WELCOME TO DR. B.'S WORLD

This new white format allows me to post complete pics (the other Blogger formats cut them off, practically in half). Pretend you're reading your newspaper or something.

Dates separate each post, barely, so look for the dates on the left. Print is large & readable. Comment section is unchanged. My Profile info was at the bottom, but I moved it back to the top. Deal with it.

[Disclaimer: Pursuant to the UCC (Uniform Comedy Code), all depictions of events and persons on this site are more real than reality itself, and therefore any resemblance to reality is not really real.]

Unbalanced. Unfair. I report. I decide.

ABANDON HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE. If you have already abandoned hope, please disregard this notice. In this blog, you'll be exposed to the way I see things. Lots of things. Stuff I think of. Things that happen. Random weirdness. Occasional seriousness. My life. My world. My universe. My reality. By reading this, you have given me brief control of your mind....

Dr. B.

Dr. B.

About Me

My photo
You damn kids get off my lawn.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

RORY CULKIN ONLY REMAINING SANE MEMBER OF THE CAST FROM THE MOVIE 'SIGNS'








.

82 comments:

Anonymous said...

can I order whatever meds Joaquin Phoenix is taking online?

Anonymous said...

Who else thinks (hopes) we're being punked, here?

Anonymous said...

Absolutely we are being punked, I smell a Borat type movie with this.

Anonymous said...

i hope so - otherwise poor dude is totally insane

Anonymous said...

Quitting acting for rapping?
"Stick to your day job" comes to mind...

Anonymous said...

I used to think Joaquin Phoenix was pretty sexy. This bearded fat guy-- NOT so much.

Anonymous said...

It's Andy Kaufman, without the irony.

I didn't know Joaquin could rap.

Evidently neither does he.

Anonymous said...

haha, if this is not Borat type movie hype I feel quite sorry for him, he's not only delusional, but he's gone way off the deep end here.

Anonymous said...

Jim Morrison comes to mind when I see the weight gain and that beard, I hope his family is watching him closely...

Anonymous said...

The Phoenix family raised their kids in the Children of God cult.

The group has been accused of encouraging sexual relations between adults and minors.

River Phoenix claimed that he lost his virginity at the age of four while a member of this sect.

These men were likely traumatized by such experiences and it speaks volumes about the death of River as well as Joaquin's currently unbalanced condition.

Anonymous said...

Dude looks like he's going through some sort of midlife crisis.

Anonymous said...

Get thee to an AA meeting, quickly!

Anonymous said...

Makes me long for the good old days of Vanilla Ice and that K-Fed guy who married Britney.

Anonymous said...

He was such a great actor...and now he just looks like he needs to go to the Betty Ford Clinic.

Anonymous said...

I think the guy might have had a nervous breakdown or something

Anonymous said...

I love Dave, but it's sort of sad when he's sticking it to someone who won't/can't defend themselves. I thought it was a little mean. Although I did mostly laugh. . .

Anonymous said...

true but then again one of the best aspects of Dave is that he often refuses to play the "game"

Anonymous said...

Can anyone confirm that is actually Joaquin Phoenix and not some crazed fan who is attempting to take over his life? LOL Wow... If that is him, his loved ones should make sure that he is doing okay and not in need of some kind of intervention. (Joaquin - best of luck to you, surround yourself with the right people)

Anonymous said...

Wow. I have a whole new appreciation for Letterman. He worked his ass off to keep that from all just being dead air.

Joaquin is clearly in need of psychological help. I wouldn't go as far to say he was decompensating on the show but he's only a few steps from it. Whatever drug he was on didn't help -- Heroin? - we couldn't see his eyes, he seemed not to be there at times, and was slurring his words.

I hope the studio intervenes before sending him on anymore promotional dates.

Anonymous said...

dave tried everything he could - but he's not a miracle worker. guests come on to talk. phoenix wouldn't talk. dave made dead air funny - that's his gift, but in the end don't hold your breath expecting letterman to invite phoenix back on to PROMOTE his rap CD and career. he was on TONIGHT to ostensibly promote his FILM, which involved a lot more people than just phoenix. *fail*

Anonymous said...

Those videos were..... well.... really different.... and entertaining in a warped sort of way! David was hilarious and I haven't a clue where Joaquin was at. Not a clue!

Anonymous said...

The film Joaquin Phoenix was on Letterman to promote is 'Two Lovers' - 78% Fresh Tomatoes at :
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1200889-two_lovers/
Pretty high ranking. If he's serious, it's his last film.

Anonymous said...

This wasn't a joke, or performance art, my friends. Joaquin wasn't right...something is definitely wrong there..

Anonymous said...

Exactly! It was genuine.

