
By now we have all seen the signs, heard the shouts, watched the footage of protesters calling Obama a nazi for trying to reform health care. And, until this week, they had all gotten away with it. Enter Barney Frank. At a health care town hall in Dartmouth, MA, a woman asked, "Why are you supporting this nazi policy?"
Frank responded with a question asking,"On what planet do you spend most of your time?" He called her question "vile, contemptible nonsense," and said "Trying to have a conversation with you would be like arguing with a dining room table."
Jon Stewart gave Frank "snaps" last night and suggested other insults he could use in the future.
WATCH:
| The Daily Show With Jon Stewart | Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c | |||
| Barney Frank's Town Hall Snaps | ||||
| ||||
.

134 comments:
Doc's back! Awesome. Great blog!
"Obama is Hitler"
"Yeah, and you're a dining room table"
ROFL
welcome back doc!
It's not only silly, but heinous and sinful to be comparing health care reform plans to the Nazis plans to wipe an ethnic group from the face of the earth. If you're going to say something that stupid, you deserve much worse than Frank gave this woman--he was GENTLE with her.
Props to Frank and Stewart, and kudos to doc for blogging again, and so wonderfully! I never knew about this til now.
Good for Frank. I loved his response. In my opinion, her facial response showed that deep down she knew she was being ridiculous to prove a point and he called her on it.
Leave it to Fox News to always share their "very special" slant to anything the Democrats do. Never mind the incendiary remark by this person referring to the POTUS as Hitler.
Maybe it was inpolitic to say it, but Barney's essentially right. Reasoned discourse with these people is impossible. It would however be illuminating to find out where these people come by their opinions. Just kidding, I think we already know.
It's not 'inpolitic' when you're dealing with LaRouche nutters.
heir opinions come from that little known planet that has supplanted poor Pluto as the 9th in our solar system - Theiranus.
She made a nazi analogy and expected a Jewish homosexual congressman to take it well? I say way to go Barney Frank!
now that's a Frank I can believe in
Kudos to doc and to John Stewart for featuring this clip.
& you go Barney! ...I'm proud you are my Rep!
It is about time someone stood up to these Looney-Tunes !
It's the only way to engage these nutballs because they are not capable of critical thought.
Barney's right, you can't have a discussion with someone who lacks any form of critical thinking.
Thanks for the video of Frank, doc. Glad you're blogging again.
Thanks too doc for the pic of the dining room table. Hilarious! LOL
And another score for Stewart, this was spot on.
First his "Loan Arranger" comment and now this!
Frank is a funny man! I love me some Barney!
There were 232 comments on your last blog back on Sat. 08-15-09!! Mostly because you blogposted some comments that kept us going.
But today's blog is Dr. B. in full form: Headline, funny pic, and two videos, plus commentary.
Kudos doc!
co-sign
And if that hapless woman actually graduated from high school and college, that is indeed a scary thing.
She needs to get some ed-u-macation.
Go Barney!
Following the educational trail blazed by Sarah Palin!
Snuffaluffagus said the lady was a Larouche activist. Is that true?
Yes.
When Ted Kennedy resigns his seat, Barney should run to replace him. The dems need a strong voice like Barney's in the Senate.
I quite agree. Go Barney!!!!!
Agreed. Kennedy actually sent our Governor a letter asking him to amend the law to ensure MA has two senators when the health bill vote is taken instead of waiting 5 months for a special election.
Fox news is the worst. We need Jon Stewart to counteract their lies.
Oh yeah, here's something for ya:
Fox employs pedophiles.
Fox News producer facing child porn charges after federal agents discovered photos and videos on his computer.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0210093foxnews1.html
Bwaaa Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Oddly enough, Stephen Colbert upped the story 1 level, by tying to interview an oak table, that (it turns out) actually is in support of public health care. He couldn't even get his desk lamp to offer support - it sided with the table!
Barney called 'em on it, and rightly so.
The "lady" may have been an extremist far far left wing Lyndon LaRouch follower, but that doesn't make her anything close to a "democrat".
If anything, her question about "Nazi policies" fits her right in with the Fox "news" crowd.
