WELCOME TO DR. B.'S WORLD

This new white format allows me to post complete pics (the other Blogger formats cut them off, practically in half). Pretend you're reading your newspaper or something.

Dates separate each post, barely, so look for the dates on the left. Print is large & readable. Comment section is unchanged. My Profile info was at the bottom, but I moved it back to the top. Deal with it.

[Disclaimer: Pursuant to the UCC (Uniform Comedy Code), all depictions of events and persons on this site are more real than reality itself, and therefore any resemblance to reality is not really real.]

Unbalanced. Unfair. I report. I decide.

ABANDON HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE. If you have already abandoned hope, please disregard this notice. In this blog, you'll be exposed to the way I see things. Lots of things. Stuff I think of. Things that happen. Random weirdness. Occasional seriousness. My life. My world. My universe. My reality. By reading this, you have given me brief control of your mind....

Dr. B.

Dr. B.

About Me

My photo
You damn kids get off my lawn.

Monday, December 1, 2008

SEVEN REASONS WHY HIRING A CLINTON IS NOT SUCH A BAD IDEA


Hillary Clinton is going to be named Secretary of State later today (Monday). Obama's decision to bring on so many Clinton era veterans is causing a whole lot of panic among the pundits. But we're gonna go out on a limb here and say it's really nothing to worry about. Why? Because the Clinton years were actually pretty okay.

We know there's no winning over the conservatives who think Clinton is "the C word." But to all those kids who voted for Barack this year and who were maybe too young to remember what life was like under Bill and Hill, here's why you shouldn't be bummed out by the folks Obama is pallin' around with...

The Years 1993 To 2000 Didn't Suck

A REMINDER


1. The Clintons gave us things like "jobs" and "money." They were very generous like that, making sure we all had a nice, happy economy to enjoy. They even tried to give us this thing called "health care," but that didn't work out.

2. The Clintons did not invade and occupy countries. They just bombed them a little and then went on their way. Much more civilized. And cheap too!

3. You know that feeling you've been having lately when you want to go to a sporting goods store and buy a shotgun and an inflatable raft in case you need to evacuate America and take to the seas in a hurry. We never felt that when Clinton was running things.

4. When conservatives hear about Obama hiring a Clintonite and they complain "That's not change," they're wrong. It is change. If it's not Bush, it's change. They keep trying to steal the "change" word, but we own it. And it means, "Bush sucked, so let's have stuff that's not him next please." If during the last eight years we could've changed back to the Clinton era we would've done it in a heartbeat.

5. Al Gore was big then too. He was Vice President, and he hadn't even made that "Inconvenient Truth" movie yet. That's right, the Clintons were into Al Gore before he was cool. (seriously, dude was not even remotely cool back then)

6. We know Hillary was kind of a dick during the primary. But seriously, if you're young and that was your first real encounter with her, you have to trust us when we say she was just having a bad year. It was really no different than if you worked at a company for a long time climbing the ladder and putting in the hours, and then some new guy comes in and gets the promotion you think you deserve. If you thought you were getting shafted like that, you might make a "3 AM Phone Call" commercial too.

7. Are you freaking kidding? After eight years of Bush you're worried that Hillary being picked as Secretary of State is going to ruin something? Get your head out of your ass! The entire country is on fire! Hillary taking a cabinet post is probably not going to be the thing to send us into the crapper.

In conclusion, Obama, I'm totally cool with you picking Hillary for Secretary of State, not that you give a shit or anything.

66 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phew, I'm sure Obama is ecstatic to read that you approve. He was scared shitless about facing you, you know?

Anonymous said...

Hillary as SOS - she is wonderful and will be a terrific SOS. She would have been a GREAT PRESIDENT AS WELL!!!

Anonymous said...

Say it with me now as we all know we can use the practice:

Secretary Of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Makes ya feel good, doesn't it? Does me. Nice article by the way, doc.

Anonymous said...

"Madame Secretary..." is something I am going to love and relish hearing, every time I see Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton being addressed, interviewed or going about her job, instead of Condi Rice!.....;}

Anonymous said...

If Obama can manage the Clintons, it will prove he can manage anything.

