the unemployment figures recently?

PRIVILEGE...the one thing rethugs always enjoy!

Kiss mine!

Anonymous said...

and mine too. Hear Hear ! in total agreement. Consider the source. a Tenn. Republicant Rep. numb between the ears.

He just wants to get re-elected in his district, which must be made up of a lot of Rush lovers. give me a break.

Anonymous said...

Emergency rooms?

I don't have health insurance, so when I got sick back in December, when I couldn't speak for a week, I went to the ER because I needed a "sick note" so that I could stay home from work. In a restaurant. Where I would need to talk to people and be around their food. I needed this note so that I wouldn't get fired. Now I'm stuck with a $900 medical bill for a sick note for a job that I ended up quitting a few weeks later because I was sexually assaulted in the kitchen and my manager proceeded to call me "retarded".

At the time, I was working seven days a week at two part-time jobs because I couldn't get a full-time job.

So tell me, you who are taken care of from the moment you're sworn in to the moment you die, why is YOUR well-being more important than mine?

Anonymous said...

Welcome. Always nice to see a new commenter. Having said that, I'm really sorry for your hardship Christina. Keep your head up, it has to get better right?

Anonymous said...

According to Wamp, this was your choice, right?

I wish you well in health and employment prospects.

Anonymous said...

Christina, sadly this is the America we now live in, where a company's bottom line is more important than an individual's life.

There's no way the repubs can spin that reality.

There was a guy who shot himself in the head yesterday as a SWAT team invaded his home to reposses it. Rather than sending in a mental health professional, they'd rather send in a highly paid SWAT team to evict the guy. Now his home sits empty, and no one is paying the motrgage. So the home will be re-sold to ex-Countrywide financiers at 15% of what they sold the home for 3 years ago, making at minimum a 50% profit.

Christina, they do not care about us and never will.

Their constituents are as dumb and uncaring as the politicians. It is time we take our country back! I hope you find meaningful employment soon and can put this tragedy behind you. This is a sad day in America!

Anonymous said...

consider where this guy comes from. the Red Zone of America.

Anonymous said...

Here's a gem:

"Wamp added a thinly veiled "redistribution of wealth" argument, saying that the president wants to take money from those who already have health care to pay for those that don't have it."

My response is what does he think happens every time you visit a doctor, ER, etc? Take the money you paid, add the amount your insurance company paid Rep. Wamp and then ask yourself why the cost is so high. Part of the reason is that you are paying the cost of care provided to the uninsured.

Now, is he going to say that care should be denied, thus lowering our costs because that's the American way? Somehow I doubt it. But fortunately for Rep. Wamp no journalist is likely to ask him anything like that.

Anonymous said...

If we want to compete in a world economy, we have to level the playing field. The field is currently not level.

Our businesses cannot compete with countries whose businesses do not have to supply health care for their workers.

It is as simple as that.

This is not freakin' rocket science. These Republicans have to make up their minds...are they pro-business or anti-government? Which one is their priority? The way they are going now, it seems as if they are BOTH.

If you are pro-business, then health care reform makes sense.

Anonymous said...

A couple of years ago Toyota wanted to open a new plant in the USA.

They opened it in Canada instead.

The deal breaker was the cost of providing health insurance to their workers.

Anonymous said...

Rep. Zach Wamp is clearly an idiot who doesn't understand the definition of socialism and clearly doesn't understand our philosophy on healthcare in America.

1) Medicare and Medicaid are forms of socialized medicine.

2) the American philosophy on healthcare is it is a right, not a privilege; programs like Medicare and Medicaid exist to give people without health insurance access to healthcare because we believe healthcare is a right, not a privilege; this philosophy is also reflected in our laws; it illegal for hospitals to refuse emergency medical treatment to patients without healthcare insurance.

We believe in the right to have healthcare so much that we made it the law of the land with the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act.

With this Act, we ensured the public's access to healthcare--the RIGHT to healthcare in an emergency regardless of a person's ability to pay.

Anonymous said...

Ever think that the high cost of medical insurance had something to do with the salaries of ceo and next level execs at united healthcare, cigna, aetna, etc?

- the afl/cio has a web site listing ceo compensation for all the major companies - LOTS OF CEO'S AT HMO'S AND INSURANCE COMPANIES MAKING MULTIPLE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS ANNUALLY (HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS IN SOME CASES)... and paying physicians less than medicare rates ... might explain why no one is going into primary care, internal medicine, family medicine, anymore.

- BILL MCGUIRE AT UNITEDHEALTHCARE WAS OFFERED A ONE BILLION DOLLAR SEVERANCE PACKAGE, SHORTLY AFTER BEING GIVEN 124,000,000 WHEN HE CAME ON BOARD -

Anonymous said...

Too complicated for GOP supporters. They only get 10 words or less.

Blog Archive