The REAL Nazis...
you can't reason with extremists whether they're from the right or the left. They're whackos. It's just that the repub base seems to be primarily composed of such nutjobs lately. The majority of dems for the most part are still sane
Stewart is stupid and lazy. He implied that the lady protester is a Republican and she's not. She's a LaRouche leftists. She's to the left of Obama health care reform.
a LaRouche leftists .. she's a plural LOL
Yeah. Larouche is a leftist. And I'm a unicorn. I just made both claims, so they must be true.
LaRouche is nothing but cr@zy. A cr@zy person is likely to label themselves just about anything.
"Larouche leftist?" "Repug?" Who cares? If she is either one, I rest my case. Screwball.
You go too far right or left and mostly all you get is crazy. The LaRouche group proves this.
just bc the ppl who made the signs are leftists, I don't think the ones holding them are...and quite frankly, if I were to tell them that larouche IS indeed a left affiliate, they'd set the signs on fire.
Regardless of her political persuasion, her question was asinine.
Barney Frank was right on the money. Sometimes you just gotta call stupid, stupid.
Jon had a heck of a program ! Between him and Frank it was a GREAT day to be a liberal.
Glad doc's back to focus on it all.
He never really left. Go back and check thru all the comments on his last (Saturday') blog; you'll find that doc 'blogged' satirically in several comments which commenters were able to respond to.
I'm glad the audio/visual part of his blog is back. For some weird reason, it's impossible to post pictures, photos, videos, etc. in this comment section. (and the comment section went weird after the 200th comment, dividing comments into before and after).
It was in the right-wing talking points they get emailed to them each morning that neocons should spend their unpaid time loyally posting the right-wing talking points all over teh interwebs (while their richer-than-God masters laugh at them) .
Hey, AZ, do you get paid by the word or just by the comment?
Do you get more if you spell words correctly?
I heart Jon Stewart!!
We've got ridiculous numbers of Americans actually believing this crap about death panels and Nazi health care (as if there was such a thing) because the media is more interested in the antics of the other side than fact-checking. You've got "respected" elected republicans actually repeating these bits of bullshit as if they're facts. Taking the high road just doesn't work when things have devolved into a street brawl. These people need to be ridiculed for their idiocy, reviled for their hate. I don't mind a debate on issues, but once she brought up Nazis, she deserved a complete smackdown.
Some health insurance company shill comes up with some utter baloney just to try to link Obama's Plan to Nazi Germany.
And like good little sheep, the nutjobbies run down to their local town hall and make complete fools of themselves asking questions with no semantic content.
Questions that equate to: " What are you going to do about all these fascist sequoias rampaging around on our national highway system?"
Null and void on all counts.
If Senator Frank lost his temper and slapped down a mouth that had no brain attached, just a recorder spewing pre-digested and scripted pap, I can hardly blame him. I lost my patience with fools long ago.
Can anyone tell me what Larouche actually supports / believes? I've read up, but the more I read, the more confused I become.
Is he just an opportunist with no real platform? 'Cuz this stuff is loony.
Yes, there is a websight. If all LaRouche wanted as single payer I wouldn't have a problem with that, I would still have issues with the Hltler comparisons though. LaRouche though is crazy and all over the place and it's really out there. I think an opportunist is a good word for it, assuming it is logical thought he puts into it. I'm still kinda siding with crazy though.
aren't they part of the 'religious' right?
LaRouche claims he is a far left Democrat. I could claim I was a bunny rabbit, but it doesn't make it anymore true than his claim. I think he is a loon, so probably, it fits the profile.
Umm no, Lyndon runs as a democrat. They are left wing extremists.
Larouche is a "former" Trotskyite like his "neo-conservative" opponents.
He's trying to infiltrate and take over the Democratic Party the way Podhertz, Kristol et al did to the Republicans.
He is around to poison the progressive well.
This so called "protester" person, asked for it. She went to the Town Hall meeting, not to ask, not to learn, but to attack. Today, she is one of the best jokes. I hope she has children and that her children are shamed because of her mother's stupidity!
She did not appear to feel shame or embarrassment.
stupld people have an amazing ability to self justify. They never seem to be capable of being embarrassed, because they are not capable of discerning appropriate and inappropriate behavior.