Anonymous said...

Jeez - let me get my magnifying glass so I can read the comments!

Anonymous said...

Hell, get the microscope! WTF?!?

Anonymous said...

MAYBE YOU CAN READ THIS IF I SHOUT -

THANK YOU, FOR YOUR EXCELLENT ARTICLE ABOUT HILLARY. As an Avid Hillary supporter, I want to say, FINALLY SOME ONE HAS WRITTEN A PIECE ABOUT HILLARY THAT IS WORTHY OF HILLARY. CONGRATULATIONS ON A JOB WELL DONE. HILLARY IS THE GREATEST, she would've made an EXCELLENT PRESIDENT....EXCELLENT.

Anonymous said...

Hillary will do an excellent job. She cares about progress,for this country and the world.

Anonymous said...

It is yet to be seen whether her concern for progress, this country and the world outranks concern for her own self interest.

Anonymous said...

How about the fact that she is giving up a safe senate seat for life in order to serve, what, 5 or 6 years for Barack Obama, who has the ability to fire her?

Anonymous said...

Would you please state Ms. Clinton's qualifications to be SOS. She was wrong on the Iraqi War, lied concerning her worldly experiences and certainly is too biased to broker a just settlement between Israel and the Pasitinians. I hope that I am wrong, but I don't see an upside in the appointments of either Hillary or Gates.

Anonymous said...

As far as I can judge, Gates singlehandedly prevented the crazies from attacking Iran. That's something, in fact if it's true it's big. He's also critical of the militarization of US society, and I like him for that. Apparently Obama also needs someone to keep the seat warm for a year, so Gates will be transitional in any case.

Regarding Hillary, I share your bewilderment. She's competent on many things but foreign policy is not one of them. And she's progressive in most domains except foreign policy. Plus foreign policy is the one field where her husband's connections can be embarrassing. So why, of all cabinet posts she could fill, State? Perhaps Obama is just keeping a promise made during the primaries.

Anonymous said...

Well I believe her qualification stem back to her time as the 1st Lady. She has visited 82 countries and probably has built more relationships with foreign leaders than any Democrat (Aside from maybe her husband) in the country today. Yes she was not making split second decision's on emergencies like her Husband was, but her experience on the World Stage is unequaled. Also she served on the Senate Armed Services Committee which gives her foreign policy credentials. So if the goal is to hit the ground running, then having someone who literally knows all the world leaders is crucial. Add to that her senate committees and what I think was a tremendous showing of her knowledge of foreign policy in the presidential debates, I think Obama picked a great person.

Now your main issue seems to be her vote for the war. Yes she voted for it, yes she has since changed her position and really Obama and Hillary differ very little on actual foreign policies. But Hillary will not be acting on her own agenda. She must (or else she will be fired) follow the agenda of the President. If Obama wants to attack a country and gain allies then he sends Hillary to do so, if he wants to pursue peace in a country he sends Hillary to do so. It is not If Hillary wants to attack or pursue peace than she sends herself. See the difference?

Anonymous said...

Hillary Clinton has never sat on a senate foreign relations committee; no advanced degrees in political science or international relations like (Drs. Rice and Albright); no foreign language skills; no international policy initiatives; no NGO experience; no experience running a Cabinet level position; no UN experience, no NSA experience; No fresh ideas on the Middle East, just parrots President Bush; no fresh ideas on world trade; Russia? Nope. Latin America? Forget about it. Asia/China? Hahaha. No foreign relations or diplomatic experience, period.

She may have met many of the world leaders but that was, what, 8+ years ago?

It was a political appointment by the Clintons for support during the campaign. It's the perfect position for the Clintons to maneuver for their international friends and cronies. Now, they can do it legally. If Bill's payola, er contributors(corporate and the like), need open markets in say Japan or China or Brazil. Or, a wealthy contributor needs to get a passport or get out of a mess. Who are they going to call? The Clintons, I would . . .

What's better than having an SoS in the family? Having an ex-president be her husband.

Anonymous said...

I wonder how valid the assumption is that HRC knows many foreign leaders. Like her husband, aren't most of the foreign leaders she undoubtedly knows, no longer in office due to term limits or changes in parliamentary power?