Anonymous said...

I like the way David Letterman handled the interview with his usual skill and good humor. His interview with Farah Fawcett a few years back was just as strange, but he got thru it too.

Anonymous said...

I think it was staged by both Letterman and Phoenix.
Joaquin probably told Dave that he wants to be the surly rapper now
and Dave went along with it.

Anonymous said...

Awkward. Joaquin if you don't want to promote your film, don't go on the show. If you do go on, then deliver, bud. We get it...you're a sensitive artist. Great. Fulfill your contract but without being a jerk buddy. Get off the sauce..you AND your liver will be better for it.

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling it was more than "sauce"...the guy is heading toward mental illness, if he isn't already there..

Anonymous said...

Joaquin was FILLED with anger and hostility. He came alive when mocked, the gum bit, VERY passive aggressive. My bet is some major implosion isn't far off.....

Anonymous said...

I agree... really weird.

Anonymous said...

He either really doesn't care what people think, or is acting like he doesn't care what people think. Why be on the show at all if it's the former? And wouldn't it be a bit disingenuous to use a highly successful, mainstream talk show to prove how unHollywood he is? It just seems like his eccentricism is a little too stylized. Or maybe the dude really is cracking up.

Anonymous said...

If you watch this old video of Letterman/Pheonix you'll see a huge difference in personality. Scary!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFbiNwrBILU

Anonymous said...

Weird. This kinda-sorta reminds me of Crispin Glover's appearance back in .. what? 1987 or so? When he nearly kicked Dave and was removed from the show.

Letterman was probably thinking, "I'm too old for this shit."

Anonymous said...

Anyone remember the one with natasia kinski....

Anonymous said...

LMAO !!!!

Anonymous said...

Crispin Glover on Acid on Letterman:

http://www.spike.com/video/crispin-glover-on/2644822

Anonymous said...

Letterman was pretty easy on him, all things considered. When it was over, I knew I had seen a weird TV moment here on doc's blog (missed the actual show). Think I'll pass on the movie. And on the rap. Awful.

Anonymous said...

Time for an intervention. I'd hate to see him end up like his brother.

Anonymous said...

Either he was on drugs/alcohol, or he was masterfully pulling Letterman's leg.
I can't quite figure it out. It doesn't seem so obvious to me that he was on something.

Anonymous said...

That was fake.

Anonymous said...

Nuh-uh!

Anonymous said...

something is totally wrong with him. most likely a combination of things. i've seen him on plenty of talk shows and such where he is lively and talkative. he has had good interviews with letterman before. i think letterman did a good job of keeping control of his show. the "i'll come to your house and chew bubble gum" pretty much summed everything up. joaquin was embarrassing himself on letterman's show. hope he gets better. i really like him.

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing his done with movies. That performance is guaranteed to keep his phone from ringing. I know actors are self-involved, but he takes the cake.

Anonymous said...

dave should have him back on to do the rap act simply for the comedic potential

Anonymous said...

This is how your "Hip Hop" album ends up in the clearance section of every record store in America and abroad. How's he gonna sell his album when he can't even sell the movie he just starred in?

Anonymous said...

I think he's acting. Playing a part.

Anonymous said...

I really hope you're right. Because he reminds me so much of a family friend who drifted into mental illness and ended up addicted to heroin and in all kinds of trouble with the law. The physical change and the way he is responding to questions is eerily similar to our friend.

I would hate to think this is what is happening to Joaquin Phoenix, he is really a talented actor. But mental illness can strike anyone, so we can't rule it out.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but the guy is an Acadamy Award level actor capable of believable performances! You can believe he's on drugs or mentally ill because he's such a good actor.

Anonymous said...

But why the elaborate stunt? And at the expense of the movie he's there to promote? Doesn't compute..

Anonymous said...

Are we going to hear that Letterman was Punked!! That's the only thing I thought. Can Phoenix really have gone off the deep end that bad???

Anonymous said...

I don't think it was an act, I think he's headed down the Britney Spears road.

Anonymous said...

Let's hope it's not the same as his brother's.

Anonymous said...

I watched both videos, and have been stunned since Joaquin walked on the stage(s). My first thought was, "he couldn't go to the trouble of combing his hair?" As the minutes wore on, I began to think that he surely has stepped on some sort of tripwire in his head. What a train wreck!

Anonymous said...

LAS VEGAS, NV - After an abysmal showing this weekend, Joaquin Phoenix has had his Hip Hop privileges revoked.

At LAVO this Saturday, a scruffy and clearly inebriated Joaquin Phoenix mumbled through a three song rap set which is already being called one of the worst in the genre’s history. Fans were unsure what to make of the spectacle, thinking it must be a joke. Then he fell off the stage.