Likely she still thinks she was right.
photo
It appeared to me that she had a talking point, and once she said it, had nothing more to say. If she really knew what she was saying or believed it, she might have been more forceful in her delivery and had something to come back with, but there was nothing.... total deer in the headlights. Tells me all I needed to know....
which was exactly frank's point about the "dining room table." these teabagging afterbirthing shouters and ranters are just the same old white racists with a tablecloth of new slogans thrown over the top. once you pull off the cloth they have nothing to say
As a 'fan' of children.....I hope she doesn't have any.
i had an argument with a dining room table last week.. the dining table won. My arm's in a cast now.
lol!!
photo
Dude! You need to exercise your second amendment rights and arm yourself with a chain saw. Full Auto!
Stand up to that dining room table. Don't let it bully you. You have nothing to lose but your china.
... and maybe some glassware and utensils, but you know what I mean.
We're all in the same boat running out of food.
What's the conservative plan for when the food runs out?
We'll eat each other when the food runs out - everyone for himself
What's the progressive plan?
We can see dry land from here - let's work together and paddle to shore.
nice analogy!
LOL!
The conservative Plan... Soylent Green.
I like the red crackers better...
Ignoring the problem is the conservative way. Let people suffer.
Conservatism discards Prescription, shrinks from Principle, disavows Progress; having rejected all respect for antiquity, it offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future.
-- Benjamin Disraeli
It is reflected in the fact that commonly the only repub answer to any and all economic and social issues our country faces is 'tax cuts'.
There is a dark cloud of anti intellectualism and mediocrity that hovers over the USA. Our country is stooopit. We are heading down the road of a dark comedy, but it's not funny to me.
These town hall shouters are the ancestors of the people in the future that will allow a sports drink company to monopolize the country and purchase the FDA. This conglomerate will tell our descendants that they should put Gatorade on our food crops and the stooopits will believe them. "Its got electrolytes!"
Check out the movie "Idiocracy" for a glimpse into the future of the USA if these people are not quickly put to ridicule. The minute we stop laughing at these people and start taking them seriously, we are doomed and headed towards a future of a monopolized hell full of dumb stooopit people. (Yes, I know how to spell stupid...these folks are stooopit!!!)
even though it was a comedy, that movie really scared me. it seems very prescient now
Comedy is often a medium for showing unpleasant truths in a way people can better deal with.
We have long ago started down the path that will make the movie "Idocracy" a documentary of our future.
like the documentary about our present mess called THEY LIVE
I am more inclined to believe in the existence of idiots than aliens on this planet.
there's nothing new about the dark clouds of anti-intellectualism
obscuring the light of reason in america
william burroughs complained about it five decades ago
hawkrew has Electrolytes!
did burroughs write about electrolytes?
I think it is Brondo, and it is a sports drink company that takes over all of corporate America and the government in the movie "Idiocracy" that is their motto.
actually its...
"Brawndo: The Thirst Mutilator", a sports drink advertised as rich in electrolytes, for virtually every purpose, including crop irrigation.
- wikipedia
that said, I think pancake was being an idiot :)
And Edward R. Murrow warned that
"If television pandered to the national appetite for the superficial, it would hasten the softening of the American brain. "
Finally someone responds to the idiocy of some of these "fake" Town Hall Protesters, and the imminent Jon Stewart gives it the proper perspective. Did you see the morning shows on the TeeVee today? Everyone had the clip of Jon Stewart doing his bit?
So yeah, the woman was an 1d1ot, but Jon Stewart's treatment of her and Congressman's Barney Frank's response will live on in infamy.
Thank you Jon.
yes indeed!
And hopefully, it'll start a trend.
Use talking points at your own risk, righties.
Unfortunately Stewart and Colbert are off for 3 weeks.
Which means the nut jobs will have full reign to spread their insanity.
We need you back 100% doc in these trying timezzz
lol
How can we have honest debate in this country when one side of the debate believes in utter nonsense?
When did stupidity become political discourse?
Wing Nuts can say absolutely anything and the Corporate Media repeats it like intellectual lap dogs.
Then add the fact that the stupidtiy is created, promulgated and organized by paid Washington lobbyists. Corporate shills.
And if it weren't for a few individuals like Doc and Frank and Stewart and Colbert there would be no one speaking common sense.
I sometimes fear for my country. Goebbells was a rank amateur when it came to propaganda.