Anonymous said...

Just remember that it was President elect Obama who appointed Clinton not the other way around.

Anonymous said...

Just remember that it was Hillary Clinton who set HER conditions and it was Obama that AGREED
to those conditions BEFORE she decided to take the position.

She will choose HER staff .. I know it just kills you but the truth is the truth.

Anonymous said...

I have a lot of respect for Senator Clinton, but since she is not the only person around who could that job, I think PE Obama had the upper hand. Sure she could've declined his offer, but I don't think he would've lost any sleep over it. He agreed to the things he was comfortable with. Given his style I'm sure it was an amicable negotiation.

Anonymous said...

Just remember he can fire her too.

Anonymous said...

I will get used to the idea of HRC as SOS as long as she remembers who's the boss. I really did not think she would be the best person for the job. But I trust our new President-Elect.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to the day that she resigns in order to spend more time with her family.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to run for office so I can spend less time with my family.

Anonymous said...

Richardson was my first choice, but I support HRC as Obama has picked her. She seems genuinely happy for the first time in a long time. I think she will do a good job and represent us well.
Hopefully Obama has given her "drama rules' so that she can be substantive and not let the noise levels around her confound the message.

Anonymous said...

Wrong choice for SoS. Clinton lacks the international policy or foreign affairs experience. She will talk a good game but will not get a lot accomplished---not even for women. The Clintons (Bill and Hillary) need to open markets for their corporate friends and clients and cronies. What a better position to be for these favors.

Hillary Clinton has never sat on a senate foreign relations committee; no advanced degrees in political science or international relations like (Drs. Rice and Albright); no foreign language skills; no international policy initiatives; no NGO experience; no experience running a Cabinet level position; no UN experience.

Anonymous said...

Although I am not happy with his choice, I will support him. He knows better than we do who is capable of what in his cabinet and how he will work with them.

I voted for this man because I trust his judgment and I will continue to do so until he gives me reason not to.

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent choice. My hat is off to Senator Clinton and President to be Obama.

Anonymous said...

it's hard to believe she is really the best candidate for this post. Obama seems to be trying a little too hard to reach out to everyone, to be all things to all people.

Anonymous said...

Isn't that exactly what he said he would do all along? Reach out and include everybody? Post partisan. One ONE United States, etc...

Anonymous said...

They. were. in. a. competition.

I'll spare you the play by play on the definition of a competition.

Once that competition was over, they united relatively peacefully considering the campaign.

I think it's high time we move past the primaries.

The Clintons and Obamas were friends before the primaries; I think the Clintons even fundraised a bit for Obama's Senate campaign.

If we want to move forward, we cannot obsessively immerse ourselves in the past.

Don't fall into the media-fabricated, endless Clinton-Obama rivalry.

It will get us nowhere.

Anonymous said...

nice paragraphs dude

Anonymous said...

it was a CAMPAIGN grown-ups move on to the next phase... action to accomplish goals.

Anonymous said...

Excellent choice, I'm excited to hear the formal announcement.

Anonymous said...

Rock on

Anonymous said...

so does Bill....

Anonymous said...

VERY good felling about this.

Anonymous said...

the Prez made his choice and I can live with it. Good luck and well wishes Sec. of State Clinton.

Anonymous said...

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!

This is the next best thing to having a Democrat in the White House.

Obama is lining up a dynamite staff around him, crowned by the Hillary selection. I can't wait to see this team in action ASAP!

Anonymous said...

how ironic that she gets to still answer that 3 a.m call before handing the phone to O? Lol

Anonymous said...

Barack Obama = brilliant
Hillary Clinton = brilliant

The entire team that Barack is assembling gives me reason to believe that there is light at the end of this very dark tunnel in which we are now traveling, and that the USA will come out of this on top...once again a beacon of light and hope for the rest of the world.

Barack, we believe in your vision.
Hillary, along with the rest of your team, will help make it a reality.

GODSPEED!

Anonymous said...