In an emergency meeting, the High Chancellors of Hip Hop, including Grandmaster Flash, Funkmaster Flex and Snoop Dogg, came to the decision to revoke Joaquin’s rap privileges. “We don’t want to have what happened to the blues, where a bunch of rich guys from Hollywood destroy decades of heritage.” said Snoop d-o-double-g.

“I’m really sorry to all the people I’ve let down. I never wanted to hurt anybody,” Joaquin said while leaving an LA nightclub on Sunday. Then he fell off the sidewalk.

Mr. Phoenix can appeal the decision within the next thirty days, provided he agrees to take mandatory History of Hip Hop and Rapping for Beginners courses.

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. God.

People. Joaquin Phoenix is an actor. He is acting.

Casey Affleck is following him around shooting a documentary. What do suppose that documentary is about? You think it's just happenstance that while they are filming that documentary, Joaquin is completely falling apart before the cameras' eyes? It's just a coincidence that the start of this filming coincided with Joaquin's announcing he's quitting the biz? What timing!

"But look at him! He's so BELIEVABLY crazy and high!"

Yes. He is AN ACTOR. Believability is his game.

Go to YouTube and look at an earlier interview between Joaquin and Dave. It is perfectly normal. This is not Joaquin's true self now coming to the surface; it's a character. Look at the earlier video and you'll see Joaquin's true self: a decent, likable, affable guy with talent.

It's a weird Andy Kaufman-style joke. And it's kind of brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Tommy, I really hope you're right and this is a gag because otherwise this is incredibly sad. He needs to be in rehab if it is not a joke.

Anonymous said...

ROTFLMAO!!! Adlib strikes again. (were Ranting Tommy & Jacob Von Hogflume may have been too busy composing and posting to LOL?)

Anonymous said...

Guilty...I should have reloaded the page to see new comments like adlib's, but when I get on a rant..............

Anonymous said...

i've watched letterman since he first came on the scene (yeah, i'm that old) and he's the best there is at poking fun at posers. and this was definitely one of those poser moments. it shall live in broadcast history and no one, absolutely no one, will ever take joaquin phoenix seriously as a rapper. i'd feel sorry for the guy, but he has brought this on himself.

two other words: "farrah fawcett". didn't you love dave's quick mind with that comment?

Anonymous said...

One other take: He and Dave choreographed it.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure it's performance art. But it's still not fair to Letterman if he's not in on it.

Anonymous said...

"Joaquin, I'm sorry you couldn't be here tonight..."

ROFL Best line of the segment.

Anonymous said...

It's all an act. It's an artistic experiment. Casey Affleck is following him around, documenting the whole thing.

And everyone's falling for it.

Anonymous said...

Over at Entertainment Weekly, a source reported that Casey Affleck and Phoenix are the orchestrators of a massive hoax. According to EW, Phoenix told the unnamed source, "It's a put-on. I'm going to pretend to have a meltdown and change careers, and Casey is going to film it."

The Hollywood Reporter further announced that Affleck would be making a documentary chronicling his brother-in-law's music career, which gave the news a bit more weight.

EW's source was also quoted as saying "It's an art project for him. He's going full out. He probably has told his reps that he's quit acting. Joaquin is very smart. This is very conscious. He has a huge degree of control."

Anonymous said...

Really? Wow! He's getting into the part too much then. Remember what happened to Jim Carrey during the filming of 'Man On The Moon'? He method-acted himself 24/7 into the role of Andy Kaufman and damn near couldn't pull himself out of it.

Anonymous said...

Right... and Joaquin Phoenix is a method actor who is also known for staying in character until filming is wrapped. Meaning - either he's losing himself to this role of former actor/ overweight weird rapper wannabe, or that's who he really is...either way, he's in trouble!

Anonymous said...

So............
He hasn't quit acting?
He's still acting?
And he's playing...Joaquin Phoenix??

Anonymous said...

Maybe he was acting, but he sure convinced me he was really stoned, drund, drugged, medicated, or around the bend.

Whatever the truth, he seems like a very shy guy who is not into the "I'm a star" thing.

But, if you are not into the star thing, its best to avoid shows like this. I mean why bother, if you are in an introverted mode.

Joaquin seems like a borderline eccentric, who has enough money to live a life being exactly who he is. And not into pleasing other people.

Anonymous said...

Looking and sounding a lot like his brother in the weeks before his demise.

Anonymous said...

I swear this is method acting, and he's totally into it.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a nervous breakdown to me.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking it's supposed to!

Anonymous said...

It's creating the shadow of a doubt about where reality and illusion depart that makes for great acting.