Barney Frank you make me proud . I would have love to see the look on her face after Barney return fire. Priceless!
Jon always acknowledges those that stand up to m0rons. Frank did such a sweet job.
Thank you Congressman Frank for finally stating why no arguments are needed. Thank you Jon for being yourself.....LMAO thank you both...... and Doc for posting these
Barney has really grown on me over the years. That was awesome, and absolutely correct and appropriate.
Seconded. And Stewart was brilliant as usual.
The lady with a time share on another planet was pushing a BIG LIE. The kind the Nazis were famous for. The real Nazis, not the pretend ones made up by spin doctors.
Maybe she was real (and pathetically ignorant and indoctrinated), maybe she's a shill. No matter. The only counter to a BIG LIE is to call out the Big LIE and the BIG LIAR.
Debating a BIG LIAR is as pointless as releasing the clutch when the gearshift is in neutral....there is no chance of engagement.
There can be no give and take in such a debate - just a Fox Friendly blather-fest with plenty of give (as in, stick-it-to-'em) by both sides.
Frank understands the BIG LIE, his ancestors were on the receiving end of arguably the biggest BIG LIE in recorded history. Frank understands there is a time to fight, The Republican Party is playing with fire.
Especially their intimidation veiled in 2nd Amendment rights. They can pursue that path, but that choice means they reject the last election, and our Constitutional system of governance.
Treason by any name. So be it, but this path will surely lead to gunfire. GOP, act your age. You are a minority, and the 2nd amendment applies to all US citizens. The US Civil War was not as glamorous as modern reenactments make it out to be.
Loved it. The expression on the woman's face was priceless, completely out of her league intellectually and unable to continue discourse after making her absurd Hitler remark. It's as if Frank was speaking a language she could not understand. That must be what a deer looks like seconds before a truck smashes into it.
haha yeah. Notice how all these townhallers have their little speeches practiced, their voices get all crackly and they start getting winded and then with one good shot they fall apart?
So bad at public speaking and so nutty, all it takes is a good refutation.
The conservative position on life:
You WILL be born so we can tell you how to live, then deny you help to live, while we profit from your life.
Poor people make them money.
And in other news, CNN is reporting that the death of the singer Michael Jackson has been ruled a primetime special, network sources confirm.
"Based on the latest report of the Los Angeles coroner, we are ruling Mr. Jackson's death a primetime special to be aired at 9 PM eastern, 8 central," a CNN spokesperson said.
Sources close to the Jackson investigation were waiting in recent days to see whether the singer's death would be ruled a primetime special or merely a series of updates spread across the network's schedule.
But with the news that his death had been ruled a primetime special, the network was already hard at work teaching Larry King how to pronounce all the drugs found in Michael Jackson's body.
LMFAO!!
If his insomnia was that bad, why didn't Michael Jackson go to a sleep clinic?
From all I've read, MJ had sought help for his insomnia all over the world for at least 8 years. It was likely related to his Lupus (and chronic pain) as well as severe anxiety. Sometimes the answer isn't as simple (or easy) as a sleep clinic or meditation.
It seems MJ wasn't self-medicating or shooting himself up with narcotics - he was just trying to sleep - and took every precaution to make sure he'd wake up too. Bottom line is that the Dr who administered the drugs that killed MJ is 100% at fault. Making sure MJ survived the treatment he administered was his only job and he failed.
I guess the doc's malpractice insurance premiums will be going up.
This year's major understatement. Thank you.
This doctor will have no practice and no shirt when the Jackson's go for the money. They can hardly wait.
I do feel sorry for the Jackson family and more so for the children, but Michael Jackson was an addict and wanted drugs of any kind. IF I can not sleep I play free cell, read a book or something until I get sleepy. Why start a habit?
Strike up the media circus.
Michael Jackson, first victim of Palin's Death Panel.
I think we have a lone gunman on the grassy knoll.
Strike up the media circus again.
I wonder if Dr. Murray's trial will be covered nonstop like OJ's
Oh good, I was starting to miss the wall-to-wall coverage of this crap.
Nice. I have been wondering why the Michael Jackson is still alive crowd hasn't been making their way out of the woodwork.
Give it time.
waiting for the other glove to drop.