Well good luck to Hillary Clinton, she's going to need it to gain the support of staunch critics like me who will be watching her like a hawk. I won't forget all the nastiness she threw at Obama during the primary season because she felt entitled to the Presidency. Maybe water-carrying for Obama will tone her ego down, just like I hope it tones Lieberman's ego down carrying water for Obama. And hopefully Bill keeps his d@mned pants zipped up and doesn't bring down Obama's presidency with his ego. You can't deny that the Clintons are the most polarizing political figures in history next to the Bush/Cheney regime.

Good luck Hillary Clinton.

Anonymous said...

I trust Barack's judgement, but I am quite less than thrilled about it. The things Hillary said and did during the primaries were just dirty, and to me, indicative of who she really is. But like I said, I trust Obama, so, let's see how things go.

Anonymous said...

Obama knows what he is doing. You know he's thought about this long and hard. He's choosing dynamic competent people to execute his vision. I am so impressed with the individuals Obama has selected so far including and especially Hillary Clinton. Hillary has proved herself, Obama thinks she's up to the task and at least 18 million people think she's worthy too. Go Team Obama!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hillary Clinton good a choice as any for Secretary of State I guess, since President-elect Obama can't get his first choice--ME. I declined to serve because of a severely sprained ankle. He was disappointed but evidently he moved on.

Anonymous said...

lol

you get me every time adlib

now I have to wipe pepsi off my keyboard

Anonymous said...

Kudos to AdLib

Dr. B.'s blog is lighthearted and funny, so why are so many commenters here so serious?

Anonymous said...

because we don't have doc's brilliant (and twisted) sense of humor, so we settle for serious I guess, but I'll try...

AdLib told me of his disappointment being passed over for secretary of state today at lunch.

Then the bastard stuck me with the check.

Anonymous said...

first combination of an African American man and a white woman since, well, Michael Jackson.

Anonymous said...

Like a lot of women in Washington, I think she's just starting to realize she didn't sleep with Bill Clinton for nothing.

Anonymous said...

Hillary Clinton's camp says she did not actively seek the Secretary of State position. Passive-aggressively seek it, yes.

Anonymous said...

She's still trying to put that whole Bosnia sniper fire thing behind her. She said, 'It's been so long since I've been pinned down by anyone.'

Anonymous said...

ouch! lol

Anonymous said...

You familiar with the Hillary Clinton 3 a.m. phone call commercial she ran during the primaries? As secretary of state, the phone rings at 3 a.m., Hillary answers the phone, she picks it up, and she says "Stop bothering me, President Obama!"

Anonymous said...

Hillary now says that she just made an honest mistake when she said she had to duck sniper fire in Bosnia. There was no hostile fire of any kind. Although, ironically, while she was away, Bill Clinton did see some action.

Anonymous said...

lol

Anonymous said...

A lot of people thought she would be done if she didn't get the SoS position, but just like Bill always says, Hillary does not go down without a fight.

Anonymous said...

I get it...go down

I see what you did there LOL

Anonymous said...

She got the job because she told Barack, 'We should pretend to like each other, just like Bill and I do.'

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to her, despite all the predictions by the pundits, Hillary Clinton refused to roll over. How many times has Bill heard that?

Anonymous said...

She was extremely critical of NAFTA, even though the program was implemented by Bill Clinton. When asked about it, Hillary said, 'It's not just NAFTA. I'm also opposed to my husband's views on MILFs.'

Anonymous said...

"In an upcoming interview with the gay magazine The Advocate, Hillary Clinton says the rumors about her being a lesbian are not true and she says she's never had sex with a woman, no matter how many times Bill has begged her to." --Jay Leno

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the Xmas novelty item - a Hillary Clinton nutcracker that cracks nuts between its legs....

Hillary calls the nutcracker silly, and Bill Clinton calls it chillingly lifelike

Anonymous said...

When Hillary becomes secretary of state, there are rumors she will be replaced in the Senate by her husband, Bill Clinton. When asked about it, Bill Clinton said, 'I dream of replacing Hillary every day.

Anonymous said...

winner and still champion, AdLib! LOL

Dr. B. said...

I have no idea why the comment section now shows up so miniscule. I have no control over it. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Not a problem doc. I'm a lawyer, so I can read small print.

Blog Archive