And in drawing this intriguingly offputting role out for months, with no end in sight, Phoenix may be pulling off a move so ballsy, they'll still be teaching it in 22nd-century Method class.

Anonymous said...

Whether for real or a put-on, it was not funny, entertaining, or informative. It was just boring, painfrul to watch and embarrassing. IF it was a joke, it was poorly conceived and executed. If it is for real, the man needs help. If I were Letterman, I would have gone to commercial and gotten him offstage.

Anonymous said...

My initial reaction to Phoenix's Letterman appearance was, "LOL!!! He is SO channeling Andy Kaufman!" But now I'm thinking he is trying to upstage Sacha Baron Cohen.

Anonymous said...

Are there not enough damaged and mentally ill in our society that this deserves our attention? If this fellow is what he seems to be - troubled at best, psychotic at worst - who benefits by our interest? If he is playing a role - beyond the addled celebrity (a cliche) - what is the value to anyone even if his performance is an epic, monumental feat of the actor's craft (though quite doubtful from what I've seen)? If this is art, there are immortal artists on dozens of street-corners in every American town. If it is social commentary - I see and hear better at any given happy hour. If it is a simple invitation to voyeurism, I'll pass. Who wouldn't?

Anonymous said...

If it was fake, I hope to god it's not for a mockumentary. If you've lost someone to drugs (as Phoenix has) or serious mental illness, that wasn't funny to watch - it HURT to watch. I'm telling myself it's for real and he needs help and just has idiot PR people who think they can make this better by spinning it as a joke.

Anonymous said...

Joaquin is one of his generation's most gifted actors. He did something entirely original on Letterman--a kind of Mad Magazine dark parody of an appearance. He did the Anti-Letterman, so to speak. Of course it was a performance; he betrayed himself during one moment of the interview when he could barely keep himself from laughing. It was hilarious--a master-stroke of publicity--look at how much attention he's generating!! It was no less fake than the "love affairs" between co-stars before their movie premieres, timed to begin while the movie is shooting and to end as soon as it leaves the box office.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of a (possibly apocryphal) story concerning the filming of "Marathon Man". To prepare himself for a scene, Dustin Hoffman immersed himself in a bathtub full of ice cubes. His co-star, Laurence Olivier, poked his head in the door, and after regarding his colleague's teeth-chattering, blue-skinned condition, asked "Why not simply try acting, dear boy?"

Anonymous said...

I think it's a ruse for several reasons.

One, if Phoenix truly wanted a career in hip hop, he is talented enough to pull it off. Does this this act mean he's NOT a fan of hip hop, and he wants to send a strong message out that it is a ridiculous musical medium? 'Cause he ain't doing hip hop any favors.

Two, if he was either disturbed or under the influence, Letterman would not have kept poking at him for giggles. Letterman was in on the "joke"; Phoenix cracked a few times during the interview, was trying not to smile.

Three, this is obviously a mockumentary, since Affleck is keeping track of Phoenix's "breakdown".

I love me some goofy humor, but I don't find Phoenix very amusing. His attempt at ...whatever ...(Method Acting?) is cruel at heart. What is he trying to say? That our society holds celebrities in too high esteem? That our paradigm needs a major shift? How dare we question a beloved actor's bizarre behavior? Leave the poor, tortured, brilliant artist alooooonnne!

I was actually concerned for him for a while, as I'm sure many were, but now I just see a spoiled, bored actor wasting time.

At least Kaufman was honest.

Anonymous said...

Joaquin's 'performance' was about 80% accurate:there were parts of it I didn't think were that of a disturbed person, whether acted or not.

On the other hand, many actors have personality disorders and can readily pull out some set pieces. Method actors are a pain in the ass because like on Letterman, it is only interesting to the actor and not those around them.

Remember Daniel Day Lewis insisting on staying in the wheelchair while off the set of 'My Left Foot' and wanted to be carried up the stairs etc.

Christian Bale's rant I believe was because he was filming a 'Terminator' movie and was still in John Connor mode (if you listen closely, you can hear him switch back and forth between accents).

So, where are we with this performance? Phoenix's brother-in-law Casey Affleck is probably going to use it not merely as a transition between actor and rap artist, but (and if he is smart) also make wider thematic choices.

If Phoenix was truly mentally/emotionally disturbed, then it would have shown up earlier than this. I can't imagine that at this late date it is a delayed reaction to his brother River's death.(Although I always wondered if he really grieved properly over him).

Joaquin Phoenix is however, a daring Oscar caliber actor. Stay tuned for the next episode...

Anonymous said...

HA. Ha Ha. HAHAHAH. Oh hey, Ryan wants to know how far along with BSG you are.

Blog Archive