It's always Colonel Mustard in the library with the candlestick. Always.
Well....it looks like MJ blew his last bubbles.
YEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!
Hmmmmm.....looks like food poisoning....he ate a three year old weiner before keeling over.
YEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!
Wait...he's still alive....he wants to be taken to children's hospital.
YEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!
Hmmm...a suicide note. *Pause* It says that he wants to be cremated by the Pepsi Corporation.
YEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!
OK, I'm done. Was hoping I'd get an opportunity to use those. Thanks doc. LOL
One more then I'll quit.
Micheal died at 3:15.
That was predictable.
Why?
Because (pause) it's when the big hand touches the little hand.
YEEEEAAAH!
murray fessed up to giving jackson two injections of sedatives and then administering the propofol...then going off to talk on his cell phone for 45 minutes!!! not that jackson wasn't a willing participant, but shit people, looks like negligent homicide to me...
photo
The doctor knowingly gave him an extremely dangerous narcotic over an extended period of time and then left his patient to fend for himself. This is a narcotic used only in ERs or for surgery. The doctor gave it to him for insomnia. Imagine if it had been a nanny or housekeeper, would thta not be homicide? Why would it be any less of a crime for a doctor.
not a narcotic.....it is a general anesthetic used for induction prior to surgery (so that one can be intubated without recalling the event.)
Gross medical malpractice and negligent homicide. Throw the book at him.
Wait! Not so fast! I think he should be the official doctor of the republican party and its supporters in the msm. It might take a while, but one by one.....
Enough with that silly talk... if you think they're trying to smear Obama as a Nazi now, what do you think will happen if your joke gets out??
sorry, just a thought... gave me a quiet mental laugh, so I shared it. My bad.
Just as long as Dr. Conrad Murray is not practicing medicine anywhere near me.
I came here to laugh about doc's blog, Barney Frank, and Jon Stewart. I had to scroll back a ways to see that doc threw another blogcomment in and changed the topic to Michael Jackson. Until I got things straightened out, I thought Jon was saying Barney killed Michael. LOL. I am too fucking gullible, cause I'd believe it...
conrad dear i must leave you here.
but mind now conrad what i say
don't suck your thumbs while i'm away.
for all young children that suck their thumbs ;
the great long-legged scissor man comes ;
and lo they know what he is about,
he takes his long legged scissors out
he cuts their thumbs with a snip and a snap.....
and though the mother just turned her back
the thumb was in-- ALACK, ALACK--
thus the great long legged scissor man appeared--
and cut off conrad with his shears
WTF?
My husband has been in medical practice for 30 years and myself in medical practice for 16 years. We both know that particular medication is only to be used by a licensed anesthesiologist and ONLY in the surgical setting of a hospital or surgical center where a crash cart is available and ACLS team is available.
This doctor is liable and should be charged with either second degree murder or manslaughter. He will also lose his license, as he should!
Propofol is also used in ICUs to sedate patients, esp those with lines which are in danger of being pulled out or intubated patients. The patient is monitored with a pulse ox, and caridiac monitor. RNs administer and monitor and keep the patient in view at all times. I would not be surprised to find it used in out patient surgery such as a plastic surgeons surgical practice. It is a very safe drug because if the patient gets into trouble all you have to do is turn it off and they wake up. It is especially helpful in the ICU with neurological problems because the patient can be awakened, neuro checked and put back down quickly. The key is competent, vigilant staff and proper equipment.
Exactly my point!
ICUs are in the hospital setting and outpatient surgeries are done in surgical settings, both of these units are equipped for any type of emergency which could arise from the use of Propofol. It is NOT safe in an out of hospital or out of surgical area setting.
at least it can be said that Michael Jackson went quietly in his sleep.
Mj is sleeping now..
Primum non nocere
"first do no harm"
I was the last to comment on doc's previous blog (comment #232), and if you would be so good to grant me the honor, I would like to be the last to comment on today's blog (comment # 136).
I read all 232 comments from before to know I was the 232nd, and all 135 of today's to learn this would be the 136th comment.
Enough is more than enough, people! Can we scale back a bit here? Maybe comment every other day or once a week? As much as I LOVE doc's blog and all the comments, I really am finding it hard to read everything.
Thanks for your time.
Post a Comment